Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need to rebed new brake pads on previously bedded rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:15 PM
p997s123
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Do I need to rebed new brake pads on previously bedded rotors?

Putting new Pagid yellows on my car, replacing a previous set of yellows. Do I still need to bed the new pads? I assume the rotors already have pad material deposited from the old pads. I've read the posts on bedding procedures.....still unsure if I can just bed them on the track during a few laps (Sebring). TIA
Old 04-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes
Old 04-04-2011, 03:15 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

oh yes!

The reason, is to heat the pads so hot that they cook all the resins out. Ive put a new rotor on a used set of pads. they were good the first lap. I dont know how much the "coating" of the pad material is really important.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:34 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I always take new pads and scuff them on the concrete to knock off the glazing prior installing a new set.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,560 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by p997s123
Putting new Pagid yellows on my car, replacing a previous set of yellows. Do I still need to bed the new pads? I assume the rotors already have pad material deposited from the old pads. I've read the posts on bedding procedures.....still unsure if I can just bed them on the track during a few laps (Sebring). TIA

Just drive them easily for a few laps...
Old 04-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually put in a new set on a practice session or DE weekend. I always notice the first session as I warm them up they start off pretty good, get a little "green" fade and then the next session out they are good to go.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:13 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

From Pagids Website. Google can be your friend.

http://www.pagidracing.com/brakepadbedding.html

Brake Pad Bedding Procedure

PLEASE NOTE:
IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE BEDDING IN PROCEDURES ARE BEING DONE ONLY ON A RACE TRACK. PAGID RACING MATERIAL IS NOT LEGAL FOR STREET USE.

Why bedding?

To transfer a layer of friction material onto the brake disc faces to achieve maximum performance.
To stabilize compressible materials to avoid a spongy pedal.
To boil off volatile elements in the friction compound in order to have the initial ‘green’ fading during bedding and not during the race.
To align the pad surface with the brake disc surface to have full contact.
If pads do not get bedded properly and / or used too hard right out of the box will likely lead to pad glazing. Pad glazing is a condition where the resins in the pad crystallize on both, the pad friction surface and the brake disc surface, resulting in poor stopping performance, brake judder and vibrations.
Also rapidly escaping volatile elements and moisture from the resin would seek an immediate escape route out of the friction compound, creating small fissures that would lead shortly to cracking and chunking.

1.) BASIC BEDDING IN
To initiate some heat in the brake discs and pads.

4 to 6 stops with medium brake pressure from approximately 150 km/h (90 MPH) to approximately 80 km/h (50 MPH).
Distance between each brake stop approximately 300 - 400 meters (300 to 400 yards).
The pads should not reach temperatures above 400° Centigrade (550° Fahrenheit).
No dragging!
Blocking of the air ducts might be helpful to reach appropriate temperatures quicker.

2.) IMMEDIATELY AFTER BASIC BEDDING IN AT HIGH SPEED
Simulating race conditions
One stop with medium to heavy brake pressure, without allowing brakes to lock from approximately 180 km/h (110 MPH) to approximately 80 km/h (50 MPH).
No dragging!
Recovery stops with light brake pressure 3 to 4 times. (Cleaning procedure)
Repeat the high-speed stops including recovery stops 2 to 3 times.
Allow a cool-off distance of approximately 500 m (500 yards) between high-speed stops.

BRAKE DISCS
If possible, pads should be bedded on used but NOT worn out brake discs.
Pagid brake pad material can be used either on solid, grooved or cross-drilled discs.
For disc bedding please refer to the disc manufacturers’ own instruction.

MOUNTING NEW PADS ON USED DISCS
Edges of pad surface should be filed roughly to 45 degrees to ensure that the pad carries fully and evenly and is not touching the edge of the disc.
Do not use discs, which are pre-bedded, or have been used with friction material other than PAGID.

PAGID racing pads are developed for high performance events. Motorsport is dangerous. PAGID racing pads are sold without warranty, expressed or implied. No warrant or representation is made as to this product’s ability to protect the user from injury or death. The user assumes that risk.

©2006 Brake Technology of America
Old 04-05-2011, 02:24 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

If you are not going racing.... maybe. otherwise, that is just bad advice.
They need to be cooked to be bedded and ready to race. Even the site has the details. "5-6 meadium pressure stops " , that means first 5 turns. then you need to drive hard for a lap. they will feel a little weak and smell a lot . couple of laps in, do a cool down lap, and they are now ready to race.
driving easy for a few laps will not do it and thats dangerous advice for anyone going to race with these pads. I certainly wouldnt want to be in front of a guy that bedded his pads this way at Laguna!
again, your know it all attitude is going to get someone hurt!

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Just drive them easily for a few laps...
Old 04-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
If you are not going racing.... maybe. otherwise, that is just bad advice.
They need to be cooked to be bedded and ready to race. Even the site has the details. "5-6 meadium pressure stops " , that means first 5 turns. then you need to drive hard for a lap. they will feel a little weak and smell a lot . couple of laps in, do a cool down lap, and they are now ready to race.
driving easy for a few laps will not do it and thats dangerous advice for anyone going to race with these pads. I certainly wouldnt want to be in front of a guy that bedded his pads this way at Laguna!
again, your know it all attitude is going to get someone hurt!
Sorry, Mark, you're wrong. Again. If he already has the same Pagid material on his rotors, my advice works. You should try it sometime.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:49 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Oh you 2 at it again... I'm waiting for the graphic charts now...LOL
Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Nah, I have said my piece & am done. Just differing opinions. I have gone out on brand new Pagids in a client's race car where the previous pads were the same Pagids. While Pagids do take a bit more break in that PFC 01's or 06's (which are my preference, and which take none), a few easy laps were all it took to verify that the new pads had ditched all their compound release crap, were brought gently up to temperature, and were 100% good to go.

No charts, no graphs, just real world experience.

Pagid, of course, has to put stringent bedding instructions out there (just as PFC does), both for liability reasons & because it's better to be safe than sorry, especially with some folks who are less than fastidious about what combination of pads they use with the same rotors.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

VR...not your charts...LOL ya know.

I use to freak out about bedding in pads. I'd take a drive to this miles long deserted country road in the middle of no where to bed in the pads.

Now I just put them in and drive from Tampa to Sebring and drive at 6-7/10ths for the 1st session. After that everything feels great. I watched race teams at the 24hr put in new pads and go race or have new pads in the calpers and do a quick disconete on the caliper and go race. No bed in at all.

Speaking of pads...I'm itching to try something else besides Pagid...just to see if there is anything better. I'm thinking of either some PFC or Endless next time.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:36 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by p997s123
drive the first session at 6/10ths with a couple hot laps and a good cool down lap. You'll be just fine after that.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:44 PM
darrendeguire
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with VR. I never start a race without a little bed in activity in the paddock, but for a practice session its no problem after a lap or two. At least that's my experience.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:02 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
VR...not your charts...LOL ya know.

I use to freak out about bedding in pads. I'd take a drive to this miles long deserted country road in the middle of no where to bed in the pads.

Now I just put them in and drive from Tampa to Sebring and drive at 6-7/10ths for the 1st session. After that everything feels great. I watched race teams at the 24hr put in new pads and go race or have new pads in the calpers and do a quick disconete on the caliper and go race. No bed in at all.

Speaking of pads...I'm itching to try something else besides Pagid...just to see if there is anything better. I'm thinking of either some PFC or Endless next time.
I miss that road. Even pulling a trailer it's a nice trip.

Quick Reply: Do I need to rebed new brake pads on previously bedded rotors?