Sponsored by:

PCA Sprint Start Protocol in Rain

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 11:35 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PCA Sprint Start Protocol in Rain

Finally looked at my Vid from the 2nd Sprint on Sat at RA last week. Noticed a pretty slick move on the warm up laps. It was pouring rain so many were poking along on the two warm ups. One guy who came out staged to my left picked his way through the group, while under full course yellows, moving up about 8 places before the start. He was clearly faster so I'm not complaining about him being ahead but I am curious as to whether this is common in bad conditions. All of the move up (passes) were under double yellow warm up laps.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:49 AM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no unles he was SEVENTH!
Old 04-02-2011, 11:55 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

LOL!!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:38 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Watched again, pretty slick moves. The car was from a faster class & apparently didn't have a time from the prior session as he was gridded to the rear with me (didn't have a time either). He was staged to the outside position at the split but moved to the inside going up the hill and then slipped by several cars between flag stations & on the back straight from the inside position. None of the cars he passed were in his class from what I could see in the video but he sure did move up a bunch at the start.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Reminds me of Rosie Ruiz and the Boston marathon.

Now I don't race but this story rubs me the wrong way. This is Club Racing right?
I think a strong case can be made to rat this person out to PCA. This was really unsportsmanlike and likely dangerous. If the guy isn't called out on it he'll likely do something similar again. Sounds like the Red Mist was at play.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:42 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

Chris, was he originally gridded behind you? If not then he was just playing catch up.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:59 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

At the "split' for the start of the race we were side by side. If it weren't pouring it wouldn't have happened. From 2 down to 5 the cars went single file because of the rivers of water. He took advantage of the situation, moved over from my left to in front of me and then moved by people from the inside position from 7 thru 10A on the first lap of two yellow warm up laps. Part of the problem was the pace car didn't slow very much on the back straight so we were pretty strung out for the two laps and the for the start. He was one of the faster cars in group 3. I'm not complaining, just trying to understand PCA protocol. In those very difficult conditions is it accepted, even if not completely within the rules, for slower cars to let a faster car move up on the pace laps? Back in my SCCA days it wasn't allowed but just wondering if things are a little different in PCA.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carreracoupe997
Chris, was he originally gridded behind you? If not then he was just playing catch up.
Shouldn't matter where he was in false grid. Once you come out of false grid and are formed by the grid official you are set in stone. If he then picked people off on the pace laps then he should get DQ'd.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:31 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
If he then picked people off on the pace laps then he should get DQ'd.
agreed.

I was on the pole for a restart in the enduro and the 2nd place car got beside me and tried to pass in 10B and again before 12... before green passing is not allowed, sorry.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:27 PM
DanR
Drifting

Chris, post up the video - we all want to see his (or her) move
Old 04-02-2011, 05:38 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Post the vid for fun, but it's pretty basic that you can't advance under full course yellow, let alone pace laps. No way.

Unless he was seventh, true!
Old 04-02-2011, 05:53 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Post the vid for fun, but it's pretty basic that you can't advance under full course yellow, let alone pace laps. No way.

Unless he was seventh, true!
It would be educational
Old 04-02-2011, 06:15 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Post the video, what's the big deal?......

The race is over now, so there are no repercussions for the yellow flags' violator.....

BTW, were the flaggers asleep?.....
Old 04-02-2011, 08:42 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Just got the Hero, got to figure out how to edit down to a smaller file using IPhoto/IMovie.

BTW, were the flaggers asleep?.....[/QUOTE]

It was raining hard, cars weren't side by side due to the streams crossing the track so they alternated between two by two and single file. It's a long distance from turn 7 to black flag at RA and the next station is down the hill into 10A.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:44 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
Just got the Hero, got to figure out how to edit down to a smaller file using IPhoto/IMovie.

BTW, were the flaggers asleep?.....
In my limited racing experience, I have seen a lot of passes under yellow that were not caught by the flaggers, as I always note the car number and check the results. Only once in six race weekends have a seen a one lap penalty on the final results for passing under yellow.

Quick Reply: PCA Sprint Start Protocol in Rain