Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for your consideration.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:32 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in that situation in PBOC races all the time. Me and the Vipers and Corvettes. IMHO those cars are both as fast or faster than ours (yours and mine) sorry. but the answer to your question is that his car should be faster than yours (sorry) and you compensate by being a better driver.

now my car(was like yours) is 2700 pounds and 700hp you can use that if you like next time you are at sebring!

tom

Old 03-31-2011, 10:41 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 267 Posts

Can we finish that Kibort/VR grudge match at the same time? I'll be selling tickets to that event.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:41 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Funny you mention that. I did the very thing, told him: "We both time in each other's car, then in our own. I guarantee I'll post a better time in both." He chickened out, said something to the effect that his seat was fixed, could not be adjusted, etc. (something that would only be to his advantage, as I'm shorter than him).

This guy is the king of lame excuses, so much so that at one of our events we all signed a shop towel with a sharpie, offering new ideas for excuses, called it "Ed's excuse towel" and handed it to him in an impromptu ceremony at the track.

Just yesterday he was calling me a chicken for not accepting his "challenge" to time our cars against each other at our next event. He also offered this subtle hint as to his intentions:
"Now I just have three weeks to trailer Vette over to England Green in Houston and add the 175hp head/cam package. Should be ready in time...."

He's gonna need each and every one of those extra horsies to even come close to my time.
What an idiot. He just doesn't get it.
This guy sounds like the bastard son of GhettoRacer and Mark Kibort!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah, we have a timing system with a transponder at the track. It's pretty accurate.
Guy is not a bad driver. Just has a big ego, thinks he's all that and then some.
I love proving him wrong.

Hey VR, I'd love to have you coach me on the Radical, bro!
Surprised he didn't say that traffic held him up.

In that case, what about doing a time-trial event, and have official times with less room for excuses...

-Z
Old 03-31-2011, 11:26 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, his car SHOULD be faster than yours, but AWD is like cliff notes, it gives you shortcuts to the end result. If your car is only 500 hp, he should walk you badly on the straights, stop way better and turn at least as fast. Your only advantage is being able to put more power down on corner exit.

Sounds like he knows what time it is which is why he won't agree to any sort of confirmation. It's unlikely he will let anyone else drive his car to prove it either. The best way not to eat crow is to just prevent anything that might reveal the truth.

Just keep leaving him in the dust at DE's, and then talk trash when it's over. That should be reward enough.

BTW, 996 TT's are underestimated, they are fast machines.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:26 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Tom, no need to feel sorry, that's my point exactly. His car should actually be faster than mine, no doubt. It all comes down to driver ability in this case.
By the way, your car is looking good as always, thanks for the offer. I fear that if I drove that thing I'd be tempted to strip mine and go all the way.

Z-man: we actually were doing a time-trial like event, two cars on track at the same time, no impedes possible.

BTW, you guys might like my response to his hint about adding more hp to his car:
Why don't you save the money and take a driving course instead?
Trust me, your problem is NOT the car.
My 90 year-old grandma could post a better time in your car.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:39 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

um, Why do you care about what this guy says and thinks?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:54 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I really don't. I just like to give him a hard time, cause he's such a trashtalker.
Something to do between events, I guess.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Z-man: we actually were doing a time-trial like event, two cars on track at the same time, no impedes possible.
I don't understand the problem. He lost. This battle is over. Driving 8/10ths is not an excuse for losing. He's just admitting that he's a pretender.

It sounds like you need more worthy competition. Why not run some NASA time trials against real competitors? Or better yet get your W2W license. Beating a guy like this isn't even worth the effort. Once you start running against real competitors you'll completely forget this guy.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:50 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tom, no need to feel sorry, that's my point exactly. His car should actually be faster than mine, no doubt. It all comes down to driver ability in this case.
You can easily remove the driver from the equation, but you cannot easily remove set-up. I race in class where all the cars are supposed to be the same minimum weight and the same power so driver is supposed to make all the difference. Well it does, but what alot of people forget is that you cannot neglect the set-up. Things like tire pressure, camber settings, spring rates and even what heat cycle the tires are on impact speed on track. 0.8 seconds can easily be changed just by getting the set-up wrong. I have experieced 0.5 second lap changes due only to a 5mm sway bar change. So I don't think you will ever determine the difference between the cars as the differences in set-up (hitting the mark or missing the mark) will be more noticeable than speed potential.

So yes his car should be faster, but there are many reasons why even in the hands a neutral driver may not be.

So I think it is pointless to continue to even worry about it.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

I think some of you guys are taking this a bit too seriously...
Old 03-31-2011, 12:52 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
The last two GTS2 national championships held at Mid Ohio, '07 & '08 were won by Porsche. I suspect that this year's winner will be as well.
Good luck with that.

GTS2 is a much different class than it was two years ago. The level of competition has grown immensely. I would say the Mid Atlantic GTS2 guys are very quick.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Zeriously, BTW you don't want to spend too much time around a guy that has a group sent excuse towel. People might blur the line between you and him. Kind of like the S****s.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:22 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I can't believe this thread was even posted.....

Scott
Old 03-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_M3
Good luck with that.

GTS2 is a much different class than it was two years ago. The level of competition has grown immensely. I would say the Mid Atlantic GTS2 guys are very quick.
That may be true. But last year in Great Lakes Region 13 out of 15 GTS2 races, including all of the Mid Ohio races were won by Porsche. None were won by BMW.

Quick Reply: Question for your consideration.