Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Licensing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011 | 05:51 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Default Newbie Licensing Questions

Yep, I've searched and read an overwhelming bit. I see racing in my future and wonder what those of you who have undertaken the path I am about to enter offer for advice.

Starting from brandy new scratch, as a green DE driver, what would be the common sense path towards the goal of obtaining a license - as long as abilities progress properly.

This is nothing more than fodder for thought at the moment, and I have no clue at the moment whether I will ultimately race my current car, or buy a dedicated track car - and settle into an as yet unknown class. Many here started with the same thoughts I'm sure and I seek your wisdom and lessons learned.
Old 03-27-2011 | 08:54 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Believe it or not, you could take the SCCA Competition License course NOW. There is no previous track experience required. That surprised the heck out of me, and made me more than a little nervous being on track with people who were that new to track stuff. That said, nobody got killt.

If you want a more rational, progressive approach, either stay with PCA or I recommend NASA's HPDE program. It's got 4 distinct stages and there is a constant emphasis on racing technique and rules. I went the NASA route but took SCCA school b/c my track car does not have a viable class with SCCA.

And an SCCA license will be given reciprocity at other clubs.
Old 03-27-2011 | 08:57 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Believe it or not, you could take the SCCA Competition License course NOW. There is no previous track experience required. That surprised the heck out of me, and made me more than a little nervous being on track with people who were that new to track stuff. That said, nobody got killt.

Interesting, but certainly not in line with my goals. Oddly, I'd like to learn to drive a car...
Old 03-28-2011 | 10:44 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by KaiB
Interesting, but certainly not in line with my goals. Oddly, I'd like to learn to drive a car...
Then NASA's my recommendation. It's a good progression with a constant emphasis on racing objectives. I did about 50 track days before going to SCCA Competition School and I'm glad I did. I don't think you need 50 days, but at least 15 to 25 seems right. The move to racing is not entirely about graduating your skills, because there are great drivers who do not race. It's more about the golfer who wants to leave the driving range and start playing golf.
Old 03-28-2011 | 11:43 AM
racing916
Racer

PCA requires 12 or more DE Days within a 2 year period. Plus the recommendation of your Chief Instructor or an equivalent to get into the rookie school. I would suggest doing many more than 12 days before you think about doing club racing. Go for a ride with a known good instructor in their run group. Ask yourself can I do what he/she can do in the car, and still be observant to the cars and things around me.
Old 03-28-2011 | 11:48 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

I'm just going through the process myself. Been attending DE's for the last 3 1/2 years (~35 days) this year I signed up with both PCA Club Racing and NASA Racing. I would be buy a built race car as soon as you think you want to start upgrading your street car. I spent a ton of money in my 911 before I got smart and just bought a 968 race car last year. Just didn't want to race the 911 as I've owned that sense 1988, and the 968 is so much easier to drive.
My NASA Competition School is in a few weeks.
Old 03-28-2011 | 12:01 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Thanks all - I'm all ears.

My current car is currently being heavily modified already (yep $$, but its a keeper and may ultimately never be raced) - but should make a great learning and fun semi-street platform. Regardless, I see that the proper path should take up to three years or so - does this sound about right?
Old 03-28-2011 | 12:42 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Maybe I heard it wrong but I was told by an official that PCA does not automatically recognize SCCA license for purposes of getting PCA Club Racing license.

Last edited by Nizer; 03-28-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2011 | 12:55 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

I think I had about 25 days of DE before I got my PCA racing license. I was not an instructor (still not). Probably 25-30 days is OK for most people. 12 seems pretty light unless you have experience with karts or bikes.

After all, racing is not rocket science. You do NOT need to be blazing fast to race (most people who race are not). What you DO NEED to be is comfortable being very close to other cars on the track... and driving off-line when needed (which is often). The rest will come later...

Fellow racers care much more that you are safe and smart; not fast.
Old 03-28-2011 | 01:58 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Everyone attending an SCCA school is not automatically licensed and you need 2 schools within a year before they consider licensing you. I have seen students in an SCCA school asked to leave even before the end of the course. These schools are very intensive courses with a ton of track time with very experienced instructors (not in-car). There is a set rule (which I do not know) concerning the number of hours on the track that an SCCA school must administer to be a valid school.

It's a great program and yes, some regions do a better job than others. Even if you do not want an SCCA license, as long as your car will pass SCCA tech for its class I would heartily suggest the experience. I have been told that the SCCA classing is not favorable to most Porsches. This would have no impact on taking a school. The school groups are usually open wheel, large bore, small bore, or just closed and open wheel.

Some people just have more talent than others so it is hard to say how much DE you 'need'. It really helps to learn to drive first. Also helps to learn a few tracks first so you are familiar with every inch of them and can pay more attention to the racing than the mechanics of driving. PCA DE has a lot of great instructors and you should meet and learn from as many as possible. Many PCA instructors race and a lot of them have years of experience and great perspective on what we are doing out there even if they do not race.

Have fun.

-- Mindy
Old 03-28-2011 | 03:22 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Nizer, I would appreciate a private email of the name of the "high placed PCA official" who gave you that information.

PCA CR recognizes SCCA licenses, although the applicant will have to provide race results for 6 completed races within the previous 24 months. The applicant who already has a competition license, whether it is from SCCA, POC, vintage, FIA, etc. would also have to attend the Orientation Meeting at their first race. Their orientation meeting is shorter than the rookie racer orientation meeting.

See Licensing Procedures in the PCA CR rules #3.
Old 03-28-2011 | 03:57 PM
Z-man
Race Director

KaiB - for now, I would focus on seat time -- be that DE, Autocross, and Karting, if there is a decent karting place in your area. Many people feel that Autocross is a waste of time, but it will help you develop car control skills.

The more track-oriented seat time you have before you race, the more comfortable you will be in w2w racing. In DE's, you can get the general line of the track down, and not have to worry about other cars.

Just remember -- if you have a lot of DE days under your belt and begin racing, there are no point-bys in racing!

-Z-man.

Disclaimer: I don't race W2W, I just do AX, DE, and instruct in both. I've got a little over 100 DE days under my belt, FWIW...
Old 03-28-2011 | 04:14 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steward B.
Nizer, I would appreciate a private email of the name of the "high placed PCA official" who gave you that information.

PCA CR recognizes SCCA licenses, although the applicant will have to provide race results for 6 completed races within the previous 24 months. The applicant who already has a competition license, whether it is from SCCA, POC, vintage, FIA, etc. would also have to attend the Orientation Meeting at their first race. Their orientation meeting is shorter than the rookie racer orientation meeting.

See Licensing Procedures in the PCA CR rules #3.
PM sent
Old 03-28-2011 | 04:17 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by mhm993
Everyone attending an SCCA school is not automatically licensed and you need 2 schools within a year before they consider licensing you. I have seen students in an SCCA school asked to leave even before the end of the course.
Correct. I just said he could take the course. You still need to pass! I did a "double school" so it was two schools over three days. We had at least two people who had no prior on-track experience, and as far as I know, one of them passed. We did have one person get the "OSB" notice (other sports beckon).

It was a gruelling 3 days, and that's with perfect weather. Tons and tons of track time, and virtually no downtime.
Old 03-28-2011 | 06:38 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Im a big believer in car control and comfort. forget about getting a license for a while. run DEs for awhile. i remember DEs beings some of the most exciting 'racing" anyway! get really comfortable, then, after a season or two of that, and you feel the need for the organized racing, get your licence with the club you are running with, PCA, NASA or SCCA and get on the treadmill. as to what class of car or if you should race by converting your own car?? thats a tough one. usuallly, better to find a beater and convert or buy a car that someone has prepared for you and has lost interest in.

Quick Reply: Newbie Licensing Questions