Sponsored by:

GoPro video cameras

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 03:20 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts
Default GoPro video cameras

Does anyone know the functional differences between the GoPro cameras for mostorsports vs. sports like skiing? The sports cameras are a smaller version of the motorsports units and more portable, But do they have all the functions of the motorsports units? Anyone try them?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:10 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're talking HD model they are the same cameras, just different cases and attaching acessories. I use the same camera in my race car and while snowboarding, either suction-cup attached to my board or with an adhesice mount on my helmet. In the race car I use the open case so you get better sound. While boarding I used the waterproof case - sound isn't very good.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:49 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you get the HD model and not the regular.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

All the cameras are the same HD to HD and SD to SD. They are different only in what attachments they have in their respective kits.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 AM
Djbrand1
Instructor

What about the Contour GPS? http://contour.com/camera/contour_gps . Anybody have experience with those? I'm not sure which to get? The Contour does GPS info tagging. It will show live tracking via Google Maps during playback, and also shows speed. Would that info be worth the extra 100 dollars or so? The GoPro is on sale right now for 225, the Contour is going for about 320 at some places.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:51 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Who has the GoPro HD on sale right now for $225?? We're giving up on our Aiptek POS because it only seems to work around half the time.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Who has the GoPro HD on sale right now for $225?? We're giving up on our Aiptek POS because it only seems to work around half the time.
Have you done all the "mods" to it, including the battery wedge? Seems like most people that have it shut down during taping (assuming it is powered full time, yet another mod) haven't addressed the battery disconnection issue and it will shut itself off.

Just a thought.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:55 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the 960/720 HD (meaning forget the 1080 HD) and buy one for $179.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Djbrand1
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Here's the link.

http://dealnews.com/Go-Pro-HERO-1080...ng/451731.html
Old 04-19-2011, 11:07 AM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Djbrand1
What about the Contour GPS? http://contour.com/camera/contour_gps . Anybody have experience with those? I'm not sure which to get? The Contour does GPS info tagging. It will show live tracking via Google Maps during playback, and also shows speed. Would that info be worth the extra 100 dollars or so? The GoPro is on sale right now for 225, the Contour is going for about 320 at some places.
I have a Contour have had no issues with it and find it very easy to operate. As for the GPS I'm not sure you'd need it. I don't think it logs at a high enough resolution to do anything substantial at the racetrack other than let you know you're there, so I wouldn't send the extra $ on the GPS model.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Djbrand1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2BWise
I have a Contour have had no issues with it and find it very easy to operate. As for the GPS I'm not sure you'd need it. I don't think it logs at a high enough resolution to do anything substantial at the racetrack other than let you know you're there, so I wouldn't send the extra $ on the GPS model.
I just ordered the GoPro. I thought the speed from the Contour GPS might be helpful, but since the GPS is built into it can be flaky if your using it in car mounted on a rollbar. Probably would work ok if mounted on the dash, but thats not the angle I want. Would like to see my steering inputs and where I'm looking in the video. Buddy already has a GoPro HD and the video looks really nice for a relatively cheap camera, but def. has it's drawbacks (no included viewfinder/LCD being the biggest). The Contour you can view the video on your iOS device or Android to help with aiming etc.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:37 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Have you done all the "mods" to it, including the battery wedge? Seems like most people that have it shut down during taping (assuming it is powered full time, yet another mod) haven't addressed the battery disconnection issue and it will shut itself off.

Just a thought.
Yes, we did the battery wedge trick, and it's in there really tight now. But now the Aiptek is just freezing up for no reason; it goes from Red (recording) to orange box (busy) for no reason and doesn't save the recording. And it just locks up on orange box, forcing me to pull the battery. It's been nothing but trouble so we gave up.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:31 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
All the cameras are the same HD to HD and SD to SD. They are different only in what attachments they have in their respective kits.
Joe,
what's this about an open case? Did mine come with one? I used my GoPro this weekend in the rain, and the sound is way low.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Joe,
what's this about an open case? Did mine come with one? I used my GoPro this weekend in the rain, and the sound is way low.
Yours is closed/waterproof the new ones had n open back case on certain setups. Not sure which did and how noise quality is on a car. All the new ones I see on cars are closed back.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:37 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Should I cut a hole in it? Where's the mike?

Quick Reply: GoPro video cameras