Sponsored by:

GoPro video cameras

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:14 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,197 Likes on 425 Posts

There is a different backing that snaps onto the case. Also note that you can get the "LCD backpack", basically a viewfinder. I've used a gopro for scuba and mtn biking...works great. Planning to use it in my racecar this year in the place of an Aiptek that I was using. Based on my experience mtn biking and scuba diving, I'm confident that the gopro can put up with vibration, etc from the car and I'll get consistent results. I had my Aiptek stop recording from time to time.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:19 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was initially told to only use rechargable AAA's to get around the vibration issues. I've always done that and not had a problem, so you might consider that as well. Don't know why that is, though.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Should I cut a hole in it? Where's the mike?
I honestly can't give you an educated answer. The microphone is internal IIRC. My gut tells me that the sound wouldn't get a lot better. The newer models I think have a better mic setup too.

I no longer deal with GoPro directly so much of my info is hearsay and watching what others do. Once they started selling them to big box stores and discounters who sell them for 10 bucks over cost I couldn't justify keeping them around.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:53 AM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a GoPro Motorsports HD cam. It came with 2 back doors for the case, one with large holes in it. I'd say drilling holes would accomplish the same result.

Does anyone know of an easy way to hook up the GoPro to the car's power? I'm aware of their "backpack" additional battery, but I'm looking for a hardwired setup, and cheap. I'm sure it can be done with radio shack type parts, like I've read about people doing to Aipteks.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:44 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

......cost of new GoPro HD motorsport kit?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 924 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Just bought one for $240 at overstock.com
Old 05-15-2011, 03:01 AM
dp35
Pro

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I paid $224 from buydig.com (no sales tax & free shipping).

Originally Posted by dp35
Does anyone know of an easy way to hook up the GoPro to the car's power? I'm aware of their "backpack" additional battery, but I'm looking for a hardwired setup, and cheap. I'm sure it can be done with radio shack type parts, like I've read about people doing to Aipteks.
If anyone's interested, I found a good answer to this question at the local electronics store. I found a cig lighter cell phone charger with the same mini B USB plug for $4.99. I believe this is the same plug used for Blackberry phones, and the old school Motorola Razr. Since my race car doesn't have a cig lighter, I'm going to modify & hard wire it.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

I NEVER could get my gopro to work in my race car. It would work fine in any other situation but as soon as I put it in my race car it would shut down. I would get a nice video of my view of the paddock then as soon as I started moving it would shut down every time.
Only thing we could think of was either vibration or RF interference.

I gave up on it for a Smarty cam setup. Much happier minus a few $$$
Old 05-15-2011, 09:48 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used mine inside the car and outside, and it's pretty reliable, more so than the tape camcorder I used to run. I was told that you must always use rechargeable batteries, that regular ones just shut down with vibration, so I've always done that. As stated previously though, the sound is very muted inside that plastic casing.

for example: (camera inside cockpit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd8Xc8Tljkc
Old 05-15-2011, 02:14 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 92 Posts

Sometimes I see data or a dashboard overlay in peoples video. I hear there is a way to do this easier with a "ContourHD with gps" that synchs the data to the video. Is there a ghetto way to do that with the GoPros?
Old 05-15-2011, 11:59 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my GoproHD setup in my vintage 911 race car. It works great. I have the fully enclosed rear cover which hampers the sound a bit. I plan on drilling a hole over the mic area on the camera to let some more beautiful flat 6 noise in.
Be easy on my driving. I had not been at Laguna in over 10 years, plus it's my only my second race in my car since a ton of suspension /tire/sway bar changes. I still managed a 1:44 with my 2.5L which I'm very happy with.

http://www.vimeo.com/23208851

Last edited by Plavan; 05-16-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:19 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasser
I NEVER could get my gopro to work in my race car. It would work fine in any other situation but as soon as I put it in my race car it would shut down. I would get a nice video of my view of the paddock then as soon as I started moving it would shut down every time.
$$$
Hard to figure this, unless you just had a defective unit. Mine is used both inside and outside my racecar, as a helmet cam and stuck directly on my snowboard and on my son's dirtbike, with never any issues cutting out.

Yes there's lots of small 12V to USB power converters out there that you can hard wire in to power the GoPro.

Cheers
Randy
Old 05-16-2011, 10:52 AM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasser

I gave up on it for a Smarty cam setup. Much happier minus a few $$$
+1 - my GoPro HD Hero almost always shuts itself down in the race car. Perfectly fine in my street/DE car, though. I'm guessing the added g-forces and vibration in the race car causes the camera to shut down.

I went with Smartycam, too, and have been very pleased.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:09 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Love the go-pro for the car. mic & sound on video is not extremely sophistocated, but for size and versitility of the thing and ability to mount it anywhere & take it in the water are pretty great.

http://vimeo.com/22936417

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laopU1gSiko - mounted underneath the car & on the front tow hook...
Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I have the camera and motorsports kit I'll sell if anyone is interested. I could also include the 8 GB card I have for it. I also bought the roll bar mount. I used it once to try it out, otherwise it is brand new. With the card adn mount, I probably have $300.00 in it but I'll deal.

Quick Reply: GoPro video cameras