Sponsored by:

iPad and Traqmate

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Damn, missed this thread entirely. Great idea!
Then go to https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=23673
Old 04-26-2011, 07:45 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 84 Posts

I think the best way to implement Data Aq sharing on Rennlist (which would be awesome) would be to create a new sub-forum under "Perf & Comp" called "Data Aquisition Sharing" -- then have a Mod create one thread for each major track and then lock out new threads. That way each track can have one (and only one) thread where people can share/discuss data files. New threads for new tracks could be added by request to the Mod only.

And in addition to posting up pictures of your "squiggly lines", people should upload their actual raw session files too.

I would be willing to help contribute to this effort if everyone thinks its a good idea.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica
I think the best way to implement Data Aq sharing on Rennlist (which would be awesome) would be to create a new sub-forum under "Perf & Comp" called "Data Aquisition Sharing" -- then have a Mod create one thread for each major track and then lock out new threads. That way each track can have one (and only one) thread where people can share/discuss data files. New threads for new tracks could be added by request to the Mod only.

And in addition to posting up pictures of your "squiggly lines", people should upload their actual raw session files too.

I would be willing to help contribute to this effort if everyone thinks its a good idea.
I like the idea of a subforum, just not sure that we have enough interest.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
The G loading trace when you are cornering shows a maximum in the beginning of the turn, with a stepped fall off as you continue through the corner. It is most evident in the 4 corners that I have circled. This is indicative of a car that is understeering. Where the car is neutral, the max G line stays pretty constant until you get to trackout.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.
If you are correct in a car that is understeering then it is driver induced in each of the turns you listed. A general statement from the Traqmate data about the handling of a car needs this information before the person on the internet reads it and starts making changes to his/her car for an input they induced in the car. A suspension change or upgrade will not remedy this situation.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,046 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
If you are correct in a car that is understeering then it is driver induced in each of the turns you listed.
+1 Agreed. Overpowering the tires.

This is where video can eliminate a lot of guesswork and why every seriously meaningful remote interpretation has to include scrutiny from several different collection media, as well as several different logging criteria.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
+1 Agreed. Overpowering the tires.

This is where video can eliminate a lot of guesswork and why every seriously meaningful remote interpretation has to include scrutiny from several different collection media, as well as several different logging criteria.
+1 to all the above
Old 04-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

That data was from a few years ago... Here's a screen shot from last fall.

Similar traces on the toe and heel of the boot. I haven't thought that the car understeered - so I'm going to attribute it to driver line/technique (or lack of technique)!

I'm all for sharing data - especially if it can help improve my driving!
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2011, 02:12 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 84 Posts

Re: the signs of understeer in the Lat G's trace. I'm confused. I would have expected the Lat G's to fall off over the course of a turn whenever you are taking a slow-in-fast out line, because as you unwind the wheel and add throttle you are repurposing tire grip away from turning and using it for acceleration instead. This would show as a declining Lat G' trace coincident with an increase in Long G's. If what you say is right, how would you distinguish this from understeer? Just by checking video?

Please educate me because I am pretty new to this stuff (and I haven't gotten to the Lat G chapter of Chris Brown's book yet).
Old 04-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Note in sector 7, the lateral G's fall off significantly while the longitudinal G's (acceleration) stay constant. This is the toe, and a big understeering turn for a lot of cars. "Trading lateral G's for accelerative G's" is occuring with the front tires, causing a reduction in lateral G forces, indicating understeer.

If the car was drifting (read oversteering) then the rear tires would be at the limit of grip all the way through the turn, and the G loading would not drop off until right at trackout.

Note how Van maintains G loading all the way through turn 5 (with a slight hiccup). I'll bet that his car feels pretty neutral in this corner.

Seth, you could very well be correct, and maybe it would have been more accurate to say that I saw an understeering condition in many of the corners.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 906 Likes on 553 Posts

Does anyone have data from the toe that shoes something different in regards to under/oversteer?
Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Very insightful, Larry!
Old 04-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Very insightful, Larry!
Thanks, I try.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:35 PM
dmwhite
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Out of curiosity, I looked at the WGI data from last year in our ST cars and found the same "trailing off" in the lat g's in those same corners. It directly corresponds to the steering angle going back to zero (opening the wheel) and throttle position increasing past apex. We definitely don't set the cars up to push.

I would think the nature of T5 compared to the turns in the boot would lead to less "trail off" in the lat g trace since you maintain your steering (and throttle) input for so much longer in T5.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dmwhite
I would think the nature of T5 compared to the turns in the boot would lead to less "trail off" in the lat g trace since you maintain your steering (and throttle) input for so much longer in T5.
Yep, and the key factors in calculating lateral g's are Radius (steering angle) and Velocity (speed).

The Boot is not an area where people gain a lot of speed through the corner even as the radius opens at the end. Especially as the hill gets steeper closing in on the apex. Naturally, the lat g trace would fall off even in a proper handling car.

Turn 5, OTOH, is able to generate a steadier lat g trace due to increasing speed ALONG with increased radius, even though the steering angle isn't relaxed.

Increased compression and the multiplying effect of the banking as you accelerate through Turn 5 (leveling only as you cross at the end to the track out curb) serve to accentuate that sustained lat g trace.

Also, the climbing compression in the Toe causes a spike in lat g's as the car compresses, then the bumps and the hill sap that loading. It's possible the lat g could be better maintained if the hill didn't slow the car's acceleration so much.

Stuff is never as simple as it seems...
Old 04-27-2011, 07:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Does anyone have data from the toe that shoes something different in regards to under/oversteer?
The coolest and best coordination of lat g's (and steering input) that indicate and illustrate handling balance (under/oversteer) is Bob Knox's scatter plot shown in his new book.

Capable only of being illustrated by interpretation software that allows math channel construction, this plot can show and identify prevailing chassis balance balance very nicely. Jorge Segers also has a nice worksheet in MoTeC for that.

The way to do it in TM is simple. Use video or install a logged TM channel to observe the steering input angle, turn down the "Filter" and then zoom in to look at lat g's.

I have seen corrections in Race-Keeper's software that made me go back and look at the video to confirm. Yes, you can see it in the lat g trace.

Quick Reply: iPad and Traqmate