Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So let's say you've mounted your rear wing. What angle do you set it to?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:55 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

With a 911 there's plenty of oil back there anyway...

Less splitter, more cowbell!...
Old 03-25-2011, 11:23 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
With a 911 there's plenty of oil back there anyway...

Less splitter, more cowbell!...
I had been running in the 13* range took it down to 10 during my last event. Car was down 7-8 mph from stock wing straight speeds.

Just took it down to 5* and added a 10 mm gurney strip. Testing next month.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Gurney flap?!...no comment...

There's a neat trick with "juans aero oil" a little jar of tempra paint mixed with oil and dotted on areas you want to study...great telltales that you can measure which gives you direction and relative surface speeds...

Gotta have more cowbell!...
Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Im curious, I wonder if there is any chance that other factors brought you down by 8mph on your last run. 13degrees down to 10? any idea of the downforce at the top speeds that you were noting from?

Im interested because all the calculations point to about 10:1 L/D ratios. even at 400lbs of downforce, that would be 40lbs of drag and at 100mph , that would be near 8ft-lbs of torque at the engine. (thats the total drag due to downforce, not the change) So, if you chaged the wing angle and lost 100lbs of downforce, that would be 10lbs of drag, and 2ft-lbs of torque at the engine. I dont know if that could be responsible for 8mph slower straightline speed. If it is, I would be interested to see why.

I know there was a lot of mixed messages on the Gurney flap study, but after reading all of them in detail, it seems the net net will be if you put on the GF, now that you turned down your wing, it will be like you turned it back up to the higher AOA again, but at a cost of more drag. Looked like generally, the GF puts back in about 7 degrees more effective AOA, without the AOA. The "no discernable " increase in drag is for the less that 2% GFs. at 5%, which is very common (about .5") the drag is certainly higher for the same downforce setting. (40% higher for the same wing setting that would provide the same downforce)

Anyway, by the charts and experiments of the 3 really good articles posted on GF's. you now going to 5 degrees (8 degrees down from original settings) if you put a 10mm GF on , the wing should make the same Downforce as originally set at 13 degrees, BUT make 40% more drag. It will be interesting how the car reacts to this and if you can notice any difference. Let us know!

Mark

Originally Posted by wanna911
I had been running in the 13* range took it down to 10 during my last event. Car was down 7-8 mph from stock wing straight speeds.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:27 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 760 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911

Were these straight speeds measured on the race track or on a straight where top speed is drag limited? I ask because if this was done on the race track, it's quite possible your were slower in the corner(s) leading on to the straight due to less downforce so you carried less speed on to the straight.

Scott
Old 03-25-2011, 02:30 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Oil and/or tufts are useful. But keep in mind that you do not want adhesion over the entire underside of the wing. At least, that's not where you'll be generating maximum lift with the wing. Simon McBeath's book has some good illustrations on this.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:44 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Once you have your starting point, put drops of motor oil on the leading edge of the wing and over and under. Go out for a season and come back and study the smears.
Alternatively, you could just drive behind a 951.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,413 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe

BWHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!
Old 03-25-2011, 03:39 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Lol, pot-kettle-black syndrome....
Old 03-25-2011, 03:41 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I just asked this on another thread but I'll drop it in here as well...

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-uprights.html

Just to add another topic in context. When playing with wing positions / sizes , how do you 'tune' the front end of the car for the balance? How much difference does extending the splitter forwards make when putting the rear wing higher or further back? As you can see in some of the pics in the 'wing upright' thread, there are examples of some wings leaning way back into clean air. It just 'feels' like there is going to be so much leverage applied that something would have to be adjusted to the front to compensate. Well of course this is the case, but do you tune them, together or in isolation?

How important are Canards and how much bearing do they have in all this?
Old 03-25-2011, 04:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Havng gone through this exercise myself, it seems the entire idea of tuning is really left for the rear wing, with a few things you can do up front, if you have an adjustable front splitter that comes forward. (Ive seen one on a BMW racer)
Mostly, you put as much downforce as you need up front and then match the wing in the rear, FOR the track. As Scott says, many have thought about increased drag, so they take out wing, only to lose entrance, corner,and exit speeds down the follwing straight. as long as you know what your drag and downforce numbers are, you can approximate the drag down a main straight. it might be worth it to keep the drag, if you have the power to overcome it.
(think of the drag on the wing as 10% of its downforce, generally, and then 25% of that would be the effect at the wheels in Ft-lbs at near 100mph)

dive planes are great for adding additional downforce, but not as efficiently as a wing or canard (small forward mounted wings) on a F1 car would be.

You are right, as you see the wings moving rearward, it increases the leverage proportioally. raising it might not do much, as it depends on the roof line flow.

So, as I said on other posts, i added a pretty standard cup wing. then spent the next few race weekends adding on larger and larger splitters, hood vents and taking wing angle out to find balance. in the end, the car was much better.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I just asked this on another thread but I'll drop it in here as well...

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-uprights.html

Just to add another topic in context. When playing with wing positions / sizes , how do you 'tune' the front end of the car for the balance? How much difference does extending the splitter forwards make when putting the rear wing higher or further back? As you can see in some of the pics in the 'wing upright' thread, there are examples of some wings leaning way back into clean air. It just 'feels' like there is going to be so much leverage applied that something would have to be adjusted to the front to compensate. Well of course this is the case, but do you tune them, together or in isolation?

How important are Canards and how much bearing do they have in all this?

Last edited by mark kibort; 03-25-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:28 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
The airflow at the roofline is about the same as it is two inches above the deck. It's not parallel to the ground. It's much closer to parallel with the back of the car.

I tested with tufts.
Thanks, yeah i guess I was wrong about that. My racecar is actually a BWM e36, so after some googling I'll probably base my starting point on the pic below (not e36 but probably not far off). Still seems to be a severe wind angle at a height near the roofline. HOWEVER, I'm running a super-long wing so much of the wing won't see that much angle, since air out near the edges will be more parallel to ground.

Originally Posted by J richard
There's a neat trick with "juans aero oil" a little jar of tempra paint mixed with oil and dotted on areas you want to study...
Thanks - I was considering this too, but didn't know where to get coloring until now! Any idea what weight oil to use?
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2011, 04:35 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah, and the BMW actually has some pretty sophisticated aero.

You can see that even if you put the wing five feet above the roof, you still wouldn't have horizontal-to-ground airflow.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Some of your replies are hilarious! Drive behind a 951...

It works like a charm and it is used on the pro circuits more than they'll accept.

As to weight, we use what we run (Valv racing 20/50).
Old 03-27-2011, 11:19 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Some of your replies are hilarious! Drive behind a 951...
That's because most of you guys driving those rear engined egg beaters have no choice but to be behind the 951s!

Quick Reply: So let's say you've mounted your rear wing. What angle do you set it to?