Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's official. I'm a racer. (SCCA Novice).

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
Congrats on your racing license. The SRF must be a fun car. I have only tried it in iRacing, but computer racing is just not the same thing. I keep joking with people, if you want to make computer racing more realistic, we only need to have someone standing next to you as you drive on the computer and then have them hit your every time you have an incident (or an off) and then have them deduct money from your bank account.

Good luck with your racing and if possible post video.
The SRF is a big go-kart and as long as you are comfortable with a rear-engined dynamic, it is really easy to drive. You just need to get used to getting pelted in the head with road debris!

PS: I'm told that the SRF in iRacing is modeled wrong -- it's nowhere near as tail happy as the game makes it seem.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:00 PM
CXC Simulations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by My993C2
I keep joking with people, if you want to make computer racing more realistic, we only need to have someone standing next to you as you drive on the computer and then have them hit your every time you have an incident (or an off) and then have them deduct money from your bank account.
Haha! The violent part I can replicate in our simulators, but the bank account thing is different..... Maybe some sort of connection to you PayPal account?

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
PS: I'm told that the SRF in iRacing is modeled wrong -- it's nowhere near as tail happy as the game makes it seem.
God, I hope so. It has terrible entry-oversteer in iRacing. I've never driven one in real life, but I can't imagine them to be that bad. The good news is, Dave K from iRacing is revamping the tire model for all the cars soon which should cure most of the problems.

I have to say though, driving these cars in a tactile feedback simulator makes everything seem much easier to drive. It's just more intuitive. I frequently drive other, static simulator setups and I'm all over the place trying to figure out what the car is doing. With these complex physics models and laser scanned tracks, it really help to be able to feel all tiny sensations of the chassis and tire patch.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get the SRF to run pretty close but you have to do some pretty wonky stuff to the setup that you'd never do in real life. It's not as fast but it's much more realistic.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:54 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

I'm told that the SRF in iRacing is modeled wrong -- it's nowhere near as tail happy as the game makes it seem.
I think iRacing takes some of their modeling a bit over the top. It's as if you are driving 100% of the time on ice in iRacing. I have driven a real world Formula Renault car on more than one occasion (not in races, just DE track day stuff) and the real world Formula Renault car was a heck of a lot easier to drive than a comparable car in iRacing.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck with the new car Greg.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Update:

Had my first "real" racing this weekend. It was HUMBLING. As a long-time HPDE guy, on my "home" track, I was capable of good, solo lap times. But racing is an entirely different animal. Sensory overload is an huge understatement. I got abused on the starts (losing two spots on each day), and passing was much more difficult than I thought it would be. Most passes are in braking zones (they either end there, or take place there) and require precision and trust (and I started the weekend with a shortage of both). In a 20 lap race, I spent about 18 laps trying to figure out how to get around two guys ahead of me, even though I had a clear advantage on several parts of the track. In two races I ended up 8 of 12 and then 10 of 12. I think running in a single class session with spec cars, the ability to capitalize on the mistakes of others is even less likely.

By the end of the second race, I felt 10X more comfortable in traffic and I am looking forward to making moves in my next event. Most importantly, I started, finished and got my ticket punched. One more and I have my regional license.

So, for HPDE guys looking to go racing, I say DO IT but do not expect HPDE proficiency to translate into racing proficiency, unless you can qualify P1 and run laps on an empty track!
Old 06-13-2011, 02:54 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Very cool, nice job - you survived!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice!
I bet you'll be faster at your home track after a few races there too.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Congrats!

What is a "Super User"
Old 06-13-2011, 03:23 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,852 Posts

By the end of the second race, I felt 10X more comfortable in traffic and I am looking forward to making moves in my next event. Most importantly, I started, finished and got my ticket punched. One more and I have my regional license.

So, for HPDE guys looking to go racing, I say DO IT but do not expect HPDE proficiency to translate into racing proficiency, unless you can qualify P1 and run laps on an empty track!
Sounds like a good weekend and very good advice!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Sounds like a good weekend and very good advice!
It ended up being a good weekend. Honestly, by Saturday night I was wondering if I should go back to playing golf! Sunday was redeeming.

It's frustrating to feel incompetent, but exciting when you see the areas that need improving. Besides, I've done golf for decades and I'm still incompetent.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update:

Had my first "real" racing this weekend. It was HUMBLING. As a long-time HPDE guy, on my "home" track, I was capable of good, solo lap times. But racing is an entirely different animal. Sensory overload is an huge understatement. I got abused on the starts (losing two spots on each day), and passing was much more difficult than I thought it would be. Most passes are in braking zones (they either end there, or take place there) and require precision and trust (and I started the weekend with a shortage of both). In a 20 lap race, I spent about 18 laps trying to figure out how to get around two guys ahead of me, even though I had a clear advantage on several parts of the track. In two races I ended up 8 of 12 and then 10 of 12. I think running in a single class session with spec cars, the ability to capitalize on the mistakes of others is even less likely.

Hey, any first race weekend where you don't have to drag your car onto the trailer with a winch is a good first outing! Congratulations
Old 06-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Update:

The Good News:
Great insights and great lessons learned in your first outing.

The really Bad News:
There is absolutely no going back now

Old 06-13-2011, 11:44 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robert Henriksen
Hey, any first race weekend where you don't have to drag your car onto the trailer with a winch is a good first outing! Congratulations
+1

The racing will come. The more you are out there the more comfortable you will be.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:21 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
The Good News:
Great insights and great lessons learned in your first outing.

The really Bad News:
There is absolutely no going back now

So true, so true...

You may want to, if you haven't already, stop by and check out the content on RacerUniversity.com - it should help you bridge that gap of knowledge from turning laps to getting into the fight...

Quick Reply: It's official. I'm a racer. (SCCA Novice).