A visit today to the F1 Austin site

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 06:50 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
BOOYAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Booyah. A soup/stew style dish from Green Bay, WI. That's not Texan!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:02 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why all of the comparisons to other international venues? It must be that there is simply no point in comparing Austin to the prior USGP host city of Indianapolis... that would require way too much intellectual honesty in judging just how modern, metropolitan and multi-cultural the whole eastern third of Texas actually is. The combined Metropolitan Statistical Areas of Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin have a population of over 15 million people; more wing tips than boots; and way more restaurants serving filet mignon than coyote tails. And the hot women who show up at events down here live down here. Yall stay home... we've got it covered.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Why all of the comparisons to other international venues? It must be that there is simply no point in comparing Austin to the prior USGP host city of Indianapolis... that would require way too much intellectual honesty in judging just how modern, metropolitan and multi-cultural the whole eastern third of Texas actually is. The combined Metropolitan Statistical Areas of Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin have a population of over 15 million people; more wing tips than boots; and way more restaurants serving filet mignon than coyote tails. And the hot women who show up at events down here live down here. Yall stay home... we've got it covered.
Well said - they'll die from the heat anyway.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Your "fun" won't be starting until at least 2013 young Fuzzlette!

Originally Posted by SeanR
This is going to be so much fun.
It is Texas after all amigo.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Austin is STILL a provencial sometimes backwards Teaxs town hombre!

Originally Posted by DWF
This commentary reflects nothing but ignorance of the area. Austin, thirty minutes north of the track site is one of the most urbane medium size cities (1 million plus in the metro area) in the nation. The city has world class restaurants with nationally recognized chefs, arts, music, etc. In fact in full swing now is an annual international music and film festival that attracts thousands of musicians, film stars and related industry from around the globe. The live reports yesterday from the national news media referred to Austin as the L.A. of the South (I guess that's a compliment).

Believe me, thousands of people are not moving to the area every year because of the "fried coyote tails". I can assure you race fans will love the venue, have a great time and look forward to returning.
I should know as it's my hometown.

The thousands of Transplantos to the area have done nothing more than tool up the entire county... and not for the better. I'm all for the F1 track but it will be delayed and it's future will make many rather nervous.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Frank Bullitt
Banned

Default Bringing up The Heat is important amigo

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
Well said - they'll die from the heat anyway.
Was at the 1984 Dallas Grand Prix that fine July so long ago. Dry ice crammed in the car's cockpits and Nigel Mansell passing out attempting to push his Lotus across the finish line. THAT was something to witness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYyq4lTvJNE

Add to this all the fan cars that went up in smoke during the race as their catalytic converters ignited the "grass parking lots" constructed for this event. It was simply amazing.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:24 AM
dinanm3atl
4th Gear

Really hoping this goes down so I can take pictures

Quick Reply: A visit today to the F1 Austin site