Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier A6s

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, you mention running the A6's at lower cold temps than the Toyos or the R6's.
How many pounds lower?
What pressures are you starting out at with a cold Toyo?
Cold R6?

Fred, with your driving style I'm sure you will tear through any Hoosier. Heck, any R compound tire. I'd advise switching to Michelin light truck tires........and, by the way, pick up your trash in the grid.....
Old 03-12-2011, 04:13 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet. Another set of $2500 wheels and $1100 tires that only last a few heat cycles to be competitive in qualifying. Great rule change, PCA!!
Old 03-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Ah, Astroman, allowing Hoosier A6's was not a rule change.

There was a rules proposal made last year to ban them but the rules committee did not want to get into the issue of deciding what "DOT" tires were or were not legal for club racing as frankly, there are other DOT tire out there that may have even lower wear ratings.

Where would you draw the line on wear ratings? Wear ratings aren't necessarily the same from one manufacturer to another.

Frankly, I've seen some very quick times turned by drivers on Toyo RA1's, in a well set up car maximizing the performance characteristics of those tires which wear like iron.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:36 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
I'd advise switching to Michelin light truck tires........and, by the way, pick up your trash in the grid.....

Truck tires don't suit the extra low right height of the car these days. Ever since your scolding for throwing out water bottles on the grid, I have installed a proper drinking system in the car - made sense. See u in Atlanta.

Last edited by FredC; 03-12-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:48 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Sweet. Another set of $2500 wheels and $1100 tires that only last a few heat cycles to be competitive in qualifying. Great rule change, PCA!!
Some of the most impressive E-class track records were set on A6s in the last couple of years.

Jack, what if the A6s do last longer than we all think they do while still providing that non-negligible performance advantage? Not sure about 15 hard driven HCs, but what about 6 or 8? Yes you end up changing tires more often, but not that more often. Very few people run A6s in PCA CR it seems, but many of them do in SCCA and NASA. It's worthwhile to experiment and document the difference in performance and wear no? I may give it a shot - not sure.

Last edited by FredC; 03-12-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:16 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Yeah, i was a little uneasy about running them so low in pressure. keep in mind, this was a team that was running 5 seconds a lap faster, and with 200 more hp, so after measuring their tire temps in the pits after a session, vs mine, i figured i would raise the starting pressures by about 2-3 lbs vs their set up. it seemd to work. they wanted to seem me at 30psi hot, so that is what I eneded up with . the wear patterns and handling sure felt like they were doing their job. so, to contrast. RA1s i start at 28 lbs/30lbs rear to front, and with the hoosier A6s, 24 /26psi starting cold.

Originally Posted by Steward B.
Mark, you mention running the A6's at lower cold temps than the Toyos or the R6's.
How many pounds lower?
What pressures are you starting out at with a cold Toyo?
Cold R6?

Fred, with your driving style I'm sure you will tear through any Hoosier. Heck, any R compound tire. I'd advise switching to Michelin light truck tires........and, by the way, pick up your trash in the grid.....
Old 03-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
Some of the most impressive E-class track records were set on A6s in the last couple of years.
In qualifying, no? Out lap, flying lap, done. I can't imagine they would last a sprint race unless it was really cold outside.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chris M.
In qualifying, no? Out lap, flying lap, done. I can't imagine they would last a sprint race unless it was really cold outside.
They last full races on heavy Showroom Stock Caddy's in SCCA and really powerful Vettes I've seen in NASA.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:30 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
They last full races on heavy Showroom Stock Caddy's in SCCA and really powerful Vettes I've seen in NASA.
How many races?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

all out weekends, 30min races with no issues on really hot (fast) cars.
mine didnt even break a sweat, but Im 5-7 seconds slower than the ultra fast guys runing 1:29s at laguna . these are 100 degree days too at thunderhill.
The A series work, i was amazed. Like I said, when I first saw these guys running these tires, i was laughing with everyone else in the pits as we all expected these guys to have their tires explode! They laughed all the way to the podium with new records and race wins. I laughed too, when I started grabbing up their scrubs and racing on them with my fairly powerful, heavy racer.
I used them for an hour race with no issues too.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

How many races?
I don't know...was only disputing your post that they are only good for 3 laps of qualifying. I doubt they are much different than any other fast R-comp or slick. The guys who want to be fast will switch them out every weekend, day, or even race, and the guys who don't will run them until they cord.

For reference, I have run A6's, along with R6's, and R100/80's on the same, fairly warm, weekend at VIR, so I have some experience with how they last/wear.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:17 AM
va122
Drifting

What were your times like with the different compounds? A vs R vs slick.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:53 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by va122
What were your times like with the different compounds? A vs R vs slick.
I've posted it here before...don't remember right now and I don't have the data in front of me. Probably not too hard to find with a search.

Edit: found it https://rennlist.com/forums/7495042-post11.html
Old 03-13-2011, 01:49 AM
va122
Drifting

thanks dude
Old 03-13-2011, 03:40 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
I've posted it here before...don't remember right now and I don't have the data in front of me. Probably not too hard to find with a search.

Edit: found it https://rennlist.com/forums/7495042-post11.html
Hmm, that's interesting to see how close all those times are. When you say the car was setup to run on slicks I assume you mean proper slicks and not the A/R6s? Therefore are you suggesting that in fact had it been setup to run on them instead they could have been faster than the R100s? I've run on R80s before and they were quite a few seconds faster than some Nittos but this was on a poorly setup car that day so not conclusive data at all. I was going to run on R100s this season but maybe the As might be as good an option?

Quick Reply: Hoosier A6s