Sponsored by:

Some MSR-C fun

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:25 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Jay turned a 1:19.3 there last year, in GTS-3 trim. There is no doubt he will set the GTS-4 record this year with something in the 17s or better.

I've got to be a realist, the rest of us in 4 are racing for second place. I'd feel bad but for the past two seasons he has gapped everyone in the nation by the same amount. My compliments and admiration to both of you.
I agree, a good GTS4 time this year should be a 17 something. After driving the GTS4 E46 M3, I think its very doable.

As to your 2nd comment, I cannot agree. I will say, Jay has done well. But with nationals being at Miller, the competition was severely lacking. If he wins by such a large margin this year at Mid-O, that will be impressive. Not taking anything away from the driver or builder, I think they would agree with this comment.

I could never show up the race track thinking I've already lost. They are a car/driver combo just like anyone else. If I was building a GTS car, I'd build to whatever class Matus was running.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:35 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Jay turned a 1:19.3 there last year, in GTS-3 trim. There is no doubt he will set the GTS-4 record this year with something in the 17s or better.

I've got to be a realist, the rest of us in 4 are racing for second place. I'd feel bad but for the past two seasons he has gapped everyone in the nation by the same amount. My compliments and admiration to both of you.

I had thought he was just in the 20's last year although I am getting old and my memory could be going. I'm not sure about him gapping you guys as much as you think this year. His car is up a little on hp, although not optimized, nor up as much as it can be and will be very soon. It is a little lighter than last year although still not as light as it needs to be for max in GTS4. I do promise it will be faster at TWS as by then it will have the hp and be even a little lighter.
The Boxster took quite a bit of time to get where it is and honestly I haven't been working on the 996 as much as I should have because of it.

Thank you for the compliments,
Viking
Old 03-09-2011, 04:38 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_M3
I agree, a good GTS4 time this year should be a 17 something. After driving the GTS4 E46 M3, I think its very doable.

As to your 2nd comment, I cannot agree. I will say, Jay has done well. But with nationals being at Miller, the competition was severely lacking. If he wins by such a large margin this year at Mid-O, that will be impressive. Not taking anything away from the driver or builder, I think they would agree with this comment.

I could never show up the race track thinking I've already lost. They are a car/driver combo just like anyone else. If I was building a GTS car, I'd build to whatever class Matus was running.
He did the same thing at Mid-Ohio 2 years ago before he had a mechanical failure in the final. Look it up.

I am not a professional race car driver, I do this for fun. I'm probably at about the 75th percentile of all club racers, good enough to compete but not good enough to fool myself into thinking I am the next Pat Long. My real skills are in other areas, which fortunately allow me to fund my hobby. It's a trade-off I'd make any day of the week as I'd rather be a little off pace but on the track as opposed to shouting from the sideline.

There is no shame in recognizing someone else's greater talent and appreciating their success.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:57 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SG_M3

I can see a 17 in GTS4,maybe even faster,although I am not sure if it will be this weekend.

Jay has done well in the 996, although you are correct that the field was limited at Miller, you still must admit that the lead he had and maintained is pretty substantial at a National race. Backing that up is the year before with similiar results until a mechanical took us out of the final race, and the year before that at Nationals at Mid Ohio which was only the second time out on track in a newly built car those results and times. I think it is the combination of all those events that makes one wonder if Jay is just that great of a driver, or if the car is built that well, or if it's a combination of both maybe.

This year should be an interesting year with a 2 car team and 2 drivers.

Oh, and I highly encourage the competition in the class whether it be GTS4 or GTS3 now. I have tried and continue to get you and all the other BMW weenies (opps, can I say that, oh sure it is a Porsche Forum afterall ) to come out and race on track with us. Please don't just brag about what you can do in a DE or testing, come on out and show us results racing with us.

In case you didn't know, I love the competition to the point of helping other racers in our own class fix their cars so we can race. I rescued Bill Woods with a dead car on grid last year at Hallett, and have offered help, parts, etc countless times to many racers in need over the years.

Me personally ? I would rather come in second place to you on the track than to have you break and be in the pits broken and us being first place.

Please bring it on, build a car, use your car, borrow a car, but please come on out and join in the fun.

Have a great day !
Viking

ps: I was just kidding about the"BMW weenies" thing, the BMW M3 is a wonderful platform/car/engine as has been documented by it's many wins over the years.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:46 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Jay has done well in the 996, although you are correct that the field was limited at Miller, you still must admit that the lead he had and maintained is pretty substantial at a National race. Backing that up is the year before with similiar results until a mechanical took us out of the final race, and the year before that at Nationals at Mid Ohio which was only the second time out on track in a newly built car those results and times. I think it is the combination of all those events that makes one wonder if Jay is just that great of a driver, or if the car is built that well, or if it's a combination of both maybe.
I did not mean to diminish what you two have accomplished, you have the wins to back it up.

Oh, and I highly encourage the competition in the class whether it be GTS4 or GTS3 now. I have tried and continue to get you and all the other BMW weenies (opps, can I say that, oh sure it is a Porsche Forum afterall ) to come out and race on track with us. Please don't just brag about what you can do in a DE or testing, come on out and show us results racing with us.

In case you didn't know, I love the competition to the point of helping other racers in our own class fix their cars so we can race. I rescued Bill Woods with a dead car on grid last year at Hallett, and have offered help, parts, etc countless times to many racers in need over the years.

Me personally ? I would rather come in second place to you on the track than to have you break and be in the pits broken and us being first place.

Please bring it on, build a car, use your car, borrow a car, but please come on out and join in the fun.

Have a great day !
Viking

ps: I was just kidding about the"BMW weenies" thing, the BMW M3 is a wonderful platform/car/engine as has been documented by it's many wins over the years.
+1 to helping competition, that is what its all about. I've been in a class where I was out a head of the field, its not fun. Racing is about competition, any racer would welcome it.

BMW weenies? I'd hate to hear what you call PCA racers

Well, my car is for sale, so I don't think I will be joining any GTS races anytime soon. Unless, its in a friends car or rental. I will be joining the SM group, renting a car. I've found I'm a much better driver than mechanic, car ownership isn't my thing.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:51 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Fun weekend !
Old 03-14-2011, 01:55 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good meeting you Viking.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:06 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Good meeting you Viking.
Good to meet you also. Also good to see everyone else.
And yes Rob you were correct, we did go faster. Sorry you didn't have the early car out there because I think you would have had Kevin covered and he would have enjoyed the company. That track seems to favor a better handling car vs a big hp car.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Even a regular 996 Carrera, in Spec 996 trim but with better tires, would be a great choice. They are routinely in the 18's and 19's on that course with BFG R1's.
I saw your truck,trailer, and car, at the hotel Friday night but never saw you ? ? ? I guess you were just doing a Friday coaching session ?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 825 Posts

I saw your truck,trailer, and car, at the hotel Friday night but never saw you ? ? ? I guess you were just doing a Friday coaching session ?

I was coaching Thursday & Friday, then pulled out very early Saturday morning to Eagles Canyon, where I was instructing for PCA...hence why I had my car. Sorry we missed each other.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:05 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

I was coaching Thursday & Friday, then pulled out very early Saturday morning to Eagles Canyon, where I was instructing for PCA...hence why I had my car. Sorry we missed each other.

Yeah, I came in at 11:30 PM and saw your rig and then didn't see you in the AM, I was wondering.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I came in at 11:30 PM and saw your rig and then didn't see you in the AM, I was wondering.
I left at 0530
Old 03-14-2011, 11:22 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

I left at 0530
Yeah, I came down for a quick breakfast at 7:15, then was at the track by 7:30 getting ready for the 8am start.
Oh well, I know I will see you this weekend !
Need me to bring you a trailer ? I drive by his place on my way to TWS.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I came down for a quick breakfast at 7:15, then was at the track by 7:30 getting ready for the 8am start.
Oh well, I know I will see you this weekend !
Need me to bring you a trailer ? I drive by his place on my way to TWS.
Maybe. Not a bad idea. If I can get the buyer of mine to get it first, that would work great. I will advise! thanks!
Old 03-14-2011, 11:27 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Maybe. Not a bad idea. If I can get the buyer of mine to get it first, that would work great. I will advise! thanks!
Let me know, it could save you a few hrs worth of towing if it all works out and since MG and JH are towing their own this weekend I will be coming up with an empty truck.

Quick Reply: Some MSR-C fun