Sponsored by:

Some MSR-C fun

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:32 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
True, I meant all of these things will be class legal.* It's way down on GTS4 power.

He might be doing the DE or TT this weekend, he doesn't feel he's ready to race yet though. Sean and I have been coaching him and getting him up to speed, he really progressed a lot this past weekend. First race will be April 30/March 1 with BMWCCA at MSR-C, it's too bad NASA is the same weekend.

No, it will be raced in BMWCCA and NASA.

Why don't you or Sean take it out for a race then ?
Surely he would like to see his car do well and get some good data on how it should be driven.

And if he can do 1:18's in it he can't be that bad.

I'm guessing it's built for BMW so thats why it's down on power for GTS4 then ? If so he could ballast to GTS3 or even run slicks in GTS4 to bring the level up a notch.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Coco_951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a question for you guys. Do 996 cup cars fall into GTS4 typically? I’ve not raced NASA and I’m new to cup cars also but my thought is mine is a bit down on power and placing my fat butt in the seat I think I naturally ballast into GTS4. Would that car be competitive there?
Thanks all!!!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco_951
I've got a question for you guys. Do 996 cup cars fall into GTS4 typically? I’ve not raced NASA and I’m new to cup cars also but my thought is mine is a bit down on power and placing my fat butt in the seat I think I naturally ballast into GTS4. Would that car be competitive there?
Thanks all!!!
Cory,

Here's a link to the GTS calculator

http://www.nasagts.com/rules/GTS_Class_Index_Calc.xls

You just need to know the car weight with you in it, and the RWHP.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Why don't you or Sean take it out for a race then ?
Surely he would like to see his car do well and get some good data on how it should be driven.

And if he can do 1:18's in it he can't be that bad.

I'm guessing it's built for BMW so thats why it's down on power for GTS4 then ? If so he could ballast to GTS3 or even run slicks in GTS4 to bring the level up a notch.
It's not my car, that would be up to him. He already has data from me and Sean. I did the 18's, not him.

It might have more power by the end of this week, then another big bump in a couple of months(to put it at the GTS4 limit). If he did chose to run it this weekend we wouldn't mess with power or weight, just run it in it's current trim.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:47 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
It's not my car, that would be up to him. He already has data from me and Sean. I did the 18's, not him.

It might have more power by the end of this week, then another big bump in a couple of months(to put it at the GTS4 limit). If he did chose to run it this weekend we wouldn't mess with power or weight, just run it in it's current trim.
Well see if he wants to see his car out there racing , he might let you.
It would be great to have some more GTS cars to play with and the more cars we get the more the tire contingency goes up.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:52 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Thanks all!!!
GTS Rules

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/gts_rules.pdf
Old 03-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Coco_951
Instructor

Ok, I know I appear the idiot but I actually found the calculator and I can assume that after a dyno run I can fall into GTS4. So my real question for those with experience is will an early stock 996 cup be competitive with the other cars that run GTS4, i.e. I assume you could build a car with the same H.P./weight ratio that has significantly better suspension/braking setup? Since everything outside of HP/weight seems to be free, my assumption is that the competitive cars have the latest and greatest in these other categories. I may be totally off base so I’m looking for guidance from my friends who do double duty, PCA and NASA.. Again, I know just enough to be dangerous!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Coco_951
Instructor

Ok, I know I appear the idiot but I actually found the calculator and I can assume that after a dyno run I can fall into GTS4. So my real question for those with experience is will an early stock 996 cup be competitive with the other cars that run GTS4, i.e. I assume you could build a car with the same H.P./weight ratio that has significantly better suspension/braking setup? Since everything outside of HP/weight seems to be free, my assumption is that the competitive cars have the latest and greatest in these other categories. I may be totally off base so I’m looking for guidance from my friends who do double duty, PCA and NASA.. Again, I know just enough to be dangerous!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The BEST cars for GTS have a serious motor that has been detuned to have a VERY flat power curve that puts it right at the limit for the level they wish to be in. Very few people have done this. Yes, the rest of the car is important but it sure is easy to pass people on the straight.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:44 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Depends on driver.
I would say your car is a contender in the current region mix of cars, although there is this one guy that recently moved into GTS4 from GTS3 ........
Old 03-09-2011, 01:47 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
The BEST cars for GTS have a serious motor that has been detuned to have a VERY flat power curve that puts it right at the limit for the level they wish to be in. Very few people have done this.

Yep, and we happen to have one of those A-hole car builders in this region, although he is still in the process of transforming the car from a GTS3 to a GTS4 car so it isn't totally hp developed, yet.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:46 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Seems like a street 996 GT3 might be a decent choice for GTS. Factory HP is rated 380, but dyno (not butt dyno) is typically a bit more. With the weight in the car, you have plenty of room to get it right to the GTS limit. And it looks like the only penalty that might apply (not counting HP or or weight) is tires. So you could run just about any suspension you want. [unless I am reading the rules wrong].

-td
Old 03-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
Seems like a street 996 GT3 might be a decent choice for GTS. Factory HP is rated 380, but dyno (not butt dyno) is typically a bit more. With the weight in the car, you have plenty of room to get it right to the GTS limit. And it looks like the only penalty that might apply (not counting HP or or weight) is tires. So you could run just about any suspension you want. [unless I am reading the rules wrong].

-td
Even a regular 996 Carrera, in Spec 996 trim but with better tires, would be a great choice. They are routinely in the 18's and 19's on that course with BFG R1's.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:07 AM
JClark
Instructor

Sean, are you saying you cant get 45 heat cycles out of race tires? How is this car different to drive than a 911? You really saw at the wheel instead of just letting the car throw you off the track, does this mean you are slow? How do dampers work? Lame joke about the girl in VR's avatar.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:13 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Jay has never run a 1:18 there, I think his best was a 1:20 or so. I still haven't dialed up his power like I need to, so who knows. I guess we will see this weekend.

Kevin was looking forward to running with you this weekend in GTS3.
Jay turned a 1:19.3 there last year, in GTS-3 trim. There is no doubt he will set the GTS-4 record this year with something in the 17s or better.

I've got to be a realist, the rest of us in 4 are racing for second place. I'd feel bad but for the past two seasons he has gapped everyone in the nation by the same amount. My compliments and admiration to both of you.

Quick Reply: Some MSR-C fun