Alonso being Alonso... again

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:21 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts
Default Alonso being Alonso... again

We thought Alonso just wanted preferential treatment over Hamilton when at McLaren. Instead, according to a new book that will be published, he wanted RD to sabatoge Hamilton's car.... preferential treatment I guess wasn't enough...

Alonso: I'm in F1 to win, not to make friends

Following a number of stains on his character over the past week, double F1 World Champion Fernando Alonso has hit back by asserting that he is in the sport to win, 'not to make friends'
Double F1 World Champion Fernando Alonso has responded to recent slights against his character by asserting that he is in the sport 'not to make friends but to achieve many titles' – as he concedes that he is so happy at Ferrari that he even takes pleasure in 'finishing 23rd'.

Following the allegation in Tom Bowers' new book No Angel: The Secret Life Of Bernie Ecclestone that ahead of the 2007 Hungarian Grand Prix, Alonso asked McLaren-Mercedes team principal Ron Dennis to sabotage team-mate and bitter arch-rival Lewis Hamilton's car in a desperate bid to boost his own title hopes at the expense of the Briton's [see separate story – click here], Scuderia Toro Rosso ace Jaime Alguersuari stressed that he and his countryman, who he has previously described as 'very cold', are emphatically 'not friends'.

Alonso, though, insists that's fine by him, as he is not in F1 to form lasting personal bonds.

“I'm not racing to make friends but to achieve many titles,” the 29-year-old – seemingly never far from controversy – told Spanish sports daily Marca. “Let's see if I win enough to be remembered. If not, I will still retire very happy, proud of the experience.”

Alonso went on to reflect upon his time at Ferrari to-date, revealing that 'I expected a team of legend and magic and it has been a pleasant surprise, even better than I expected' and assuring that 'I am in no hurry to [leave] here...I even enjoy finishing second, eighth and 23rd'.

The Spaniard tempered that a touch, however, by confessing that he does have some misgivings with the way in which F1 has transformed itself over the past few decades from a pure gladiatorial sport into a billion-pound global business.

“It's not just racing,” he acknowledged. “F1 is also very much business and other interests. It's not a competition, pure and simple. Cars are not equal, the rules are not equal for all – but we know this and accept it because this is perhaps some of the charm of F1.”

Reminiscing further, Alonso rated the 2009 Renault R29 'the worst' car he has ever driven in the top flight since making his grand prix debut a decade ago – and the Enstone-based outfit's 2004 and 2005 models the best.

“There was the war with the Bridgestone and Michelin tyres that made us a couple of seconds faster, already with 900 horsepower,” he recalled. “Even with the inferior aerodynamics that we had six years ago compared to today, in Cheste (Valencia) we were doing 1m08s, compared to 1m14s now – six seconds different. Those cars are hard to beat.”

The 26-time grand prix-winner also admitted that he had the opportunity to join Prost Grand Prix rather than Minardi back in 2001 – with the carrot of a potential Ferrari test drive in the pipeline for afterwards – but he explained that the lack of assurances there contrasted with the prospect of promotion to Renault via his relationship with Flavio Briatore convinced him to take the Faenza route.

Looking ahead, finally, Alonso mused that F1 drivers' 'greatest sacrifice' is to 'dedicate our first 30 or 40 years exclusively' to racing, and whilst 'it will be hard to leave F1 one day because I've been driving all my life', he suggested that instead of eyeing a future team management role on the pit wall, he is more likely in retirement to look after the interests of a talented young driver or work with race driver education at his own kart circuit in Asturias – or even simply just enjoy himself.

“Today I would say no, because what I like is to drive,” he replied, when asked about the team management possibility. “I think I will prefer to spend the weekends having fun in a kart rather than doing some other job.”
Old 03-07-2011, 01:22 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alonso accused in latest character slur

Further revelations about the fraught relationship between Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton at McLaren-Mercedes in 2007 have come to light in the new book about F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone...
Double F1 World Champion Fernando Alonso has again seen his character and integrity come under attack after being accused of trying to deliberately 'sabotage' and undermine Lewis Hamilton when the pair were team-mates and bitter arch-rivals during an acrimonious campaign at McLaren-Mercedes in 2007.

According to Tom Bowers' new book No Angel: The Secret Life Of Bernie Ecclestone, ahead of that season's Hungarian Grand Prix at the Hungaroring close to Budapest, Alonso asked McLaren team principal Ron Dennis to short-fuel Hamilton's car so that the British star would run dry and fail to finish the race, thereby denting his own title hopes but likely boosting those of the Spaniard.

That, of course, was the very day after a tit-for-tat spat had culminated in Alonso blocking Hamilton in the pit-lane during qualifying so that the latter did not have enough time to begin his final flying lap – a misdemeanour for which the man from Oviedo earned himself a starting grid penalty.

The same race was also the backdrop for the alleged 'blackmail' threat made by Alonso against Dennis, with the 26-time grand prix-winner reputedly issuing his team boss with an ultimatum threatening to blow the lid on the 'Spygate' row by providing the FIA with incriminating e-mails – unless he was instated as the clear number one driver at the Woking-based outfit.

Now competing for Ferrari, Alonso has refused to respond to questions regarding the fresh allegations, but the sport's supremo Ecclestone has acknowledged in an interview with the official F1 website that the 2005 and 2006 title-winner 'is said to be a bit difficult', quipping that whilst an Alonso/Sebastian Vettel pairing at the Prancing Horse would be a dream scenario, he himself would need to be the team principal since 'I don't see anybody [else] able to handle these two guys in the right way...'

When asked who he favours out of Vettel and Red Bull Racing team-mate Mark Webber, meanwhile, the Formula One Management (FOM) chief executive fired back: “Very clearly Vettel!”
Old 03-07-2011, 02:56 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-07-2011, 03:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just waiting for "you know who" to complain to the Admin about the Alonso bashing ...
Old 03-07-2011, 03:31 PM
ATL986
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am an Alonso fan. I feel much the way he does. Who cares what your personal relationships are like. He didn't get to F1 by kissing ***, he did it by Kicking ***. He is fast, and he is unforgiving. Would I like to share a meal with him? No, he is an ***. Would I want him on my team, hell yes! He wins, that's that.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:38 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

There is a long list of drivers who were in F1 to "not make friends, but instead to win as many titles as they could". There is nothing new here. In fact was there anyone who would do anything to win more than Aryton Senna? Senna was ruthless. But you never heard Senna say something like "This is ridiculous, I am faster than him. Tell him to move over so that I can win the race". Well Fernando if you are faster than him, pass him. How about trying to win the race the old fashion way.

Alonso is a talented driver, but he is one of the biggest whiners the sport has ever known. Alonso is now in the perfect team for him. Alonso knows Massa's ***** have been tied behind his back. Yup Bernie gave Ferrari and Alonso a free pass with the "Team orders are now allowed" to abuse the poor Brazilian. I guess Massa earns a huge paycheck because who in their right mind would want to be teammates with Alonso the whiner.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL986
I am an Alonso fan. I feel much the way he does. Who cares what your personal relationships are like. He didn't get to F1 by kissing ***, he did it by Kicking ***. He is fast, and he is unforgiving. Would I like to share a meal with him? No, he is an ***. Would I want him on my team, hell yes! He wins, that's that.
Hmm, please explain how blackmailing your team or asking your team to sabotage your team-mates car is "kicking ***"?

I'm not sure, but I suspect I have a different interpretation for that term.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:54 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Perhaps the point was missed by some. No one is in F1 to make friends and there have been others who were ruthless

Alonso on the otherhand has reached a level never seen before. Again, the point I was trying to make was that it was not enough to be given preferential treatment over a rookie teammate, but Alonso wanted to deliberately short fuel Hamilton to have him DNF.

Alonso may be a great driver, but brilliant he is not. Short filling would have created a media storm of questions and controversy.

Another point possibly missed is the absolute EGO on this guy that he thinks he would force Ron Dennis to sabatoge his protegy into a DNF.

As we all know based on what happened a year later, Hamilton is lucky Alonso didn't order him into a wall.

The guy is a complete psycho willing to do anything for a race win whether it is forcing his teammate into a wall or having the pitwall order his teammate to pull over for him.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:53 PM
teamwenz
AutoX

Pete
You are awesome, this is good entertainment. Who would want to be Alonso's teammate just about every driver in the free world. Let's see multi million dollar retainer and the perks driving for Ferrari. What company car can I pick this week to thrash on, hmmm... Oh what lovely Italian Babe can I ...***, hmmm...

As far as ego you better have a huge one to make it to be one of 26 F1 drivers or have a dad with an ever bigger ego and checkbook to match.

I don't care who you are this sh** is funny, keep it up.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:28 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
There is a long list of drivers who were in F1 to "not make friends, but instead to win as many titles as they could". There is nothing new here. In fact was there anyone who would do anything to win more than Aryton Senna? Senna was ruthless. But you never heard Senna say something like "This is ridiculous, I am faster than him. Tell him to move over so that I can win the race". Well Fernando if you are faster than him, pass him. How about trying to win the race the old fashion way.

Alonso is a talented driver, but he is one of the biggest whiners the sport has ever known. Alonso is now in the perfect team for him. Alonso knows Massa's ***** have been tied behind his back. Yup Bernie gave Ferrari and Alonso a free pass with the "Team orders are now allowed" to abuse the poor Brazilian. I guess Massa earns a huge paycheck because who in their right mind would want to be teammates with Alonso the whiner.
On the contrary, Senna was known to react poorly when he was outqualified by a teammate. Granted, this didn't happen often, and Senna did seem to have a compassionate side to him...

But overall, I agree. Alonso is far too talented for some of his antics.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:27 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by teamwenz
Pete
You are awesome, this is good entertainment. Who would want to be Alonso's teammate just about every driver in the free world. Let's see multi million dollar retainer and the perks driving for Ferrari. What company car can I pick this week to thrash on, hmmm... Oh what lovely Italian Babe can I ...***, hmmm...

As far as ego you better have a huge one to make it to be one of 26 F1 drivers or have a dad with an ever bigger ego and checkbook to match.

Ahhhhhh, ask Hamilton, Pinquet and Massa if they enjoy(ed) being Alonso's teammate. I believe the answer is no for different reasons. At least Hamilton beat Alonso straight up as a green rookie. The other two are paid blockers and backmarkers

Alonso is too talented for this crap. Too bad because in those articles he talks about how he will be remembered, but unfortunately, his legacy is tainted a great deal at this point.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:51 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by teamwenz
Pete

You don't need to be Alonso's teammate to get multi million Euro contracts and Italian babes. That comes with being a top driver, but there is only one person who could be Alonso's teammate and has openly said he wants to be at Maranello and that's Vettel.

Your location says "Frozen Tundra", so if your a GB Packer fan, I'll put it in terms you can easily understand: If that ever happens, look for the same scenario of the Favre/Rodgers replacement.

I've always said, Fernando is good in the cockpit, it's outside that small box that he gets in trouble. And he ain't getting any younger either. He made the most amount of unforced errors on track of his entire F1 career in 2010. If he wouldn't have those many mistakes, he would have easily become a 3 time champion. Is 'Nando on the downside of his career? Will we see more of his 2010 blunders? Stay tuned, because that's where you'll get entertained.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Looks like he's the Wall Street version of an F1 driver.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:03 PM
teamwenz
AutoX

You are right Pete. But Vettel made plenty of mistakes as well. Just because these guy's are freaks of nature in the driving abilities, many times their moral character does not equal their driving talent. I am in WI and Favre was crazy fun to watch but his moral values were suspect. Rogers seems to be the real deal both on and off the playing field. Time will tell but he does a lot for charities and never gets or seeks any publicity for it, just does it becaus that is who he is.

At least in Senna he just wrecked Prost to win the title. Never lied about it, just ran into him. That is why we love the sport, to see a true freak of nature perform at their best, it's amazing and fun to watch.

Quick Reply: Alonso being Alonso... again