Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do any 'quiet' track brake pads exist?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 10:57 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think everyone's missed the obvious solution to this problem - get a set of dedicated track wheels with r-comps. That way, as you swap the street tires to track rubber, you can also swap in the track pads. When you swap the street tires back on, pop in the regular street compound pads. Problem solved.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpk
I think everyone's missed the obvious solution to this problem - get a set of dedicated track wheels with r-comps. That way, as you swap the street tires to track rubber, you can also swap in the track pads. When you swap the street tires back on, pop in the regular street compound pads. Problem solved.
And you'll volunteer to do the swap for all Rennlister's when they swap pads?!?

Oh, and while you're at it, might as well swap out the rotors at the same time, so you don't have to worry about re-bedding the pads/rotors again!

-Z
Old 03-04-2011, 09:09 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

once you remove the mufflers you will no longer hear the squeaky brakes.....
Old 03-04-2011, 10:31 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I found this web site:
http://www.topbrakes.com/searchResul...&category_id=2

Can anybody enlighten me - what are 'Hawk', 'Ferodo', 'Porterfield'? Kinda interesting not to see pagids in that list. Also interesting to see selection of aftermarket rotors there. Is that 'DBA standard slotted' worth anything good?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've been running Performance Friction PFC-01 and PFC-06 on both my E36 M3 race car and E46 M3 street/track car. They are very quiet on the street. They can make a bit of noise on the track. They are also a very good race pad. For the street car we leave them on all summer. They also do not dust much.

I used to run Pagid Orange on my Turbo street/track car. Now I use Blacks. Both squeak on the street. I think the Orange was worse for noise than the black for noise.

I think the noise also has a lot to do with harmonics. They can be quiet on one car and loud on another model. It depends on the brakes...
Old 03-04-2011, 11:30 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

I just ordered a set of front EBC Yellow Stuff Brake Pads DP41514R. $109. Several folks emailed me about them, so, will see how it will work out. In worst case it is just a waste of 2 bottles of good wine.

PFCs are probably good but I was shocked a bit to see that now it apparently sells for $400+ for a front set alone.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:38 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I found this web site:
http://www.topbrakes.com/searchResul...&category_id=2

Can anybody enlighten me - what are 'Hawk', 'Ferodo', 'Porterfield'? Kinda interesting not to see pagids in that list. Also interesting to see selection of aftermarket rotors there. Is that 'DBA standard slotted' worth anything good?
Those are brands of brake pad's...like Pagid...just other brands. For Porsche the most popular brand is Pagid and then Performance Friction. I've used both and they both are great. I did find that the Performance Friction pads transfered more heat to the caliper but they had more initial bite. I also like that Performance Friction pads do not need all that bed in that the Pagid pads do.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:42 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Those are brands of brake pad's...
I`ve managed to figure out that part
I was wondering if anybody actually ever used them and how do they perform. Still I am probably all set for a season now - front RS29 have about of 80% of life in them, rears are like new, so I`ll try to keep rs29 in rear with those EBCs in front, if overall result will not be too bad then I`ll write about it, if not - I will just suck it up with RS29s.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:49 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

LOTS of people use PFC's. I'd guess that they are the second most popular brand next to Pagid amongst the Porsche crowd.

DBA disks are to my knowledge the only one-piece non-drilled rotor option for the 996/997 right now. I've used one set, but found that they developed cracks just like the cross-drilled rotors, so I've gone back to the Porsche brand rotors.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:12 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I`ve managed to figure out that part
I was wondering if anybody actually ever used them and how do they perform. Still I am probably all set for a season now - front RS29 have about of 80% of life in them, rears are like new, so I`ll try to keep rs29 in rear with those EBCs in front, if overall result will not be too bad then I`ll write about it, if not - I will just suck it up with RS29s.
There's a reason Porsche Cup Cars, RSR, etc, use Pagid. Think of all the research their engineers put into braking.

Racing pads WILL squeal on the street, if you can't live with that, you will have to give up the extra braking performance or keep changing pads each time you go to the track
Old 03-04-2011, 01:39 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 760 Likes on 378 Posts

I use Hawk Blue, no noise at all. I actually had them on our street car for a while too. they seem to bite well even when cold. Then again....I don't use the brakes much on the race car.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 03-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,693 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Those are brands of brake pad's...like Pagid...just other brands. For Porsche the most popular brand is Pagid and then Performance Friction. I've used both and they both are great. I did find that the Performance Friction pads transfered more heat to the caliper but they had more initial bite. I also like that Performance Friction pads do not need all that bed in that the Pagid pads do.
And PFC pads are good right down to the backing plate, whereas Pagid and others are garbage when ~2/3 down.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
Ran PFC97 pads on my Targa for years on the street...They were pretty quiet, never seemed to make much noise at all.
Yep the PFC 97 gets my vote too and since it's been around a while the price is right

I've used a lot of different pads and PFC 97s are the only pad that's decent on the street but will still hold up well to track work. Obviously less friction than an 01 but they are very kind to rotors and don't squeak much but also have a huge temp range so they'll work when braking from 150 or 160 without melting or fading you just have to brake 25 feet sooner.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by naroescape
I use Hawk Blue, no noise at all. I actually had them on our street car for a while too. they seem to bite well even when cold. Then again....I don't use the brakes much on the race car.
I think you're kidding

Hawke blues are the worst street pads ever made. Lots of noise and you may as well put your rotors on a grinder that's manned by a drunk machinist. Blues won't wear even unless they are at temp.

And what's even worse than destroying your rotors, not being able to stop and the noise is all metal you are filing off the rotors end up stuck on your wheels and car as rust spots.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

I just ordered a set of front EBC Yellow Stuff Brake Pads DP41514R. $109. Several folks emailed me about them, so, will see how it will work out. In worst case it is just a waste of 2 bottles of good wine.

PFCs are probably good but I was shocked a bit to see that now it apparently sells for $400+ for a front set alone.

Like tires pads are worth spending the money on. Should of gone with 97s

Quick Reply: do any 'quiet' track brake pads exist?