Sponsored by:

Cage time for the 928

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:21 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Updates:

Cage is finally donzo and completely welded up. Also welded on some 1/4" steel plates to mount the spoiler uprights and almost finished the lexan hatch. Spoiler will easily hold my weight and is fully adjustable...not bad for a $50 craigslist snag. Originally had the rear mounts on the bumper but was way too flexible even with a large backing plate. Pics are below (front ride hight is set very high so I can get out of the driveway without taking out the radiator) questions/advice/comments are appreciated as always

Time for beer!

Front Frame Brace

Old 07-04-2011, 10:28 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

your getting there......your rear wing looks set VERY aggressive.... probably overkill until you have a splitter to match up front......it will make the car understeer like crazy in the higher speed corners....

928's are "understeering" car my nature...but you can get them very neutral through suspension settings & alignment....but my car doesn't have aero either......
Old 07-05-2011, 11:36 AM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

it was set that way just to make sure it would have enough rake for tighter tracks and was planning on making a splitter as soon as the interior is painted up.

With 2 deg of camber, 850lb front/650lb rear springs, and the 928 spec. sways set to full stiff, I found the car very tail happy. But that was with DOT 285s on the rear, so Ill get back to you once I throw the larger hohos on

Any particular reason you havent put any aero on the estate? Plywood splitters are only like 40$ in materials
Old 07-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Benton
Drifting

Seb,

Looking good man! One of the first things that stands out is you are going to have problems with that lexan if you have it mounted solidly without accounting for expansion/contraction. Did you drill the holes larger than the bolts, are the bolts tightened down completely, and is the size of the lexan the exact size of the rear hatch or is there a buffer? Lexan expands and contracts quite a bit, and if it is not allowed to do so, it WILL crack--trust me.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:19 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Main hoop diagonal is supposed to be one bar. You will probably get some grief from NASA tech. I know they have let cars in with the diagonal like that, so hopefully you will be OK.
Nice fabricating, good luck.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:48 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ubercooper
it was set that way just to make sure it would have enough rake for tighter tracks and was planning on making a splitter as soon as the interior is painted up.

With 2 deg of camber, 850lb front/650lb rear springs, and the 928 spec. sways set to full stiff, I found the car very tail happy. But that was with DOT 285s on the rear, so Ill get back to you once I throw the larger hohos on

Any particular reason you havent put any aero on the estate? Plywood splitters are only like 40$ in materials
No good excuse really...but I am getting a pre built by another 928er plywood splitter soon...... While my Estate rear end is not great in terms of drag...it does appear to make good downforce.....I think my next test will be how the car performs with NOTHING back there....once I cut off the estate anyway

Then again with the type of power you have its EASY to add oversteer wherever you want!! :>) Its hard with my brute 200whp!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:35 PM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Did you drill the holes larger than the bolts, are the bolts tightened down completely, and is the size of the lexan the exact size of the rear hatch or is there a buffer?
Yes but only slightly
I used rivets, so yes
There is about a 1/8" space between the lexan and the edge of the hatch plus a bunch of RTV sealant to prevent leakage... it will be fine for the summer but I'll be interested to see what happens when winter comes around

Main hoop diagonal is supposed to be one bar. You will probably get some grief from NASA tech. I know they have let cars in with the diagonal like that, so hopefully you will be OK.
Nice fabricating, good luck.
Thanks, I was unsure about that because most cages Ive seen have a solid diagonal bar but the "SCCA approved" instructions said this was the proper method. IMHO with proper welds, the structural integrity will not be compromised and shouldn't make a difference either way.

materials
No good excuse really...but I am getting a pre built by another 928er plywood splitter soon...... While my Estate rear end is not great in terms of drag...it does appear to make good downforce.....I think my next test will be how the car performs with NOTHING back there....once I cut off the estate anyway
thats good, plywood splitters are the cheap/easy way of snagging some front end grip... and yeah I wouldnt expect the estate to be the pinnacle of aero lol. If you end up taking off the rear, you definitely need to make the first open top 928 racer

Quick Reply: Cage time for the 928