Sponsored by:

Nitto NT01 - Camber and PSI Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 08:32 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I picked up some CCW 18s with NT01s and I'll be running them at Thunderhill in a few weeks so I'm looking forward to the experience of tracking with my first set of R-compound tires. I will be driving on them for a few hundred miles and since my car has a loud exhaust I doubt I'll even hear the tires and no rain in the forecast.
You're in for a blast. I used them for the first time 2 months ago. This was after about 30+ trackdays only on street tires. Holy s--t what a difference! I couldn't use anywhere near all the grip they offered in the corners that first weekend, but the braking grip...whoa. That comes to ya right away.

Can anybody say about how many days they have left once the tread goes away? My rears have almost no tread left after just three days.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Upstate101
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My NT01s grip till their corded. Great DE/track tire.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:54 PM
MelanomaMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They tend to get better towards the end, plus you can flip 'em on the wheel if needed. I'd prefer to start with them shaved for best results, but for practice full tread they last a long time IMO. If you think these are great, be weary of the Hoosier crack pipe!
Old 08-16-2013, 01:11 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,116 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by MelanomaMan
They tend to get better towards the end, plus you can flip 'em on the wheel if needed. I'd prefer to start with them shaved for best results, but for practice full tread they last a long time IMO. If you think these are great, be weary of the Hoosier crack pipe!
I'm going to take it one crack pipe hit at time before I go for multiple hits (with the Hoosiers). I'm going to have to get used to braking later by trusting the GT3 brakes and r-compound rubber. I'm hoping to get a good amount of use of the NT01s since my skill level is intermediate.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:14 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,116 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
You're in for a blast. I used them for the first time 2 months ago. This was after about 30+ trackdays only on street tires. Holy s--t what a difference! I couldn't use anywhere near all the grip they offered in the corners that first weekend, but the braking grip...whoa. That comes to ya right away.

Can anybody say about how many days they have left once the tread goes away? My rears have almost no tread left after just three days.
I heard it's a good idea to get the NT01s nice and warmed up with the first lap before pushing them a bit more...is that true? How do they deal with track days where it starts warm and gets over 100 by the afternoon sessions (the summer track days that I've gone to in So Cal can get up to 105+).
Old 08-16-2013, 01:56 PM
rlets
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I ran mine in eastern OR a couple weeks ago. We had 98 degrees in the paddock mid-afternoon. The tires were good, didn't notice any loss of grip as it got hotter and no unusual wear. I ran a couple of 40 minute sessions, so 20 laps or so, and they didn't get greasy. Just nice consistent grip even if nowhere near what the guys on slicks were getting.

I'll add, coolshirt for the win!

Rich

Quick Reply: Nitto NT01 - Camber and PSI Question