Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Initial Moton settings?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:29 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 35 Posts

I just installed the Moton CS I also purchased in the group by this week. I am going out tomorrow, weather permitting. My mechanic spoke to Lex and he recommend we start at rebound 6 from soft, compression 4 from soft. I am running slightly softer springs but don't know what relevance that has.

Felt a lot different driving the car home from the shop, anxious to get it on the track.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:40 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I hope that the above suggestions are cognizant of the OP's spring rates: 800/1000. You'll need a bit more damping compared to people running 600/800 or such. This issue is often overlooked when people discuss shock settings.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:05 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Radical changes like that wouldn't help learn. And you really need to dial one setting in first and then work the other.
I have never had a driver that couldn't feel the difference between 2 clicks, it really makes a difference and helps the learning curve. It does help if you have a coach/mechanic/etc available to assist you that can also technically question and discuss what is happening. There will be a difference sometimes at different sections of the corner which is very critical for correctly tuning the car. Paying someone that knows and understands what and why it is happening here can save you much frustration, and many slower laps.
Ok fair enough. Having not driven on these yet I thought that 2 clicks out of 15 may not be that discernible for some of us but am happy to take you word for it. I totally agree with the use of someone experienced to help you sort it out. In fact it would be crazy not to in my pretty limited experience of tuning having had 2 way KWs for a few years. The great advantage with the remotes will be ease of adj by comparison. In fact I was almost considering getting some with long enough optional lines so as to mount the cannisters inside the cabin within reach while harnessed in?
Just to clarify another point. You guys are discussing what I assume is gas pressure rates (150psi fronts 175 psi rears). Is this just how they come or is this something that is also 'alterable'? Springs will be 915/1140lbs.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by brucegre
Sorry Chris, I'm going to be much more evil than VR on the setup stuff. You will bring the car to the track, set up as suggested, then I'm going to change your shock settings and you're going to drive the car and tell me what it's doing differently and what you think I changed. Then I'll tell you what I changed. We go through this for a few iterations and you'll have a very visceral understanding of what mucking with the shock settings can do. Besides, it'll make for an enjoyable day for one of us
Learning how to properly understand how to use the shocks and adjust them properly would be very worthwhile.

I would appreciate your help even if it is at my expense. At least I'll be learning something.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Learning how to properly understand how to use the shocks and adjust them properly would be very worthwhile.

I would appreciate your help even if it is at my expense. At least I'll be learning something.
Chris, I think Bruce's advice is probably one of the betters on here. Get somebody that knows what they are doing to help you set them. Have them at the track on the days you are going to try to dial the suspension in. Turning some ***** in a one direction or the other can be great to learn but you need to have someone there to also explain why you felt what you did and how the suspension, chassis and tires all responded to these changes.

I have worked with a couple of guys on doing similar stuff with their cars. The main reason we did the shock sweeps with them wasn't to dial the car in but it was so they could feel how turning the ***** changed how the car responded. A debrief would help to get them pointed in the right direction with how the car responds to the changes along with getting the car setup for their driving style and what they are comfortable with.

There is nothing worse than spending $5k+ on a set of shocks on your $50K+ and getting bad results. That is why spending the little bit more to get help dialing them in with somebody that does this for a living helps. For the overall investment the coach is cheap because you will get driving advice along with setup advice. Both of these help make you faster over the life of your driving career. Hope this helps and let us know what you end up doing

Of course I am one of the guys that does this for a living so part of this is a plug on what I do and part of it is advice to a fellow Rennlister. Everything I said is from my experience working with guys in club racing, pro racing, and DEs.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Chris, I think Bruce's advice is probably one of the betters on here. Get somebody that knows what they are doing to help you set them. Have them at the track on the days you are going to try to dial the suspension in. Turning some ***** in a one direction or the other can be great to learn but you need to have someone there to also explain why you felt what you did and how the suspension, chassis and tires all responded to these changes.

I have worked with a couple of guys on doing similar stuff with their cars. The main reason we did the shock sweeps with them wasn't to dial the car in but it was so they could feel how turning the ***** changed how the car responded. A debrief would help to get them pointed in the right direction with how the car responds to the changes along with getting the car setup for their driving style and what they are comfortable with.

There is nothing worse than spending $5k+ on a set of shocks on your $50K+ and getting bad results. That is why spending the little bit more to get help dialing them in with somebody that does this for a living helps. For the overall investment the coach is cheap because you will get driving advice along with setup advice. Both of these help make you faster over the life of your driving career. Hope this helps and let us know what you end up doing

Of course I am one of the guys that does this for a living so part of this is a plug on what I do and part of it is advice to a fellow Rennlister. Everything I said is from my experience working with guys in club racing, pro racing, and DEs.
Seth that sounds like a great plan. Thanks.

Bruce knows what he's talking about car wise and he's usually at the track. He's been my usual go to guy for advice over the years.

I'm looking forward to this.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,663 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by brucegre
Sorry Chris, I'm going to be much more evil than VR on the setup stuff. You will bring the car to the track, set up as suggested, then I'm going to change your shock settings and you're going to drive the car and tell me what it's doing differently and what you think I changed. Then I'll tell you what I changed. We go through this for a few iterations and you'll have a very visceral understanding of what mucking with the shock settings can do. Besides, it'll make for an enjoyable day for one of us
LOL! Yeah...me evil?

Actually, you & Seth are 100% correct, and I agree fully, but I had to be very careful not to appear to solicit business here.

Chris, I hope you received my email with those documents.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

Chris, I hope you received my email with those documents.

Not yet. Sent you a PM.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,663 Likes on 857 Posts

Not yet. Sent you a PM.

Thanks.
OK, I have re-sent it from 2 separate email addresses.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:16 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4porsh
Try:

call Lex at Moton 1-770-886-8777.

+1 He set up my car just about perfect in one shot!
Old 02-18-2011, 08:10 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Lex is the greatest, although even he will tell you to play with the adjustments to determine what is best for that day, track, driver, conditions, etc etc.

Lex can give you a baseline although I, and my customers, always learn more about the car and setup when l, with them, have gone thru the slow learning curve of a click or two at a time. It's a pain and time consuming although the lessons learned are well worth it IMHO.

Originally Posted by va122
+1 He set up my car just about perfect in one shot!
Old 02-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Try:

Front= 150 psi, 3 clicks on compression(cans), 4 clicks rebound(struts).

Rear= 175 psi, 3 clicks on compression, 5 on rebound.

or call Lex at Moton 1-770-886-8777.

p.s this is with the 7 click CS

Talked with Lex this morning. What an awesome guy.

With 15 click shocks
Pressure 150 psi F, 175 psi R
Rebound 5 clicks F, 6 clicks R
Compression 7 clicks F, 8 clicks R may go as much as 10 but gotta play with it

Thanks guys!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:05 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Talked with Lex this morning. What an awesome guy.

With 15 click shocks
Pressure 150 psi F, 175 psi R
Rebound 5 clicks F, 6 clicks R
Compression 7 clicks F, 8 clicks R may go as much as 10 but gotta play with it

Thanks guys!
Ya that Lex, he really cares.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Ya that Lex, he really cares.
It's amazing actually.

Good customer service after the sale is so rare.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:40 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

It's amazing actually.

Good customer service after the sale is so rare.

Lex has been in the shock business for a very long time and fully understands the importance of great customer service, and he truly is a real nice guy.

Quick Reply: Initial Moton settings?