Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What price would you pay for the book?
Would not be interested.
4.76%
$20-$40
52.38%
$41-$60
38.10%
$61-$80
2.38%
$81-$100
2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Data Acquisition Book Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:39 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Bunch of cheap bastages. I'd pay $100 for 0.5 sec... and I know low-level data observations can get me at least that.
LOL, that's the right response for sure!

I was hoping the author was somebody else talking about writing a book, but will be interested to read it all the same!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:05 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
You tell Peter that I want a free signed copy! (I'm taking a guess at the author, but hope I am right!)
Sorry, not sure who Peter is. Can you fill me in?
Old 02-17-2011, 06:27 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^ I think Mike is talking about Peter K, a/k/a "Lolaman", but I could be wrong..

The book sounds great. Maybe have him post up a TOC; like, say, what Amazon does, so one can get an idea of the topics covered, how the book is organized, etc.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Sorry, not sure who Peter is. Can you fill me in?
Peter Krause. Just had breakfast with him today and he sounded flattered by the thought of him writing the book.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:01 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cello
^ I think Mike is talking about Peter K, a/k/a "Lolaman", but I could be wrong..

The book sounds great. Maybe have him post up a TOC; like, say, what Amazon does, so one can get an idea of the topics covered, how the book is organized, etc.
Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Peter Krause. Just had breakfast with him today and he sounded flattered by the thought of him writing the book.
Thanks. I know of him - S2000 guy runs an SR71 (which have a very interesting story with those cars).
Old 02-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Not an SR71. He runs a Tiga SC84. Not sure if he's had an SR71 in the past but the Tiga's still pretty quick.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:06 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

He should write a book of some sort. His posts at FerrariChat and his 'track wisdom' stories on his website are direct, informative, and well written, IMHO.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:06 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Not an SR71. He runs a Tiga SC84. Not sure if he's had an SR71 in the past but the Tiga's still pretty quick.
Maybe it was borrowed - I checked and found some results in a Lola/SR71. SR71s tend to move around a lot.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Thanks, Mike, Cello, Joe. I appreciate the kind words. While there is a small tome along the same lines in the works, my focus is building my full-time private data driven coaching business based at VIR and writing a few articles for national magazines, educational websites and speaking at data and driving seminars. Just got back from the Technology Racing Conference on Long Island earlier this month. With over 10,000 individual files of Club Racing and DE drivers over the last fifteen years, I have a LOT of source material! Not platform specific, either.

I'm signing up on the list with Chris tonight. I'm that sure it'll be terrific! He's not only got the experience and horsepower on the subject, but can explain cogently how to "read" the wealth of information present in logged data. Giving life to these "squiggly lines" is a dynamic, ever-changing thing, just like lapping! Doesn't matter if it's an H Prod (or G Stock) car or a Historic Formula One car, it's all good information FULL of "low-hanging fruit." Chris will help a LOT of people harvest that information more easily. I'm definitely in at $41-$60.

Mark, I've enjoyed following your exploits in D Sports for some time. First with the SR3, then with the Stohr. I'm active sometimes on the Sports Racer board.

As far as Sports 2000 goes, I love those cars. I've bought and sold around four dozen in the last eight years, including three SR71's (all built by Steven). Have the track record at CMP and held the record at NJMP Thunderbolt for two years at 1:22.9 (beat Matt's earlier record in his SR71, then he got it back by a few tenths last year) and now have the last SR71 that Steven put on the pole at the RunOffs in 2004 over John, finishing second. They're like scalpels after the Prod and T1-T2 cars! Still love my Tiga though, you can go OVER the edge in that car and still bring it back...

Funny thing, I can "see" what the data traces look like as I drive. Does that mean I'm sick? lol!

Below, on the pole in an old Lola T-590 on the left next to gifted photographer Peter Harholdt in his yellow Pratt & Miller RM2. The last SR71 is behind Peter, driven by it's owner, Paul Tavilla.

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-17-2011, 09:25 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
I will pay a lot more for 0.5 seconds
That's for sure - I was just citing the top bracket in the poll.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:52 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Thanks, Mike, Cello, Joe. I appreciate the kind words. While there is a small tome along the same lines in the works, my focus is building my full-time private data driven coaching business based at VIR and writing a few articles for national magazines, educational websites and speaking at data and driving seminars. Just got back from the Technology Racing Conference on Long Island earlier this month. With over 10,000 individual files of Club Racing and DE drivers over the last fifteen years, I have a LOT of source material! Not platform specific, either.

I'm signing up on the list with Chris tonight. I'm that sure it'll be terrific! He's not only got the experience and horsepower on the subject, but can explain cogently how to "read" the wealth of information present in logged data. Giving life to these "squiggly lines" is a dynamic, ever-changing thing, just like lapping! Doesn't matter if it's an H Prod (or G Stock) car or a Historic Formula One car, it's all good information FULL of "low-hanging fruit." Chris will help a LOT of people harvest that information more easily. I'm definitely in at $41-$60.

Mark, I've enjoyed following your exploits in D Sports for some time. First with the SR3, then with the Stohr. I'm active sometimes on the Sports Racer board.

As far as Sports 2000 goes, I love those cars. I've bought and sold around four dozen in the last eight years, including three SR71's (all built by Steven). Have the track record at CMP and held the record at NJMP Thunderbolt for two years at 1:22.9 (beat Matt's earlier record in his SR71, then he got it back by a few tenths last year) and now have the last SR71 that Steven put on the pole at the RunOffs in 2004 over John, finishing second. They're like scalpels after the Prod and T1-T2 cars! Still love my Tiga though, you can go OVER the edge in that car and still bring it back...

Funny thing, I can "see" what the data traces look like as I drive. Does that mean I'm sick? lol!

Below, on the pole in an old Lola T-590 on the left next to gifted photographer Peter Harholdt in his yellow Pratt & Miller RM2. The last SR71 is behind Peter, driven by it's owner, Paul Tavilla.
I am always amazed at how small this community really is. Thanks for the comments. The Stohr is gone - living a life at the pointy end of the grid in IMSA lites.

I really enjoy reading the stuff from "The Pirate". No BS, no slack. He is a drill sergeant and man does he know his stuff. I have some of his posts from the S2 forum tucked away and go back and read them from time to time.

I think that you and I are getting hooked up through Joe, but if you want to send me a PM with contact info, I will call to discuss the new activity that I think Joe mentioned to you.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 AM
cbracer
Intermediate

Default book comparisons

Hi Everyone, and thanks for all the interest in a book. When I first started writing it over 3 years ago, I told myself it was worth $80-$120. Problem is there are few people who would plop down that kind of dough without reading it first. Once you've read it you'd probably say it was worth that. But even at those prices, I wouldn't sell enough volume to pay for the time it took to write a book. I'll never get back enough to cover those hours, let alone all the socializing moments I lost out on in the evenings & weekends I wrote. When I started writing there was only the McBeath book available.

The McBeath book is basic, geared for someone who has never heard of data logging. The Segers book is expensive, $80 for a black and white book. Last time I paid that much was for a college text book and even then it was printed on a 2 color press and more than twice the # of pages. It has a lot of equations, but not much on driver based analysis. I did buy it, but loaned it to a friend the next day and haven't seen it since. Don't even remember who I loaned it to which is upsetting because I loaned my Buddy Fey Data Power book to this girl I liked at the time, we broke it off and I never saw that book again. Then I bought the Templeman book, loaned it out, haven't got that back but at least I know who has it. And I never got around to reading that one either.... argh. At least it was in color and cheap off Amazon.

So my thought was $45 for the paperback and $60 for the hardback. Which would you prefer the paperback or hardback?

cheers,
Christopher Brown
Old 02-18-2011, 01:12 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

I'd go for a hardback for that price personally.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 AM
kfyork
Advanced

I'd go for a hardback for that price personally.
+1
Old 02-18-2011, 09:59 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

This may be one of those books where brevity is better.
I would prefer paperback, BTW.

Quick Reply: Data Acquisition Book Pricing