CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ +1
Old 02-18-2011, 04:51 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

what i dont understand is the pricing, is hjc any better or worse than a bell or arai but way cheaper? Im not looking to cheap out on my head and i hear people say how much is your head worth but i just want to know if they all meet Snell2010 cert what is the difference?
Old 02-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I say buy the lightest helmet that fits you perfectly in the price range you decide on. Simple.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I say buy the lightest helmet that fits you perfectly in the price range you decide on. Simple.
+1

I've never heard of a mfr stating about how their helmet exceeded the tests and by what amount that was so it's purely anecdotal when someone says a helmet is better than another in safety sense.

The lightweight is something that can be quantified and in big time deceleration events lighter can help. 1 lb at 50g's is now 50lbs. Lift up a bag of dog food with your neck. That's just the difference of the weight of a light helmet and a really heavy helmet. Remember that there's a few more pound in the helmet and the head is a few more on top of that so every bit in that sense helps.

The differences.

Materials. Glass to CF for the shell, nicer liner materials etc.

Warranty. Some mfrs may not provide as good of a warranty. I know Arai has done a great job for the most part with people who've had liner issues. Stand21 is phenomenal in customer service after the sale. I've had no problems with Bell either. No eperience with others in after the sale situations.

Design/Build . Some companies are going out of their way to design/build the helmets and I'm sure that cost is seen in the higher MSRP

Whizzy bits. The whizzier helmets with things hanging off of them or more features will cost more because they have those 'value added' benefits even if it may not cost more to mfr.

Other standards.. Snell isn't the end all be all of helmet standards. Some like the latest FIA look to be much more difficult to pass. But that also makes the helmet's noticeably heavier. Stand21 had two shells side by side, one with the SA only rating and one with the new FIA rating. The FIA felt much heaiver. Mainly due to a couple of spots having to be up to twice as thick to meet the different standards.

Buy what fits. After you know it fits then work on things like weight, prices, looks.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:31 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

joe,

can you get the fia stand21 units? does the fia unit have the sa rating too since everyone in the usa needs to see that cert?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

Stand 21-
Old 02-18-2011, 08:38 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Definitely more a matter of fit and comfort than anything else.... Arai is what works for me... thank god I love the design and quality of Arai helmets... I hate their price when compared to Bell and some other common brands. Personally i wouldn't venture in any esoteric brand however...

Last edited by FredC; 02-18-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
joe,

can you get the fia stand21 units? does the fia unit have the sa rating too since everyone in the usa needs to see that cert?
I can't. If you're looking for Stand21 Russell in their Georgia office is the man to talk to. GREAT service and I might end up getting one from him even though I don't carry them. He's about the only person I'd do something like that for.

I beleive the latest FIA helmets also come with a SA2005 rating (the standard doesn't mesh with the SA2010) Most organizations are just fine with the FIA rating. They might need to be reminded to look in the rule book though. SCCA, NASA and PCA are all okay with the FIA certification.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 871 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Stand 21-
+F21

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-19-2011, 12:03 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I can't. If you're looking for Stand21 Russell in their Georgia office is the man to talk to. GREAT service and I might end up getting one from him even though I don't carry them. He's about the only person I'd do something like that for.

I beleive the latest FIA helmets also come with a SA2005 rating (the standard doesn't mesh with the SA2010) Most organizations are just fine with the FIA rating. They might need to be reminded to look in the rule book though. SCCA, NASA and PCA are all okay with the FIA certification.
Joe, Russell has left Stand21 and Chad, his #2, has moved into his position.

Bill
Old 02-19-2011, 12:42 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

oopps. Well Chad is just as great too. They're in a great position to have a great product and a very good boss man in Yves back over in France. I hadn't talked to Russell in a while and can only wish him all the best.

Quick Reply: arai vs bell helmets