Sponsored by:

Risking an internet beating . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:15 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Ah Ha! Look what I found in slo mo! Explains everything!
I've heard of "hand of god" brakes... Is that the "finger flick of god"?...
Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
Larry, in real time, could you have got off the brakes fast enough to stop this spin?

To me, it seems unless one's butt dyno was very tuned it would be tough to have stopped this from occurring as the time from recognition to R turning was s.h.o.r.t ..

Another way of asking this is how long do you have on sensing lock up to reduce braking pressure? As the reaction time would be reduced by any lack of traction resulting from the the track surface (ie bumps), would this not have been primarily caused by braking in the wrong spot (area of the track) ??

Honest question, and -OP- definitely Monday Morning QB-ing here.. Trying to learn.
That is a really good question, and in all honesty I don't know. I think that if you had to feel the car coming around before you knew to react, then it probably would be too late. On the other hand, if you can feel the lock up, or know that you are in a situation where lockup can throw the car sideways (like a bumpy braking zone) and are anticpating it, you have a much better chance of controlling it. That said, if he could have felt the lockup and got the left rear wheel to unlock before the car pitched sideways, he certainly would have blown the corner and been looking for alternative lines.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Last edited by Larry Herman; 02-14-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Understood & Thx!

There is definitely an alchemy of car and track knowledge at play each time out ..

Makes it interesting, 'to say the least' !
Old 02-15-2011, 08:54 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

FYI Car has a factory ZF LSD that was just rebuilt with Guards guts. ( 40% lock up ? )
Old 02-15-2011, 09:59 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread has a little of every reason why I visit Rennlist.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:46 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think, if you're saying that it wasn't the blip on the downshift as VR suggested, that **** just happened. Could you have gotten off the brakes earlier in a very heavy braking zone to have prevented it? who knows but remember, there is A LOT of room there if you blow the corner (that's why they call it the "safety" pin now).
Old 02-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 151 Posts

I noticed the runoff area at 7 is big enough that you could drive a bus off there and not hit anything. I got a few recon laps in the DE group with an instructor before the enduro since I hadn't driven the track and didn't run the warm up. He pointed out to me that it's bumpy in the braking zone going into 7. Unless I was staying left so the leaders could play through, I followed his advice and moved to center as I reached it to avoid the bumps. Hit the ABS several times when track left, didn't when I was in the center or taking a look to the inside.

After watching Rainer's video, it looks like Streak got on the brakes just as he hit the bumps. The quick loading and unloading of the rear helped induce a lock up. Would have probably got away with it in an ABS car.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
I think, if you're saying that it wasn't the blip on the downshift as VR suggested, that **** just happened. Could you have gotten off the brakes earlier in a very heavy braking zone to have prevented it? who knows but remember, there is A LOT of room there if you blow the corner (that's why they call it the "safety" pin now).
Yes, I think my reaction made it worse, getting off the brakes and running down to the old hairpin would probably have been a better course of action.

It could have gone back around the other way making it worse.

Braking in the right place would have helped too . . .

There look to be a few other skid marks following my exact path across the track. Clearly more knowledge of the track would have been good as well.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
FYI Car has a factory ZF LSD that was just rebuilt with Guards guts. ( 40% lock up ? )
You should soften the dampening on your Motons, get a Guard 80/20, adjust your brake bias to the front by 10%, stiffen your front cockpit-adjustable sways one notch, and try it again..
Old 02-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
You should soften the dampening on your Motons, get a Guard 80/20, adjust your brake bias to the front by 10%, stiffen your front cockpit-adjustable sways one notch, and try it again..
All good ideas but all that stuff flew off. No telling where it is . . .
Old 02-15-2011, 03:29 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,509 Likes on 2,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
After watching Rainer's video, it looks like Streak got on the brakes just as he hit the bumps. The quick loading and unloading of the rear helped induce a lock up. Would have probably got away with it in an ABS car.
God it looks like you guys are having a great time! Good sports about the whole thing too.

I disagree with the quote above. It looks like his brake lights come on well before the bump.

I've never driven that track, but what is the right way to brake at that corner with that particular weighted car and HP (let's forget about the torque for a moment here )

1. Brake very late.

2. Brake early then lift of the bump and then brake again

3. Brakes are for sissys and if a 944 can go flat out at that corner, so should others?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pezkopf
I'm guessing I should "Buy it now"
Old 02-15-2011, 08:05 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Streak, did you end up receiving the 1/2 of 26 award ? or was it ruled circumstantial?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Streak, did you end up receiving the 1/2 of 26 award ? or was it ruled circumstantial?
Circumstantial?? I think it was the Boxster's fault for being there!

Seriously though, the sad thing is if the Boxster did indeed finish the race without coming in he could be handed a 13...
Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Yes I did. At first I was a little pissy about it but after seeing the angles and with help from the RL peanut gallery it does appear that the situation could have been avoided by me so just steer clear (get it!) of me for the next 13 months

Quick Reply: Risking an internet beating . . .