Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very seriously thinking about......

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:35 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Very seriously thinking about......

taking my 3.2 Carrera back to E class stock from F prepared.......

The big loss will be the turbo (930) brakes...........

(yes there are a couple other little components allowed in prepared to convert back, but probably not worth much.....)

So, what difference should I expect running stock E and

how should I compensate for it?

Should I also convert over to the so overwhelmingly popular 15" wheels?.......

Thanks......

P.S. If you don't want to divulge your opinion in an open forum, please feel free to PM me.......
Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Gold chains?
Old 02-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I already mentioned the brakes. I would suggest Pagid Black and/or Yellow pads... they transfer less heat to the rotor. I'm using Castrol SRF fluid this year (last year I used Motul 600). You WILL need more than ATE Blue. I'm also using the duel inlet rotor cooling plates. Bleed the brakes every weekend and I rebuild them every other weekend (may be overkill but I'm not willing to risk it).

Hopefully ditching the tail and R&P won't be a huge deal. The chip... you'll probably lose around 25 hp??... Make sure your exhaust/headers are optimized and that you're not leaving hp on the table there.

15" wheels... the million dollar question. Our rev limit (6400) will keep us from extracting the same amount of benefit as the SC guys do but they'll still probably provide a boost. Not only do they still give a "gearing advantage," but their light weight will be a lot easier on our maxed out brakes.

There are not many of us out there racing G50 Carreras (or any Carrera for that matter)... We've got to work together!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:33 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Having had the same car you now have (I changed the brakes before club racing started), I don't think you have much choice if you want to be competitive. Also, I think the wing is worthless - a spoiler will work just as well. That wing may look nice, but those two parachutes on the sides are not helpful.

In the end, the only track I was competitive on was LRP. I never got around to changing the brakes, but wish that I did. I really don't think it's a borderline decision. And make sure you put in Castrol SRF and have excellent ducting. Just my o2c.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

Paolo:
Do it. I ditched my big brakes. Tested the stock brakes at a DE after the switch. I was braking at the same points. Had 16 inch wheels on the car. The motor seemed happier turning the smaller wheels and generally felt like it would spin up quicker. Have some 15s in the garage and will try those out prior to the Glen to see which way is better.

I will have to start thinking more about managing the brakes so as not to cook them and I will be installing ducting to help cool the brakes. Got spoiled with the big brakes. But our 3.2s are just too out gunned running in F against the Boxster S and 964 since right out of the box they have about a 40 HP advantage, plus coilover suspensions and ABS. Our cars are better off in E.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:49 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=BostonDMD;8294890]taking my 3.2 Carrera back to E class stock from F prepared.......

Lose the brakes and the wing and what ever else you need to do to get back to E. Lets face it the best car for that class is a Euro Sc but a few of us old f stock guys did 100.8 on the old LRP track in G 50 Carrera's ten years ago, You can go faster now. You can podium with that E carrera, it is not the optimum car for E old F Stock.

Scotto
Old 02-13-2011, 09:52 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
More gas less brake.

Seriously, the smaller brakes will "talk" to you differently, but it won't make a difference in times. The smaller brake rotors will just warp more easily if you're not careful... but rotors and pads are cheap

Also, a real good engine tune up and a new exhaust kit (not sure what you have down there) would probably make up for the removal of the chip. Going from 7:31 to 8:31 R&P will be more than made up by bolting on smaller rolling diameter wheels/tire combo... running the 275/35/15 tire in the rear is a big +. As Bob said, get better aero in the rear as well.

You'll get good money for 930 brakes, 18 inchers, rear wing, and 7:31 R&P on Pelican. You'll have an incremental investment to make that's for sure, but you'll enjoy the end result. The car will feel livelier (especially upon braking ) and you'll never run out of competition in E. And who knows, maybe PCA will allow 3.2s to run lighter in 2012 and beyond.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by FredC; 02-13-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 05-09-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
More gas less brake.

Seriously, the smaller brakes will "talk" to you differently, but it won't make a difference in times. The smaller brake rotors will just warp more easily if you're not careful... but rotors and pads are cheap

Also, a real good engine tune up and a new exhaust kit (not sure what you have down there) would probably make up for the removal of the chip. Going from 7:31 to 8:31 R&P will be more than made up by bolting on smaller rolling diameter wheels/tire combo... running the 275/35/15 tire in the rear is a big +. As Bob said, get better aero in the rear as well.

You'll get good money for 930 brakes, 18 inchers, rear wing, and 7:31 R&P on Pelican. You'll have an incremental investment to make that's for sure, but you'll enjoy the end result. The car will feel livelier (especially upon braking ) and you'll never run out of competition in E. And who knows, maybe PCA will allow 3.2s to run lighter in 2012 and beyond.

My 2 cents.
Yes.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:03 AM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

top seriously thinking and start actioning....... you know it is the only way to go unless you get another car!!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:18 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for all the inputs......

E class......here I come.......
Old 02-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

And have that muffler made to be a quick release setup like ours so you can run the pre-race DE's at Limerock!
Old 02-13-2011, 11:30 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
And have that muffler made to be a quick release setup like ours so you can run the pre-race DE's at Limerock!
And don't mess around. Bring your car to Dan J.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
And don't mess around. Bring your car to Dan J.
I think that is already all set up...
Old 02-13-2011, 01:49 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, just do it. You already know Fred and I will donate to you a total of four cents.

Quick Reply: Very seriously thinking about......