Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toe Settings: Inches to Degree Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=carreracoupe997;8285562]
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You will find a number of track-only race cars will run a tiny bit of front toe out for better turn in, and a tiny bit of rear toe-in, for stability under high speed braking and trail braking.

VR, yes, and this is what I want but I need to know how much in degrees (total), not fractions because of the alignment machine I have access to.
Did you look at the link I provided?
Old 02-09-2011, 03:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Yes that would be total toe because we are
Measuring to both sides

Originally Posted by carreracoupe997
Mark, was your .1 to .3 degrees total toe? I assume it is but want to make sure.

Last edited by mark kibort; 02-09-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:21 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

Yes, I did look at the charts. Thank you. Confused? Absolutely.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:28 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

It really depends on the car set up and even driver

For example weisach rear ends like slight toe out or 0 toe to help the car rotate. When I recently reset my new racer with o rear toe it behaved like a different car . Certainly worth experimenting with

e
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
You will find a number of track-only race cars will run a tiny bit of front toe out for better turn in, and a tiny bit of rear toe-in, for stability under high speed braking and trail braking.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-09-2011, 03:59 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by carreracoupe997
... what I want but I need to know how much in degrees (total), not fractions because of the alignment machine I have access to.
See above suggestions- reposted below. As VR said, a little toe-out up front, a little toe-in in the rear.

Originally Posted by himself
...run between 0º0' and 0º3' toe-out on each side. ... In the rear, [] between 0º10'-0º15'.
As Mark said, for angle, it doesn't matter if you have 16" or 18" wheels, but linear measures will change based on wheel diameter - that is, moving 2MM won't result in the same toe angle for wheels of different sizes.

-td
Old 02-09-2011, 04:01 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
A couple of things. Your equation should use radius, not diameter. You are measuring the toe at only one end of the wheel or tire and that is relative to the center of the wheel.
Yes, my bad, I should have said Radius not Diameter. Thanks.

Originally Posted by mark kibort
There should be NO disagreement here. It doesnt matter if you have a 40" diameter truck wheel. angle is angle. it will all trig out the same.

the toe result, does depend, but doesnt change, on wheel size as it would change the factor to arrive at the angle.
I agree there should be no disagreement, but there is!! Problem is that when people specify Toe in inches, they also need to include on what size wheel, or the diameter of the tire bulge where it was measured. But people never do that, leaving us to guess at their toe settings. If we all just stated toe in degrees, there'd be no confusion.

As you can see, "toe in inches" is a pet peeve of mine. Kind of like referring to pressure in "lbs."
Old 02-09-2011, 05:53 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Yes, my bad, I should have said Radius not Diameter. Thanks.

I agree there should be no disagreement, but there is!! Problem is that when people specify Toe in inches, they also need to include on what size wheel, or the diameter of the tire bulge where it was measured. But people never do that, leaving us to guess at their toe settings. If we all just stated toe in degrees, there'd be no confusion.

As you can see, "toe in inches" is a pet peeve of mine. Kind of like referring to pressure in "lbs."
good point! I understand now. I never thought used radius for this "rough" direction of toe levels.
wouldnt you measure the front and rear of the tire, thus using diameter? maninly because you are using two consistant points on the rim or tire. using a center and an edge would be difficult to capture, but I get the confusion.
so, yeah, keep it in degrees! figure it out anyway you can operate a ruler and calculator.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:45 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Here is my conversion table. Password is: toe.

-td
Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Here are the setting I've been using...PLEASE give me your thoughts and opinions:

2009 Carrera S. GT3 Cup Lower Control Arms, Sport PASM, 18" CCW wheels, Toyo R888

FRONT
zero toe....did use to run .02 degrees toe out per side
-2.3 degrees Camber per side

REAR
.14 degrees toe in per side
-1.9 degrees cmaber per side
Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarez Mifkin
You're doing too much work. Go here: http://www.smartracingproducts.com/i...ions/index.htm and look at the pdf's under Set up Sheets.

You're welcome.
Thanks, useful stuff in that link!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:51 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Here are the setting I've been using...PLEASE give me your thoughts and opinions:

2009 Carrera S. GT3 Cup Lower Control Arms, Sport PASM, 18" CCW wheels, Toyo R888

FRONT

REAR
Settings are fine, especially if you use the car on the street at all. FWIW, those are almost what I run on the GT3...
-td
Old 02-10-2011, 01:27 AM
carreracoupe997
Racer

Originally Posted by himself
Here is my conversion table. Password is: toe.

-td
Thank you...That is great the way you put in your im size.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:45 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Does the carrera use the weisach rear end ? since it can toe out, under acceleration and turns, maybe this is why you need that much toe in in the rear. thats .3 degrees of toe in. not huge, but i guess if you are a little loosey goosey, its a good way to control that tendancy. so basically 0 toe in front.

Interesting. in 928 world, these dont mean anyting to me, nor would my settings be any benefit to you guys.

Originally Posted by mdrums

FRONT

REAR
Old 02-10-2011, 03:01 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Does the carrera use the weisach rear end ? since it can toe out, under acceleration and turns, maybe this is why you need that much toe in in the rear. thats .3 degrees of toe in. not huge, but i guess if you are a little loosey goosey, its a good way to control that tendancy. so basically 0 toe in front.

Interesting. in 928 world, these dont mean anyting to me, nor would my settings be any benefit to you guys.
Mark,

I find it interesting that you don't eliminate the "Weissach" rear end effect on a full race 928. The Weissach rear end uses a flexible control arm as one of the rear control arms that is designed to deflect and induce toe-in of the outside rear wheel under heavy braking . . . to counteract the tendency of rubber bushed street suspension that would normally cause the wheel to toe OUT under braking. Seems to me that you would have all solid bushings/arms on a full race car, run a bit of toe-in for stability and be done with it. Or am I missing something here?

BTW 993s used a similar arrangement in the rear to the 928 ("kinematic" toe, uses an extra soft bushing instead of the flexy arm) but the 996-997 do not.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:12 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

The slower guys all have "pinned" the Weisach. Mark A, ended up going full race, and didnt notice much of a differnce when changing in that functional regard.

No, no pinning for me. actually, the 928 is dead nuts straight and stable under braking, and had a big push as well as a resistant to rotate the car under heavy trail braking. a little additional toe out vs my original toe in setting, seemed to fixe that issue. now, im quite pleased and probably wouldnt change anything It has a greater ability to rotate the car now, and the exit speeds are faster with the push gone as well. Also added were more splitter and more wing to help in the higher speed corners. 1:36.1 at laguna for a 25 year old street car with 50 extra HP bolted on, and 15 year old bolt on suspension with used tires. (all original everything, bushings, airbox, radiator, brakes, no coolers, vents, no ECU changes, all stock) ask B. Sofranas how my car was handling when he was behind me in his 2006 GT3 race car.

I wondered what happened to the design with the 993s going to the 996-7s. I assumed they kept that design. why did they change? for the reasons you stated. too much flex and slop, especially with all the weight and movemet in the rear of the car. Hey, I do agree that a proper set up would be to put all racing joints in the car. But, just think how long it would take me to find the right settings! I think much of my suspension set up is damped by friction of the bushings and bumpstops (seriously) if I removed it all, I would be lost.

Originally Posted by Droops83
Mark,

I find it interesting that you don't eliminate the "Weissach" rear end effect on a full race 928. The Weissach rear end uses a flexible control arm as one of the rear control arms that is designed to deflect and induce toe-in of the outside rear wheel under heavy braking . . . to counteract the tendency of rubber bushed street suspension that would normally cause the wheel to toe OUT under braking. Seems to me that you would have all solid bushings/arms on a full race car, run a bit of toe-in for stability and be done with it. Or am I missing something here?

BTW 993s used a similar arrangement in the rear to the 928 ("kinematic" toe, uses an extra soft bushing instead of the flexy arm) but the 996-997 do not.

Quick Reply: Toe Settings: Inches to Degree Conversion?