Sponsored by:

LSRPCA Club Race at TWS March 18-20 Registration is open

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:20 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
After dominating SP996 for three races, I parked it in the wall in the fourth sprint. I'm fine, car will need a fair amount of buffing.

All components of the safety system in my car worked perfectly.
Not the best outcome of a fabulous weekend at TWS, but glad you are OK!

Joost
Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Well it's a LOT of buffing.

You missed a hell of a show in E class. Buckley put down a 1:53. I can't do that in a SP996.
Wow. Real fast compared to prior years. Good luck with the fixing.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,650 Likes on 851 Posts

Buckley put down a 1:53. I can't do that in a SP996.

Yes you can.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:52 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Just throwing out a scrap from the weekend, but weather was perfect, except for maybe a record run attempt (props to Jim Buckley) with the stiff head wind down the entire straight.

Anyways, my ride is being fixed from a meeting with a tire wall but I went along with my son Eon (posts here as 87_944S) to support him mechanically for the weekend.

He popped in a 2.00.6xx in an official PCA practice session on Saturday morning and broke the track record for PCA SP2 at TWS by nearly 6 full seconds and record for ANY PCA 944 8V engined car of legal spec by 2 seconds.

Previous SP2 record was Steve Bejenovic, a local guy from Baton Rouge that we know personally who did it in an SP2 weighted trim 2.7 liter 1989 car.

Viking.....you rode with my son Eon a couple of years ago on a check-off when he was mentored by West for the entire three day weekend and I know you had a 944 project car at one time that you might have tried around TWS....?

Wondering what you thought about the 2.00 lap around there....?

We run a PCA legal 1987 944 @ 2648 lbs. (as weighed on site at tech).

Nothing outside tech rules....not even an aftermarket header.

We taped up the front end and took another shot on Sunday morning but the tires were past their prime by then.

For those who were there, it's the white/black/lime green 944Sp2 that was parked outside the back of garage #2.

Just catching up Russell V. and a few others we know from Texas that didn't make it on how our weekend went.

T
Old 03-21-2011, 01:24 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice to meet a couple of you. Sorry Mike to hear about the accident.

Wish someone would have rented me a spec boxster, looked like fun out there. Spec 996 cars look like a lot of fun too.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:25 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike so sorry to hear about this expecially after your great start to the weekend. If comfortable, please explain what happened, what corner, and do you have video of the incident?....

I have my OEM steel hood and fenders all in good condition I think (I'll have to go look), which you can have if you want to pay for cartage, etc. I don't know it's worth the shipping costs as those parts are relatively cheap but they're yours if you want them....
Old 03-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You missed a hell of a show in E class. Buckley put down a 1:53. I can't do that in a SP996.
Hey Globe, nice racing with you and you were putting down some awsome times. I sat that race out and watched you. I hated to see you up there and Im really glad you were OK.

Yes, Buckley is a real shoe. I think hes full throttle for about 60% of the track. Would love to see his data...

Jeff
Old 03-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no Idea how far Im off from any records, probably not even close but I managed to put down a 1:50.2 in Saturday Qualifying on tires with about 9 heat cycles. Times got progressivly slower through the weekend as I racked up cycles on the tires but still very fun weekend for me. I only had one set of tires for the weekend and started driving on them Thursday morning. By the end they felt like roller skates

Jeff
Old 03-21-2011, 01:37 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Hey Mike, sorry to hear the news and see the car first hand.

You were flying all weekend,

T
Old 03-21-2011, 04:04 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

I've got this really bad *** electric buffer ........

And, you can do a 1.53 in a Spec 996 !
Old 03-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,650 Likes on 851 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking

And, you can do a 1.53 in a Spec 996 !
No schit Sherlock
Old 03-21-2011, 04:37 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

A 2.00.6 is a great time for your son, he has come a long way since I last rode with him. I remember Steve B. from racing with him at TWS and No Problem Raceway also years back.

I think an SP1 car should be doing a 2.00 at TWS CCW, I will try to prove that here shortly with my old stock class racer that I am bringing back as a Spec 944, which I believe falls into the rules of SP1.

SP2 rules I believe allow a number of other items like remote shocks,larger wheels,open tire, etc, so if you built a purpose SP2 only car I would guess it to be a 1:57 or so car at TWS CCW. As a matter a fact that may be more fun than running Spec 944, although for us in this area the Spec 944 has more appeal with running in NASA as well as PCA. Of course I could run with your son with a wheel tire change and maybe have a lot of fun. That may be a consideration for me.

FYI - I plan on finishing the rebuild/reclassification of my 944 and racing it a few times and then putting it up for sale. I love the car and class but I just don't have the time to race it/drive it as much as it deserves. I always seem to be testing out and helping sort out an endless supply of other peoples cars, which isn't a horrible thing.

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Just throwing out a scrap from the weekend, but weather was perfect, except for maybe a record run attempt (props to Jim Buckley) with the stiff head wind down the entire straight.

Anyways, my ride is being fixed from a meeting with a tire wall but I went along with my son Eon (posts here as 87_944S) to support him mechanically for the weekend.

He popped in a 2.00.6xx in an official PCA practice session on Saturday morning and broke the track record for PCA SP2 at TWS by nearly 6 full seconds and record for ANY PCA 944 8V engined car of legal spec by 2 seconds.

Previous SP2 record was Steve Bejenovic, a local guy from Baton Rouge that we know personally who did it in an SP2 weighted trim 2.7 liter 1989 car.

Viking.....you rode with my son Eon a couple of years ago on a check-off when he was mentored by West for the entire three day weekend and I know you had a 944 project car at one time that you might have tried around TWS....?

Wondering what you thought about the 2.00 lap around there....?

We run a PCA legal 1987 944 @ 2648 lbs. (as weighed on site at tech).

Nothing outside tech rules....not even an aftermarket header.

We taped up the front end and took another shot on Sunday morning but the tires were past their prime by then.

For those who were there, it's the white/black/lime green 944Sp2 that was parked outside the back of garage #2.

Just catching up Russell V. and a few others we know from Texas that didn't make it on how our weekend went.

T
Old 03-21-2011, 05:37 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by onefastviking
A 2.00.6 is a great time for your son, he has come a long way since I last rode with him. I remember Steve B. from racing with him at TWS and No Problem Raceway also years back.

I think an SP1 car should be doing a 2.00 at TWS CCW, I will try to prove that here shortly with my old stock class racer that I am bringing back as a Spec 944, which I believe falls into the rules of SP1.

SP2 rules I believe allow a number of other items like remote shocks,larger wheels,open tire, etc, so if you built a purpose SP2 only car I would guess it to be a 1:57 or so car at TWS CCW. As a matter a fact that may be more fun than running Spec 944, although for us in this area the Spec 944 has more appeal with running in NASA as well as PCA. Of course I could run with your son with a wheel tire change and maybe have a lot of fun. That may be a consideration for me.

FYI - I plan on finishing the rebuild/reclassification of my 944 and racing it a few times and then putting it up for sale. I love the car and class but I just don't have the time to race it/drive it as much as it deserves. I always seem to be testing out and helping sort out an endless supply of other peoples cars, which isn't a horrible thing.
Thanks.

And yeah, there's plenty to be had under those new SP2 allowances so I guess I should have said; we have a 2010 spec SP2, so no unlimited wheel/tire, wings, DME, etc.

Eon's car is a 2650# 1987 944 with 944T 16" wheels running 225 and 245 G-force r1. Body is completely stock, even the front lower valance, no fiberglass at all. Still has 968 rubber caster blocks and factory rubber a-arm bushings, stock bushings in the rear also. Stock DME, stock chip, no header, stock rear glass deck, factory cam timing sprocket, NA brakes.

Leda non-adjustables valved for the spring choice.

We haven't taken advantage of any of the new 2011 SP2 allowances yet and the only differences to the SP1 classification is the rear coilover which would be no problem returning to torsion bar configuration given the 30+mm bars available vs. the spring rates we run.

I'm currently building an identical sister car for myself.

Hey, if you're interested, I'll PM you when he gets one of his videos up if you want to take a peek (VR - you too if you post back in interest) and see if you note any deficiencies that might help him out.

T
Old 03-21-2011, 08:16 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Thanks.

And yeah, there's plenty to be had under those new SP2 allowances so I guess I should have said; we have a 2010 spec SP2, so no unlimited wheel/tire, wings, DME, etc.

Eon's car is a 2650# 1987 944 with 944T 16" wheels running 225 and 245 G-force r1. Body is completely stock, even the front lower valance, no fiberglass at all. Still has 968 rubber caster blocks and factory rubber a-arm bushings, stock bushings in the rear also. Stock DME, stock chip, no header, stock rear glass deck, factory cam timing sprocket, NA brakes.

Leda non-adjustables valved for the spring choice.

We haven't taken advantage of any of the new 2011 SP2 allowances yet and the only differences to the SP1 classification is the rear coilover which would be no problem returning to torsion bar configuration given the 30+mm bars available vs. the spring rates we run.

I'm currently building an identical sister car for myself.

Hey, if you're interested, I'll PM you when he gets one of his videos up if you want to take a peek (VR - you too if you post back in interest) and see if you note any deficiencies that might help him out.

T

Sure PM me when you get the video, I would love to see how he has progressed.

Just the 16" open tires on the car should be a big improvement over the Spec 944/SP1 rules, although not as good as a set of Moton's would be.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 PM
C4S/GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

---
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: LSRPCA Club Race at TWS March 18-20 Registration is open