Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just how critical is a Corner Balance? - REVISED WITH TOTALS (POST 44)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:41 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Now That's Funny

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
How important is it for a table or chair to have four legs that are equal length? If you like sitting at wobbly tables, then it's not important.

Great Answer!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JClark

If this is the going rate, you might as well spend it twice and buy a set of scales. Cornering is a 1 hr job on a race car.
Jesse, I think you forgot you're posting on RL, not BFC.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Jesse, I think you forgot you're posting on RL, not BFC.
LMAO!! Oh look, Greg made a funny!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-08-2011, 07:28 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You say you have never had a corner balance but your corner weights were close to equal once ? So was it on the scales but just not balanced ?

Originally Posted by himself

And, how many folks out there simply forego the corner balance? I haven't had one done EVER - although my last corner weights were close to equal L/R and ~40F/~60R without any other balancing.

-td
Old 02-08-2011, 07:31 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
How critical is winning, to you?

For DE - well, sorry, but I still think it's important, at least getting it in the ballpark. That's 'cause you're trying to learn how to drive the car... which is a lot easier when the car's consistent and predictable...
It still going to be constant and predictably....... bad that is. (if its way off)

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
As spring rates go up it's more noticeable but I think that most people won't notice that difference. Where it gets more critical is in the lighter cars like formula and such where the percentages are so much bigger.
yep

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I think it's important to note that corner imbalance is a bigger problem as spring rates go up. A truly stock car can have a 1/4" differential and with 200# springs, that's 50 lbs of cross weight. But if you have 800# springs, that 1/4" becomes a 200# cross weight.

And with infinite spring rates, then you are like a chair with a short leg.
good point. even a top driver wont be able to tell a street car with way off corner balance. a race car, hmmmm, possible. I just think that he might be able to tell if it gets better with cornerbalancing.

Originally Posted by Pete
If you're going to put it on the track, corner balance it regardless if its a DE, TT or race.
Why, when there are so many variables that are out of your control. like washing your car during a rain storm. whats the point? (unless it is WAY off)
thats why the advice is to just check it. if you are within 100lbs a corner, go have fun. Now, you are going to a time trial and want that last .25 of a second, then yes, get it dead nuts on. make sure the driver is up to the challenge, and so are the tires, brakes, and 1000 other more important things too!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
You say you have never had a corner balance but your corner weights were close to equal once ? So was it on the scales but just not balanced ?
Right. But just to clarify, the weights at each corner were not equal.

I had it on the scales to get the corner weights, and the L/R was pretty close - well close enough for me. As I recall, with ~1/2 tank of gas and no driver, L/R was just about 1500/1550 [give or take a few lbs] - with a total weight of 3050. Front to Rear was about 1200/1850.

Since I often has passengers and the gas wasn't full, I figured no balancing was needed.

-td

[edit: this was withing a few months after I got the car, so it may have been corner balanced by the previous owner, but I never asked]
Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Its not the left to right that matters most or the front to rear, but the cross weights. what were the diagnols. that is what is important.

Originally Posted by himself
Right. But just to clarify, the weights at each corner were not equal.

I had it on the scales to get the corner weights, and the L/R was pretty close - well close enough for me. As I recall, with ~1/2 tank of gas and no driver, L/R was just about 1500/1550 [give or take a few lbs] - with a total weight of 3050. Front to Rear was about 1200/1850.

Since I often has passengers and the gas wasn't full, I figured no balancing was needed.

-td

[edit: this was withing a few months after I got the car, so it may have been corner balanced by the previous owner, but I never asked]
Old 02-08-2011, 09:13 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Its not the left to right that matters most or the front to rear, but the cross weights. what were the diagnols. that is what is important.
I tried to find my notes, but I've moved since then and everything is missing. The only thing I found was a total weight with ~3/4 tank of gas @ 3100 lbs, which doesn't really help.

What should the diagonals be?

Something I neglected mention, the corner weights were for my previous stock setup and not the stiff springs. Which is the main reason I asked the question about how critical a corner balance is.

-td
Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,315 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Why, when there are so many variables that are out of your control. like washing your car during a rain storm. whats the point? (unless it is WAY off)
thats why the advice is to just check it. if you are within 100lbs a corner, go have fun. Now, you are going to a time trial and want that last .25 of a second, then yes, get it dead nuts on. make sure the driver is up to the challenge, and so are the tires, brakes, and 1000 other more important things too!
Because it's a something that you can easily do and know about, otherwise your chasing the other things to set up a car properly. Especially on a car like a 996 GT3 and particularly after a spring and shock revalve. Having owned a 6-GT3 I could tell the difference before and after the corner balance. It's one of the first things I've always done from karts to cars.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

TD, as I said.....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

^yeah. It's getting done next week. After all the comments, I couldn't really justify not doing it.

-td
Old 02-08-2011, 11:20 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow I guess I should go check my cross weights. I balanced my 6-cup, but never this lightweight 996 and I'm almost as fast as my cup, almost. I just set ride height (90/105) with new springs (900/1100 from 700/900) so maybe I'll put it on the scales tomorrow. Year's opening race this weekend at WS....
Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Alright, now I have a stupid question*: At the track one weekend I raised the front ride height 1/2" due to tire rubbing issues. (both LF and RF equally 1/2")

Assuming I had exactly a 40/60 front-to-rear split before, does raising front change the front number higher (up from 40) or lower (down from 40)? That is, am I getting more weight on the front (e.g. 42/58) or less (38/62)?

-td

[*my dad used to say, there are NO stupid questions, just stupid people trying to ask good ones.]
Old 02-09-2011, 12:15 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Interestingly no it does not shift the weight measurably. That's why you focus in cross weights typically. To change the front to rear or side to side you actually have to move weight in the car by shifting ballast...

And as mentioned corner balancing does not have to change height measurably. Think of it this way, stand evenly on both feet, then push down slightly with one foot. You can dramatically change pressure (weight) without height...

A jacked chassis can lead to some irregular handling and different turn in left to right which you may not think is an issue with the car but assume it is a tendency of the track...
Old 02-09-2011, 01:06 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Wow I guess I should go check my cross weights. I balanced my 6-cup, but never this lightweight 996 and I'm almost as fast as my cup, almost.
HA! I love it!! One of the fastest guys on the forum has never corner balanced his race car!!

TD, please post up your before and after corner/cross weights.

Quick Reply: Just how critical is a Corner Balance? - REVISED WITH TOTALS (POST 44)