Sponsored by:

Tires..R1-R6-Hankook???

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:00 AM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
I've used nothing but Hoosiers in the past tire, and in my opinion they are best. BUT!!!!!!!! If I were you, I think I would buy another set of R1's. They worked well for you, and if you carry the 3 good old ones with you, if you should cord another one, either front or rear, you have spares. you can drive on an old one with good tread even if it has 30 cycles. But you CAN'T drive on a corded tire, even for a couple of laps. Buying the same tire and using the old ones for spares could keep you going to finish a weekend.

Bill
This is a good idea.....both the front tires showed more wear (I didn't rotate them as much as I should have).....and of course one is corded....both rears look great...which makes sense I don't have the power to slide them around at 200whp....

I can get 4 delivered and installed for under $1k...then I have 2 really good spares and 1 so so spare.....
Old 02-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 865 Posts

Here is my take, for what it is worth. The R1's are much better tires than folks give them credit for, especially for their first 5-10 cycles. They do fall off a bit, but hell, even on 28 cycles, they are pretty damn fast. The Hankook Z215's (C51 compound) are excellent tires that are ery relatively affordable right now at Tire Rack, and are at least as grippy as the R6's, with great life & long-term griip characteristics.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 02-07-2011, 06:50 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Here is my take, for what it is worth. The R1's are much better tires than folks give them credit for, especially for their first 5-10 cycles. They do fall off a bit, but hell, even on 28 cycles, they are pretty damn fast. The Hankook Z215's (C51 compound) are excellent tires that are ery relatively affordable right now at Tire Rack, and are at least as grippy as the R6's, with great life & long-term griip characteristics.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
My friend that gets only 8 cycles out of the Kooks is running fairly small tires (225's) in his LS powered Miata that is VERY fast.....so I understand why it would be hard on tires...

Quick Reply: Tires..R1-R6-Hankook???