Sponsored by:

Engine rebuild recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:18 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rebuild recommendations

After a 2010 that had a cracked cylinder in the 997, which Porsche replaced, followed by getting rear ended by an idiot in a 750, 2011 is starting off the same

The tech inspection for this weekend's DE found a broken head stud in the track car. So I have a rebuild in my future. The question is what should I do While I have the engine out. It's an '87 targa. It was raced in E-class and has a log book so I would want to keep it legal.

The obvious ones are replace all the other studs, clutch and the oil lines that are starting to crack. What else should be done while I have it apart?
Old 02-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The same thing happened to me last year. I didn't have the $12,000 spare cash for a rebuild, so I just had the head stud replaced. All told it cost about $2000.

So, although one might argue to go ahead and rebuild "while you're in there," you don't have to... especially if your motor is currently making good power.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:47 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

That is some DE Tech inspection!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
That is some DE Tech inspection!
I'm guessing it was not of the "free" variety.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Full diagnostic (filter check, leak down, etc), then you'll have the info to decide how deep you should go at this time.

Time to upgrade studs (if allowed by the rules).
Old 02-10-2011, 02:45 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Actually the inspection was of the free variety. My shop does it for their customers. It was obvious there was a problem when they put it on the lift and saw oil on an engine that hadn't leaked a drop of oil since I bought it about 2 years ago.

Then the tech drove it past the owner and myself and stepped on it and you could hear the combustion outside the head.

When I got home that night I noticed some oil in the garage where it had been parked. It hadn't been driven since the Dec DE and hand't been driven for a month before that so I'm pretty sure it went that weekend at the track.

Paul
Old 02-10-2011, 04:16 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I would go back to the previous owner and insist on reimbursement Sorry to hear about that Paul.

One thing to consider is taking off the 930 brakes. That car is not as competitive in F as it used to be. You'd be better off racing in E. Just ask Paolo.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:15 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Originally Posted by bauerjab
I would go back to the previous owner and insist on reimbursement Sorry to hear about that Paul.

One thing to consider is taking off the 930 brakes. That car is not as competitive in F as it used to be. You'd be better off racing in E. Just ask Paolo.
Nah, I got a good deal on it to begin with. I had factored in the possibility of a top end rebuild when I bought it.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

John is 100 spot on. 3.2s are not as competitive running up a class as they used to be. Pull off the 930 brakes and sell them. I dumped the big brakes on my 3.2 and will run in E this year. The money you will get (a nice amount) can go towards repairs and stock Carrera brakes. You too Paolo

Whatever you do, keep it stock. I feel like I increased the value of my car by putting stock brakes on it.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera51
John is 100 spot on. 3.2s are not as competitive running up a class as they used to be. Pull off the 930 brakes and sell them. I dumped the big brakes on my 3.2 and will run in E this year. The money you will get (a nice amount) can go towards repairs and stock Carrera brakes. You too Paolo

Whatever you do, keep it stock. I feel like I increased the value of my car by putting stock brakes on it.
Paolo's mods are a bit more extensive than brakes, chip, and winged tail IIRC. I agree with you Mark, unless the Carerra is built to the max allowable including a top notch, fresh engine it just won't run up front in F. I also know Palmer is "back building" his F car to run in E this year for the same reasons. You can get good money for the 930 calipers in good condition, should pay for brand new Carerra calipers, pads, and have cash left for a Hoosier!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I agree with you Mark, unless the Carerra is built to the max allowable including a top notch, fresh engine it just won't run up front in F.
Problem is, it likely won't run in the front of E either.

HOWEVER, there is another red Carrera out there that has been VERY fast lately (as in, Euro SC fast)... It's inspiring!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:27 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

And what about that newly painted white car that is running training wheels in the rear that is now in E...
Old 02-11-2011, 12:42 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

First, My next race will be my first. My goals are not to cause any trouble, stay out of anyone else's trouble and learn something. We have a way to go before I worry about being competitive.

I like my big brakes. They work great after I rebuilt them. There are a few turns at TWS I'm glad I have them.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bauerjab
And what about that newly painted white car that is running training wheels in the rear that is now in E...
That is now a Euro SC, so running good HP and light weight. A tough combo to beat and then toss Fred into the mix...

Scott B. (Good Hands) has done quite well in his 87(?) Carerra.....
Old 02-11-2011, 01:23 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Problem is, it likely won't run in the front of E either.

HOWEVER, there is another red Carrera out there that has been VERY fast lately (as in, Euro SC fast)... It's inspiring!
Mike McNemanin is real fast and a solid racer. His car is real nice too. Mike told me that his car is powered by a top-shelf engine build from none other than Autometrics. He's bringing a gun to a gun fight type of thing. There aren't a lot of 3.2 based E cars as good as his out there and he drives the wheels off of it.

This being said, I still believe that a Euro SC is the best platform for E, certainly better than a US-SC based E-prepared. The relatively low weight is a big +. I can't wait to see the time delta at the Glen this year...

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild recommendations