Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:54 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Robert Kubica

Bad Crash....

Looks like he's out of F1 for the season. I'm glad it wasn't worse. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89316

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...-crash/?src=mv

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7150DZ20110206
Old 02-08-2011, 12:30 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

He may have been getting blood as he was losing more, otherwise that much blood loss would not be compatible with survival.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:39 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That's terrible news. Hope he gets better soon.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:46 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by MM-Racing
the point is that this steel barier went through a car across. They are lucky they are alive. Robert was in critiacl condition. He lost 4-6 liters of blood. The surgery was done localy because he was unable to be transported.
Kuba is back in Poland, Robert is a little better now. Drs are going to do further surgeries in order to get recovery... Now we should wait...and the Drs do adequence steps of recovery.
Robert be back...we all hope
I think the info you have is incorrect. 4-6 liters of blood is a tremendous amount. Second he has not been transported to Poland. THere is no way he would be able to be moved in the condition he was in. Kubica will be in Italy for the next several weeks and is set for another 2 surgeries....

Kubica set for two more operations
8 February 2011
Lotus Renault GP has released a Tuesday afternoon update on the condition of Robert Kubica, who will be remaining in Italy’s Santa Corona Hospital for up to three weeks as two more operations take place following initial seven-hour surgery after his freak rally car accident on Sunday morning.

Lotus Renault GP’s Tuesday afternoon statement reads as follows:

‘Today, Robert’s general condition has once again improved. According to the doctors, the levels of inflammation are in the norm considering his medical condition, and the recovery of his forearm remains encouraging.

This rear angle shows how much worse the accident's outcome could have beenYesterday, Robert was able to talk to his doctors and relatives. His medication makes him sleep quite a lot, but he is responding to all external stimulation. He has reacted well to the news about his condition and is ready to fight for his comeback.

On Thursday, Robert should undergo some more surgery in order to stabilise the fractures to his right shoulder and right foot. Three or four days later, another operation will allow his elbow fracture to be stabilised as well.

Robert will remain at the Santa Corona Hospital for two to three weeks. A decision will then be taken about where he should go in order to continue his rehabilitation.’
Old 02-08-2011, 11:15 AM
MM-Racing
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete, read with understanding! Kuba...Gerber, Robert's co-driver is in Poland. Robert is still in hospital in Italy.
He lost blood in the place of the accident and in hospital. He had internal blooding. For first few hours drs fighted for live, not for leg or hand.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 AM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just amazing....

"Robert Kubica’s Sunday rally accident has left the Pole in an Italian hospital, in need of at least three operations and most likely out of the entire 2011 Formula 1 season. This computer simulation demonstrates how the Skoda Fabia was impaled by a metal roadside barrier."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8GUwybi5k
Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TwentySix
Just amazing....

"Robert Kubica’s Sunday rally accident has left the Pole in an Italian hospital, in need of at least three operations and most likely out of the entire 2011 Formula 1 season. This computer simulation demonstrates how the Skoda Fabia was impaled by a metal roadside barrier."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE8GUwybi5k
Wow if this simulation is accurate Robert is lucky to be alive. In inch here or an inch there and that guard rail would a split him in two. This accident reminds me of an accident that happened back in 1981 when Montreal Canadiens hockey legend Guy Lafleur was involved in a car accident. While driving home on March 24, 1981, Lafleur fell asleep at the wheel of his Cadillac and crashed into a highway fence. He was nearly decapitated when a metal post pierced the windshield missing his head by inches while tearing off part of his ear. Of course the circumstances are radically different. Kubucia is a professional race car driver who crashed in an official rally race while Lafleur was just complacent (possibly even drunk though I have no evidence to prove this) driving home late at night. The only similarity is that a road side object penetrated both vehicles and came ever so close to impaling both drivers.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:19 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
As an Orthopedic Hand Surgeon I'm very skeptical about his outcome. Unfortunately hand crush injuries are devastating, and their outcome unreliable at best. And it has nothing to do with physical conditioning, or fortitude of character. It's just the way the body heals. I'd love to be proven wrong in this instance, but he's got a LONG road to recovery ahead of him, and he might never be the same driver again. Godspeed!
My thoughts exactly....It is hard to believe that he can go back doing what he is real good at, I hope I am wrong.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

the only reason Kubica will not race again will be physical incapability. Watch the crash in Canada a few years ago, see him back 2 races later and you know instantly he has no fear.

He is one of my favs. «i hope he comes back.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:41 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+1... hope he can return.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:44 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
the only reason Kubica will not race again will be physical incapability. Watch the crash in Canada a few years ago, see him back 2 races later and you know instantly he has no fear.

He is one of my favs. «i hope he comes back.
Let's not forget that he won his next outing at that fateful track too. Amazing driver, and for sure a champion contender if he makes it back to the sport.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:18 PM
micahbones
Racer

Onboard video from a pair who started shortly after Kubica on the stage, you can see Robert's uninjured co-driver Jakub Gerber running toward the car and urgently motioning for a cell phone, chilling:

Kubica crash Rally Andora follow car

Last edited by micahbones; 02-08-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What an unforgiving course - like the Isle of Man, except they don't race cars there anymore. Lots of pointy, immobile obects to run into! Still, a very freak incident in this case with the gaurdrail. Very sad to see. Makes a good case for reiforcing the floorboard/lower firewall area.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:20 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Roberts a lucky bwoy ... very ...................
Old 02-10-2011, 12:18 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Don't underestimate a handicapped man or the healing power of God.....God Bless Robert Kubica and I pray he gets to do what he want to do in life....be it racing or whatever.

Quick Reply: Kubica hurt in rally crash