Sponsored by:

Huschke von Hanstein

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Huschke von Hanstein

I was just watching my Tivo of the Mille Miglia and saw a picture of the 1940 Mille Miglia winner Huschke von Hanstein with an SS emblem on his drivers suit. I knew Ferdinand Porsche was called Hitler's Engineer, but didn't know von Hanstein belonged to the SS.

Also, I thought that the only non-Italians to win the Mille Miglia were Rudolf Caraciolla, and Stirling Moss. But the video I was watching said that von Hanstein and some other German dude won in 1940.

Bill Seifert
Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 764 Likes on 387 Posts

Google is your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mille_Miglia

Scott
Old 01-25-2011, 12:21 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets see.. its Germany in 1940.. and you want to live.. so.. what really are your choices, especially when your "sponsor" is the state?
Old 01-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

The German people's lives were not in any danger, especially the nobility as von Hanstein was. Now if you were Jewish, that was a different story.

Caraciolla lived in Switzerland, and when asked by the ***** why he did not live in Germany, he said "because I want to live in Switzerland". They didn't bother him. So I doubt von Hanstein joined the SS because his life was in danger.

Winders- you are correct. As a matter of fact Huschke's license plate number was SS-333. I wonder if Idaho will give me the number DEM, REP or TEA-P 666

Before anyone gets hacked over that, it is just a joke.

Bill

Bill
Old 01-25-2011, 03:10 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 764 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
The German people's lives were not in any danger, especially the nobility as von Hanstein was. Now if you were Jewish, that was a different story.

Caraciolla lived in Switzerland, and when asked by the ***** why he did not live in Germany, he said "because I want to live in Switzerland". They didn't bother him. So I doubt von Hanstein joined the SS because his life was in danger.
Bill,

Did you live in Germany during this time? Do you have family members that did? If not, you have no idea was in danger and who was not. German Nobility were not typically in the SS. If they were, it was typically for political (read "not much choice") reasons.

Scott
Old 01-25-2011, 07:22 PM
911S3.6
Pro

Von Hanstein was a Baron only in title.
The family castle, property etc were all confiscated.
The guy had style and class, but no money.
And he obviously, was no fool either.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Scott,

No, my family left Germany before WWI. So you are right that I don't know what the dangers were other than what I read or see on documentaries. But, I do watch a lot of stuff on the History Channel, and according to what I watch, the danger was for Jews, Communists and homosexuals, not the ordinary German people. That last one is weird, in that a lot of ***** were gay. Of course then as now a lot of the loudest anti-gay people are often outed as gay.

By the way, I saw in a book at the Holocaust Museum in DC, that there was a Maj Seifert that was a doctor at Auschwitz. (No relation, I guess.) But a great-great-great uncle on the other side of my family was an overseer on a Plantation in Lincoln County , Tennessee before The Civil War. That relationship is documented, though the number of "greats" is probably off. Weird world, ain't it?

911S3.6- He may have been a Baron in title only, but belonging to the SS made him at least a fool. He may have had style and class, but belonging to the SS was wrong, no matter how you look at it. Of course being an overseer was wrong too, as was being a supporter of slavery.

Bill
Old 01-25-2011, 10:25 PM
racer
Drifting

Hey, if the SS won, they would have written history and not being on their side would have made you "wrong".. ok, is this horse dead yet?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Was this the 2008 1000 Miglia?
I just saw the documentary. Looks like a fun event.
Was it run again in 2010?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:47 PM
kfyork
Advanced

Ask Dan and Evi Gurney what they think of the Baron...

Also, see here for more on the topic, ad nauseam
Old 01-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

racer

If the SS had won, we wouldn't be discussing it.

If you are tired of the subject, quit clicking on the thread. Which, by the way, is what I am going to do.

Quick Reply: Huschke von Hanstein