Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pat Long In JLowe 911 @ Monticello

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011 | 03:37 PM
Cheyenne
Instructor

Originally Posted by JClark
It technical and a great place to learn (I was there to instruct and the track has all the right corners to teach skills on), but laps felt tedious, not exciting.
Lapping should feel tedious. It's work. Are you doing it to learn to go faster, or to get thrills risking your car and body?

Racing can be exciting, it's direct competition...but anything less than that is just training for that. (IMHO).

But maybe I am just not understanding something, so can you describe the excitement part?

I hope I don't sound rude here...I suspect I just enjoy a different aspect of learning to go fast than most do.
Old 01-23-2011 | 03:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I have never been to Monticello....but it'd be fun to learn & drive!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 01-23-2011 | 05:08 PM
JClark
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Lapping should feel tedious. It's work. Are you doing it to learn to go faster, or to get thrills risking your car and body?

Racing can be exciting, it's direct competition...but anything less than that is just training for that. (IMHO).

But maybe I am just not understanding something, so can you describe the excitement part?

I hope I don't sound rude here...I suspect I just enjoy a different aspect of learning to go fast than most do.

Thrills, clearly. (Rennlist disclaimer: that's partially sarcasm, settle down everyone). I disagree with you that lapping should be tedious.

I did drive the track and I did learn it but I didnt find it terribly exciting. What's wrong with that? There just aren't any corners I find particularly satisfying or fun. My comment was just that a Cup car must make the place seem even smaller and slower. I didnt intend for this to be a Monticello bashing contest either, just making an observation of the car's speed.

I enjoy learning to go fast because its the pursuit of a technical skill, a honing of a craft. But I'd rather it'd be fun while doing it.
Old 01-23-2011 | 05:29 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

It also looked like there were some variations to the track that we couldn't see?
Old 01-23-2011 | 05:46 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

VR... you would enjoy the track. It is like driving on a high speed autocross course. Tough on tires, but a riot... especially flick flack...

Last edited by CWhaley; 01-23-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2011 | 06:24 PM
Cheyenne
Instructor

I did drive the track and I did learn it but I didnt find it terribly exciting. What's wrong with that?
Nothing! I just wanted to get a deeper look at your opinion, so thank you for responding.

There just aren't any corners I find particularly satisfying or fun.
What makes a corner satisfying or fun for you? Again, I just am looking for your opinion, ultimately to learn more about my own opinions.

But I'd rather it'd be fun while doing it.
Agreed, it should be...I'm just a big nerd, so for me, doing tedious work to hone skills is just as fun as pushing it I guess. Hmmm...no nerd emoticon here.
Old 01-23-2011 | 08:25 PM
JClark
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cheyenne
What makes a corner satisfying or fun for you? Again, I just am looking for your opinion, ultimately to learn more about my own opinions.
Anything high speed where you're riding a knife edge, seconds from a fiery death. I guess what's commonly referred to as "***** corners," anything where you can help but yell YEEHAWW when you clip the exit curb and are still on the track. Any turn where you've heard some guy try to brag that they went through there flat and everyone goes "nuh uh no way." Those are my favorites.
Old 01-23-2011 | 08:42 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Is that normal for 5th? to sing like that?

Quick Reply: Pat Long In JLowe 911 @ Monticello