url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cc1paanJaQ[/url]
Old 01-21-2011 | 07:23 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Wow really jams those gears.
Old 01-21-2011 | 07:33 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Some unusual wheel work on the out-lap that he didn't repeat on the other laps. Getting a feel for the car or warming the front tires?

Anyway... Damn! Makes me look like a one-legged turtle.
Old 01-21-2011 | 07:43 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I was about to say that, I think he was dealing with the understeer that comes with cold slicks. It usually works to unwind the wheel some and turn in again, but I've never seen someone do it that many times that fast to counter the understeer. Sure makes me want to try it though.
Old 01-21-2011 | 08:46 PM
Cheyenne
Instructor

Originally Posted by wanna911
I was about to say that, I think he was dealing with the understeer that comes with cold slicks. It usually works to unwind the wheel some and turn in again, but I've never seen someone do it that many times that fast to counter the understeer. Sure makes me want to try it though.
I was just talking about doing that in another thread. Works in slippery conditions, or when you don't want to lift for whatever reason.

Same technique you use to fix oversteer right? Why not understeer too?
Old 01-21-2011 | 09:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanna911

Pretty common, actually, to get heat into the fronts on what looks like a cool day....and also serves to quickly allow him to see how prone the car is to snap oversteer. You'll also note he was dealing with some brake bias issues: he changes bias pretty noticeably at around 1:50.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 01-21-2011 | 09:13 PM
JClark
Instructor

First proper Monticello vid I've seen. It's frustratingly rinky-dink, must be downright painful in something that fast.

Edit: Yellow LFA ~4:40!
Old 01-21-2011 | 09:56 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JClark
First proper Monticello vid I've seen. It's frustratingly rinky-dink, must be downright painful in something that fast.
Designed to keep the members safe. Still a very nice facility and fun track regardless of the lack of "big" corners.

Like the video.
Old 01-22-2011 | 07:43 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Assume that it's a cold morning and neither the slicks or the gearbox were up to temp, but he sure did seem to be smashing that 'box on the way down!
Old 01-22-2011 | 10:52 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

That 1st lap is all about getting the the car and tires up to temp. In a pro-race coming out of the pits on cold tires you must have exceptional talent to push the car as hard as possible. Very few can do it like Patrick.

I 1st met him when he was 19 driving his first Daytona 24 for TRG.

Not many with his ability, and just a great humble guy.
Old 01-22-2011 | 11:26 AM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Monticello is a member oriented track design but it still has some very fast corners.
Old 01-22-2011 | 10:17 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JClark
You really think that it's rinky-dink? I thought it was a great track with a lot of interesting and technically challening turn combinations. I could see it taking some time to feel like you were really getting the most out of it.

Originally Posted by Ron Cohn
Monticello is a member oriented track design but it still has some very fast corners.
Hey Ron, not sure if any of this was directed at my response but to the extent that it was, my comment was not about lack of fast corners but more that part of the design brief was to minimize risk to members. Hence, all the long straights are followed by slow corners (T1, T4/5, T13/14). T17 is the real "big" corner and it certainly induces some pucker. It's also the corner where you can clearly see Patick working his way up to a small lift.

It would've been great to hear his debrief on this track as he seems to choose to roll through some corners while in others he seems more willing to generate oversteer. Goes without saying that he'd get big oversteer on T1 and roll into T13, but he seems to generate a lot more oversteer in 5,6,7 and 2, 3 on his two hot laps but prefer to roll 9,10,11, and 12. Not sure if it's by design or just the way the laps unfolded but I suspect with Patrick it's almost always by design in a non-race setting. Of course just as likely that all my observations are completely off.
Old 01-22-2011 | 11:54 PM
jenk12m
Banned

I had to rewind to see that LFA again
Old 01-23-2011 | 09:08 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Much to be learned. His corner entry is different than mine on a few turns (3-5)(9-12) and what a beautiful machine. I hope to get a chance drive there again to work on my line and corner exit.

Last edited by Gofishracing; 01-23-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2011 | 02:52 PM
JClark
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nizer
You really think that it's rinky-dink? I thought it was a great track with a lot of interesting and technically challening turn combinations. I could see it taking some time to feel like you were really getting the most out of it.
Just because of the reason you mentioned, it's designed to keep members and their cars safe. There is only one real intense corner that got my blood flowing, but it funnels down into the sharpest, slowest 2nd gear corner I've ever been through. It technical and a great place to learn (I was there to instruct and the track has all the right corners to teach skills on), but laps felt tedious, not exciting. Just my $.02. My comment was more about the speed of cup cars on a tight track like that. I'd be dying for Road Atl, VIR, WGI, Mosport, etc to really show its strengths.

Quick Reply: Pat Long In JLowe 911 @ Monticello