Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motec datalogger / camera question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011 | 02:00 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Default Motec datalogger / camera question?

Is there a cheaper alternative to the Motec video system that can be married up to one of their dataloggers which also has video overlay and auto start / stop functions? The Motec version is pretty expensive and from what I've seen doesn't justify the cost based on the resolution.

Would the Chasecam Diva be a good alternative?

http://www.chasecam.com/DIVA
Old 01-20-2011 | 03:37 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Certainly cheaper. But better or as good? Depends on the definition of success.

I might ping the folks at Gorman Motorsport here in NorCal. Or perhaps go one step further in terms of experience with multiple pro products and speak to Veracity Racing Data, also here in California. You might be surprised at their network of pro customers. Dave and Ellen at Veracity are, well, professionals. And they are racers too.

Or better yet, ping their equivalents down under if they exist.

I'd run AIM if I had this stuff in my race car. Or Motec. Other stuff like the Trackmate/Chasecam can be fine, but what something is worth depends on what you compare it to.
Old 01-20-2011 | 05:52 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the contacts.

For me I just want something that provides better quality than my HD handycam but can link up with my SDL. Even though I've got the software for overlay, it would be more convenient to just have it do it automatically. Plus the auto on/off feature would be a bonus. Guess I'm just repeating myself. Hopefully someone will know categorically and point me at that product.
Old 01-20-2011 | 09:03 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

You can connect an AIM David system to MoTeC as it has the CAN templates. The good thing about the MoTeC video system is that it allows you to open a video window in the analysis software and show it along with the data. The is the power of the system and it works great if you really want to use data analysis to improve driving or analyze chassis setup.

If all you want is to show video with a gauge cluster on it, there are much less expensive and better resolution solutions out there.
Old 01-20-2011 | 09:16 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Patrick

The AIM Smarty Cam with an ECU bridge can add data like RPM, TPS but can not add brake pressure because that does not go through the ECU. Depending on which ECU you have, you may be able to get brake on/off data. The camera will generate lat and long G's, GPS speed, lap number and lap times. It has auto on/off.
Old 01-20-2011 | 12:51 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you set up a MoTeC with the basic ChaseCam you can also open the video in i2Pro. It does not overlay the data into the video though, that has to be done in post-processing (I use TrackView).

I know the Gorman brothers have set up a number of MoTeC to chasecam or other video systems and think they would be worth a call/email. I'm considering a change from ChaseCam to Diva and was going to have them do it for me.
Old 01-20-2011 | 01:12 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Subscribed. I have an ADL and Chasecam dual cam in my car. I have done the manual sync on I2Pro but would prefer the auto option for quick review between sessions (not going through Trackview).
Old 01-20-2011 | 01:18 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amso3
Patrick

The AIM Smarty Cam with an ECU bridge can add data like RPM, TPS but can not add brake pressure because that does not go through the ECU. Depending on which ECU you have, you may be able to get brake on/off data. The camera will generate lat and long G's, GPS speed, lap number and lap times. It has auto on/off.
Jerry,

are there any solutions to extract throttle and lat/long Gs into a time graph to be reviewed later? is there any intermediate recorder that could be used in between of smartycam and ECU bridge OR why exactly smartycam folks cannot write a parallel text file with sensor`s data into same card so it could later be imported into Excel and to be worked with?
Can it be addressed in a possible firmware fix? smartycam is essentially a Linux box as I understand so it should be quite an easy thing to do - i mean to write a text file together with video file writing as it takes close to 0 resources to do.
Old 01-20-2011 | 10:19 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Thanks guys for the recommendations. 333pg333 PM or call us and we can help. Typically it's good to back up and get a handle on your goals from the video system the figure a route from there. There are lots of things to consider like pre vs post processing, what channels of data you capture and how, if you want overlays, do you want video to share or use for analysis? All these things play into the decisions.. http://www.gormanms.com/contact

Dave and Ellen are also very good folks so if you don't use us then use them!!
Old 01-21-2011 | 05:15 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Our team 6th Gear Racing have the same question, we have a 10 Cup #88 running the full season in the Patron series and we were thinking of going with the Racelogic Vbox lite or getting the Motec.

We need some data overlay with the video, brake, tps, rpm at a minimum.

What does it cost to get the Motec video?

Need to have this sorted in the next 2 weeks, we are testing at Sebring in Feb.
Old 01-21-2011 | 09:26 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

The AIM David will NOT bridge to the MoTec in a 997 Cup. Call Aim, have a long talk with them and you will see this. Unfortunately, I think the best thing out there right now with a full data overlay on the video is through Motec.

The Aim Smarty Cam is decent but for some reason the video is not very good in the Cup car setting. I know several guys with it in their cars (including me) and it's just not that good....

Actually, watching Patrick Long's video in the hybrid and seeing that data overlay made me look up Video Vbox. I'm calling them today....

http://www.videovbox.co.uk/
Old 01-21-2011 | 01:20 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

A VCS with a 2010 wire harness to adapt to the existing CAN line in the car and complete the video sync (required until later this year when SYNC will be done over CAN) is about $6500 for the 16GB card version.

Quick Reply: Motec datalogger / camera question?