Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW TO TAKE 2 SECONDS OFF YOUR FASTEST LAP TIME!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011 | 11:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yup, Dez, you really did have some bad luck that weekend.

The thing I am most proud of Tom Kerr and his friend for is that they both did their personal bests in races, not on an open track day or even in qualifying. They got it done in (separate) races, which is much more difficult for most folks. That is not just a driving skill improvement, it is a significant RACING skill improvement for both. In fact, Tom's friend placed first among all PBOC racers in his race group the day he did his personal best! And Tom podiumed each of his races!

In the future, we will work on taking more time off, and also on kicking butt in qualifying...

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 01-19-2011 | 01:22 AM
jenk12m
Banned

I'm another one who has the pleasure of having Dave in the right seat along with Seth thomas. It's the best mods you could ever spend
Old 01-19-2011 | 09:02 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jenk12m
I'm another one who has the pleasure of having Dave in the right seat along with Seth thomas. It's the best mods you could ever spend

Hey, Mike, are you planning to drive at the PBOC event at Road Atlanta the end of February? I am trying to put together a trip there for that.....

Old 01-19-2011 | 11:32 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I concur wholeheartedly with what others have said about hiring a driving coach. I just spent some time with VR at Sebring and Seth T. at RA last year.

I think they both benefited from my insight and suggestions.
Old 01-19-2011 | 11:54 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
I concur wholeheartedly with what others have said about hiring a driving coach. I just spent some time with VR at Sebring and Seth T. at RA last year.

Thanks to your insight I met the chief instructor of the PCA school up close

Anyone that is interested in coaching this year please contact me so we can get started finding some dates that work for both of us. The earlier in the season we can get a date booked the better driver you will be for the remainder of the year.

My email address is seth@seththomas.net
Old 01-19-2011 | 11:59 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4

LOL

Old 01-19-2011 | 11:33 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Dave,

What kind of info do coaches like to see in data Aq systems? Steering angles, brakes on/of, throttle position...... the options out there are daunting.
Old 01-19-2011 | 11:36 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Dave,

Who is best to coach or when is the best time to hire one? After a few years of racing so the client understands terminology and understands some race craft? Old timer with lots of bad habits for you to correct? Total rookie who can be molded in your image? Guy who is faster in his head than he is in reality?
Old 01-19-2011 | 11:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Dave,

What kind of info do coaches like to see in data Aq systems? Steering angles, brakes on/of, throttle position...... the options out there are daunting.

To me, those + velocity over distance are the best to start with, just to get to a level playing field regarding where many drivers fool themselves before seeing their data. Even without actual sensors, a GPS based system like TraqMate and others can provide track mapping with brake & accel zones, longitudinal G's (shows accel, coasting, and brake), lateral G's (approximates what is going on with the steering wheel), velocity over distance, and longitudinal G's over time, all accurate within a couple tenths at worst compared with a transponder based system. The ability to overlay different laps & drivers, and do time gaps and segment analyses is very valuable. But ideally, I'd love to see throttle & brake position, brake pressure, steering angle, lat & long G's, vehicle speed over distance, throttle and brake position over distance & over time, gear, and RPM's, if this onformation is available. All with track maps, obviously!

Old 01-19-2011 | 11:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Dave,

Who is best to coach or when is the best time to hire one? After a few years of racing so the client understands terminology and understands some race craft? Old timer with lots of bad habits for you to correct? Total rookie who can be molded in your image? Guy who is faster in his head than he is in reality?
Yup.

(minus the 'your image' part...that's not really my ego bag personally, although I know that does motivate some other coaches' egos out there; I want to get a driver to where they are noticeably faster, are scaring themselves and others less, are doing a lot less work and guiding the car where it already wants to go so that it does more of the work, and where they have a reasonable shot at being competitive when they race, even if they drive very differently than I do)

Old 01-20-2011 | 01:35 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Dave, are you going to be at VIR at some point this year, Viper days? If so I'd like to set something up.

Thanks, Patrick
Old 01-20-2011 | 09:12 AM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Sorry Jenk12m... No SB this year.. Was rooting for u.. Saw u here when u drubbed the bucs. Well hopefully u will have time to come out to the track more. U coming to the 48 hours now?

It was great to see Dave and watch him with Tom and Kevin. Both were able to quickly absorb what Dave was describing and put it to use. This was even harder as he could not go out with either in the car, or put some laps down driving while they observed as neither had a passenger seat. So he was coaching just from video and data. So great job Dave.
Old 01-20-2011 | 09:21 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paddy
Dave, are you going to be at VIR at some point this year, Viper days? If so I'd like to set something up.

Thanks, Patrick

I expect so. Most likely would be the PBOC/Viper weekend in July, but nothing definite yet. Please contact me off RennList directly to discuss, thanks: dave@racecoach.net

Bob, many thanks. Without your help making stuff happen quickly & thoroughly, we might not have been nearly so successful!

Old 01-20-2011 | 11:12 AM
smankow
Pro

[QUOTE=Veloce Raptor;8224127]Hey, Mike, are you planning to drive at the PBOC event at Road Atlanta the end of February? I am trying to put together a trip there for that.....

VR, any idea what the temps are like at RA in late February? I'm thinking about it, but work and the weather are deterents

steve
Old 01-20-2011 | 11:49 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=smankow;8227548]
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Hey, Mike, are you planning to drive at the PBOC event at Road Atlanta the end of February? I am trying to put together a trip there for that.....

VR, any idea what the temps are like at RA in late February? I'm thinking about it, but work and the weather are deterents

steve

I don't live there, so I am just guessing, but I suspect it could be 50's to 70's, possibly rainy. Definitely better than Pennsylvania!

Quick Reply: HOW TO TAKE 2 SECONDS OFF YOUR FASTEST LAP TIME!