Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas World Speedway - GPS and Elevation Maps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 04:52 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Texas World Speedway - GPS and Elevation Maps?

I have been boning up on the theory, and, while at it, I wanted to figure out what the geometric line speed would be through the corners and, perhaps, figure out what the numbers become if I took elevation/banking/camber into account.

However, I can't seem to find any high-res, high-detail map of TWS for starters. The best I could do were some sketches and Google map satellite image. I would like something that I could at least print out on a large format and use compass to figure out the radii.

Maybe someone "out there" has already done all this? You know, GPS coordinates of the track, camber and what not? Save me some time?
Old 01-16-2011, 05:50 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Did you try to download the map files from Traqmate/Racelogic, etc? They might have what you need (although I'm not sure what format they would be in.

-td
Old 01-16-2011, 05:52 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Originally Posted by himself
Did you try to download the map files from Traqmate/Racelogic, etc? They might have what you need (although I'm not sure what format they would be in.

-td
That might work - I just don't own this equipment. Plus, indeed, not very clear as to what software would work with those... Tinkering on the Web for now...
Old 01-16-2011, 06:23 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Google earth works pretty well. Might be able to trace a decent path.

-td
Old 01-16-2011, 06:31 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Originally Posted by himself
Google earth works pretty well. Might be able to trace a decent path.

-td
That's what I have been doing for the last hour. Seems the easiest is to print each turns individually and then use good ol' compass and ruler. GE also gives you an idea on the elevation, but not banking...
Old 01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Chris Alvarado
Instructor

See what Harry's Lap Timer has for you. It is an iPhone app and so far, for a phone, I'm pretty impressed with it.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:03 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chris Alvarado
See what Harry's Lap Timer has for you. It is an iPhone app and so far, for a phone, I'm pretty impressed with it.
Yep; I have it - have not yet used it on the track. TWS CW and CCW are on the list of built-in tracks; I don't know if one can "extract" the GPS data out of it...
Old 01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Chris Alvarado
Instructor

I'm sure you can but like you I haven't tried. What really impressed me was that I was able to see other drivers in real time on the track map. I had not met them nor "friended" them. The app doesn't require it but was smart enough to realize we were all at the same location together.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:13 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Smile

I'm sure you can but like you I haven't tried. What really impressed me was that I was able to see other drivers in real time on the track map. I had not met them nor "friended" them. The app doesn't require it but was smart enough to realize we were all at the same location together.
Huh.. I did not realize that you can actually "see" others. I am really looking forward to the DE in a couple of weeks. Will need to talk to people who have used HLT to cut down on the "learning curve"...
Old 01-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Chris Alvarado
Instructor

There was a 2 sec. delay. The nice part is that you can toss it in the car and forget it. It will auto-start at s/f. Sometimes it will miss the s/f and you'll end up with a single lap time twice as long. Or in my case you might end up with an 8m lap. Whoops. You can also delete the laps individually. Joost tried out the video recording feature but I didn't check with him to see how it turned out.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:35 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

There was a 2 sec. delay. The nice part is that you can toss it in the car and forget it. It will auto-start at s/f. Sometimes it will miss the s/f and you'll end up with a single lap time twice as long. Or in my case you might end up with an 8m lap. Whoops. You can also delete the laps individually. Joost tried out the video recording feature but I didn't check with him to see how it turned out.
I actually don't have an IPhone, using an IPod with the TomTom external GPS.
It does look sweet though... I believe that there is a way of superimposing "a" video with the HLT data; I have a Hero HD camera, so am wondering about doing just that... There are some sweet videos on YouTube showing HLT data on top of a video of a run...
Old 01-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Chris Alvarado
Instructor

The Tom Tom has a 5ghz response whereas the iPhone has a 1ghz (I believe). But for DE level driving I'm good with that. Sounds like it might be time time to consolidate on equipment or get a bigger alternator! I hear the iPhone can also make and receive calls. I think may just be a rumor though!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Defiant
Instructor

Originally Posted by maestromaestro
I actually don't have an IPhone, using an IPod with the TomTom external GPS.
It does look sweet though... I believe that there is a way of superimposing "a" video with the HLT data; I have a Hero HD camera, so am wondering about doing just that... There are some sweet videos on YouTube showing HLT data on top of a video of a run...
I have a couple of runs on the track using Harry's Laptimer. I can send you an export by email if you like. Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you what I can.

Defiant
Old 01-19-2011, 04:13 PM
Chris Alvarado
Instructor

I'd be interested in seeing it.
calvarado@clubregistration.net

Quick Reply: Texas World Speedway - GPS and Elevation Maps?