Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does everyone do with electrics when they build a track car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:28 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
Cool, thanks Charles.

Originally Posted by DanR
what you doing looking out the side window? Observing the scenery?
He wants the best view of all the 911's he's going to pass!!
Old 01-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Patrick, I've got all the wires completely removed from my chassis, it's about to get a cage put in, and I found this thread very useful for planning my wiring:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-race-car.html

I'm basically going to re-do the wiring harness so that it's JUST the bare minimum wires that I need, and relocate the fusebox to the passenger cabin for ease of access.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:24 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Thanks Rich. That's a helpful thread. This is something that I hadn't given much thought to up till now...and I realise that it's a bit scary for someone mentally challenged as me. As I will be running a full standalone with it's own harness I wonder what of the original setup I'll need? If you've removed all your wiring might I assume that you're going standalone too?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:01 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

When ruining a perfectly good streetcar for the track we all think one day we will return that streetcar back to stock. In my case all the orphan wire in my ferrari (already a wiring fire hazard from the factory) shorted and started a fire. I was on the back straight on the ACS infield with smoke billowing from the front bonnet and I could not see. Luckily the track jogs left I exited stage right into the grass and jumpped out of the car as I hit the electronic kill switch hooked my foot on the window net and crashed to the ground like a sack of potatos. All I could thing about was guys getting trapped in their cars with HANS on. The fire smoke instantly cleared and hitting the extingisher was not needed. The fire truck came jetting over from the hairpin just before the infield front straight. He was laughing as he ran with his extinguisher. Laughing he says, "I have not seen a guy get out of a car that fast in a long time" "Good Job!" Moral of the story...NO ORPHAN WIRING!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:22 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I am tossing up whether to keep the stock fuse box and even some of the stock wiring and just relocate the fuse box, maybe inside the cabin. Someone I know suggested that the Painless stuff is a bit low quality.
Anyone have it yet to confirm or deny?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 81 Posts

If one is running factory FI, then it may make sense to just de-populate the factory harnesses as needed. Pretty easy to use the factory schematics and keep just what you need. For a car with aftermarket FI, I think it is easier to make a custom set of harnesses and get things just the way you want them. On my 1975 911 with Haltech, I did my own wiring project one winter offseason... about 2003 or 4. I have helped a few friends do theirs as well. I found everything I needed pretty easily... shrink wrap, connectors... simple and cheap crimping tools. A very satisfying project. Much better than building a ship in a bottle.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Someone I know suggested that the Painless stuff is a bit low quality.
Anyone have it yet to confirm or deny?
I'm sure that you can find something more expensive to buy but I had no issues with the quality of the painless kit.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Rip it all out....I used to think completely rewiring a car was a waste of time. I went through the progression of wiring a piggyback ECU into the factory harness, deleting wiring which didn't seem needed and adding what was required for extra guages and ancilliaries, but over a couple of years it turned into a complete rats nest under the dash. I was also continually experiencing electrical gremlins which were hard to figure out.

After having the Motec installed I hit an electrical low point when a wire under the dash which had been cut off during the install but not properly terminated caught fire on a track test and filled the cabin with smoke and fumes mid corner. Apart from nearly crashing off the track I also got burnt when the wiring fell down on my leg.

I decided to rip out the dash and every trace of factory wiring and start again. I wanted everything accessible so I built the whole electrical system onto a new dash which mounts to the cage on a cross bar and connects to the rest of the cars wiring with a bunch of simple weatherpack connectors so it can come out easily . You can buy premade harnesses as suggested, but they will all be a compromise and need adapting to your car and the specific locations you have for things.

A race car sounds simple but you will be surprised how many circuits are actually needed. I rewired every circuit individually using aviation grade wiring and connectors. This is the best mod I ever made to the car. It doesn't go any faster but the reliability and ease of access and maintenance is more than worth it.

Heres the dash:

Old 01-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW. Very imressive work.

Curious why you deleted the shifter.

Originally Posted by Dubai944
Rip it all out....I used to think completely rewiring a car was a waste of time. I went through the progression of wiring a piggyback ECU into the factory harness, deleting wiring which didn't seem needed and adding what was required for extra guages and ancilliaries, but over a couple of years it turned into a complete rats nest under the dash. I was also continually experiencing electrical gremlins which were hard to figure out.

After having the Motec installed I hit an electrical low point when a wire under the dash which had been cut off during the install but not properly terminated caught fire on a track test and filled the cabin with smoke and fumes mid corner. Apart from nearly crashing off the track I also got burnt when the wiring fell down on my leg.

I decided to rip out the dash and every trace of factory wiring and start again. I wanted everything accessible so I built the whole electrical system onto a new dash which mounts to the cage on a cross bar and connects to the rest of the cars wiring with a bunch of simple weatherpack connectors so it can come out easily . You can buy premade harnesses as suggested, but they will all be a compromise and need adapting to your car and the specific locations you have for things.

A race car sounds simple but you will be surprised how many circuits are actually needed. I rewired every circuit individually using aviation grade wiring and connectors. This is the best mod I ever made to the car. It doesn't go any faster but the reliability and ease of access and maintenance is more than worth it.

Heres the dash:

Old 01-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian A.
Curious why you deleted the shifter.
Lol. Well shifters are overated and it just didn't look right with the new dash....
Old 01-23-2011, 04:28 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Steve that dash looks awesome! This is where I'm headed now so thanks for posting. That's great work by the way. Feel free to come down to Sydney and do mine at any time.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

If I had more money I would have preferred to use MoTec Power Distribution Modules (PDMs) instead of all the fuses and relays, but I couldn't justify the cost. It's the way to go if you can afford it though.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:13 PM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm with Dub944, started of using old wiring and harnas but soon found there's just too many issues with old connectors, old brittle cabling etc. All went out and rewired to the dash which also hangs on the crossbar. You go motec, you need different sensors anyway so might as well wire them new. kept lights, indicators and a few 12 volt supply lines for vbox, performance box etc....
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2011, 12:08 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

You guys have got two of the cleanest cars running. Love the shower caps on the steering wheel and shifter **** Henk.

Steve, humour me. What sort of costs were you quoted on the Motec PDMs? Think I'll go with the Alu sheeting on the floorpan too. We're going to put in a floor mounted pedal box, extend the steering column and move the seating back and down but have to prop up the pedal box a little so might go with that alu sheeting.
You back in QLD yet? Damn mess....
Old 01-24-2011, 02:51 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

http://www.m-cal.com/Products/list/P...tion/View-All/

This is one link for purchase of PDMs in the UK, gives you an idea on prices. In Dubai prices were 30% on top of that! Not sure what current prices are in Oz or US. With the Australian Dollar being so high right now you might be able to come out ahead buying older stock from the US.

Came home to QLD for Christmas/New Year and got very wet! Back in Dubai now for a few more months of Sunshine before I go home permanently.

Quick Reply: What does everyone do with electrics when they build a track car?