Old 01-13-2011, 10:34 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,328 Likes on 1,968 Posts
Default Alonso says Schumacher is his biggest threat in 2011

Alonso tips Schumacher as biggest threat
13 January 2011
Fernando Alonso has spoken out about his rivals ahead of the 2011 season, and claims that Michael Schumacher will be his biggest threat on-track this year. His comments come after a difficult season for veteran racer Schumacher, who failed to make the podium and was largely outperformed by team-mate Nico Rosberg.

The Ferrari driver is unwilling to dismiss Schumacher’s threat however, and does not want to rule out the 42-year-old. Talking to press at the annual Wrooom event at Madonna di Campiglio, Alonso explained that he believes the German will be fighting at the front if his car is strong enough:

“There will be five World Champions on the track and the most dangerous Champion for me is always Michael. Now in January if I have to choose one name I have to say Michael. He is seven-times Champion.

"He has nothing to prove. He had a difficult season but he is still a Champion. He is still super class and if the car is right he will be a contender."

Alonso also mentioned his other main opponents, but is hoping that Ferrari’s new challenger will be strong enough to consistently compete at the front, allowing for another chance of recapturing the world title.

"Hopefully our car is better than the others and my toughest rival next year is Felipe," he said. “No doubt Sebastian will be a contender. He will have experience and will be calm in certain moments. He will drive better than last year and that makes him dangerous to us. McLaren will also be one of the favourites.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:43 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I doubt that's what he is really thinking, probably he is starting to play mind games with Vetel, Hami and Webb.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:04 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am waiting for the post comment analysis by the RL Alonso PR machine... PR proctology at it's best
Old 01-13-2011, 11:07 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

I didn't realize the fight for 7th place was going to be that thought out.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:52 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm.,Alonso has already given up on taking on Vettel I guess.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:52 PM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

guess Alonso was talking of competing in who get's nicest grid boy. ,)
Old 01-13-2011, 03:34 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,328 Likes on 1,968 Posts
Default McLaren also worried about Mercedes/Schumacher/Nico

Whitmarsh: Watch out for Mercedes GP!

Martin Whitmarsh: Ross Brawn and his team, plus Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg, are very impressive...

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh has said he wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes Grand Prix mounts a 'significant challenge' in 2011.

Although it was only a three-horse race for honours last season, with Red Bull Racing, Ferrari and McLaren monopolising things at the head of the pack, Whitmarsh reckons F1 2011 could be a lot more competitive.

“The 2010 season could be said to have been a three-team race [between ourselves, Red Bull and Ferrari] and undoubtedly it was a very exciting one. I wouldn't be at all surprised [though] if 2011 were to involve those three teams - and others besides," Whitmarsh told the official F1 website when asked if Mercedes might make it a 'big four' this year.

“You've mentioned Mercedes-Benz - and we at McLaren know all too well, having worked closely with them since 1995, what a powerful and effective racing force they are. Equally, Ross Brawn and his team, plus Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg, are very impressive too.

“So it would be no surprise to see them mounting a more significant challenge in 2011 than they did in 2010.

“We never underestimate our opposition and we're sure they're working every bit as hard as we are.”
Old 01-14-2011, 11:28 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Gotta love it, even when the guy is complimentary to Michael and has nice things to say, people have to dump on him. Like they say," you are damned if you do, you are damned if you don't".
Hmmm, wonder who is doing the spinning here? lol
Old 01-15-2011, 12:34 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Gotta love it, even when the guy is complimentary to Michael and has nice things to say, people have to dump on him. Like they say," you are damned if you do, you are damned if you don't".
Hmmm, wonder who is doing the spinning here? lol
A double dose of Fauker in him

Quick Reply: Alonso says Schumacher is his biggest threat in 2011