Sponsored by:

G50 oil cooler install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default G50 oil cooler install?

Any of you guys have any pics of an oil cooler/ pump install on a G50 box? I'm researching options before I take the plunge. The PO of the car had AN8 fittings installed at last refresh, but never completed the install.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:52 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

It looks like autometrics has some photos on their website and may sell a kit for your car

Old 01-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

We have one that was put together by Henry at Supertec. Uses the same Tilton pump as the one pictured above, the heat exchanger is mounted in the left rear quarterpanel. The car was a normal Carrera body when everything was installed, now that it is a widebody I have more room to move the heat exchanger around to a better location but it seems to work fine where it is.
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.

Cory: I've been eyeing that space in the driver's fender well. My car still has t-bars and I don't think I have room to mount the pump in that location.

Chris "cstreit" on the other board has offered to put together a material list
Old 01-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

JMHO,....

Oil coolers are simply heat exchangers and they are inefficient unless they get enough airflow to make the "exchange". I would mount the transmission cooler under the engine grille on the left side as its a FAR cooler location than the fender well and it takes advantage of the engine fan pulling air through it. Plumb it with AN-8.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Our customers mount them all over the place. Some put them in the left rear fender as mentioned above. Others put them in the engine getting air off the vents in the tail like Steve said for more direct air flow.

You can also put it inside the chassis where the rear seats used to be, and attach a small electric fan to it. Then you switch on the fan at the same time you switch on the pump.

The other place is all the way up in the left fender as kind of a mirror image of the factory fender mounted engine cooler on the right of an air cooled car.

No matter what you do make sure you have a temp guage. You want to be able to monitor the gearbox temps. In a sprint you might not even need to turn the cooler on, but in an enduro you'll want it for sure.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:16 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

When I had one in my GT car, IIRC there was an air hose from the quarter window through the firewall directly to the cooler.
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

HTML Code:
JMHO,....

Oil coolers are simply heat exchangers and they are inefficient unless they get enough airflow to make the "exchange". I would mount the transmission cooler under the engine grille on the left side as its a FAR cooler location than the fender well and it takes advantage of the engine fan pulling air through it. Plumb it with AN-8.
Steve, never considered that location, but it makes sense. Would the higher than the gear box location cause issues with overfill?
HTML Code:
Our customers mount them all over the place. Some put them in the left rear fender as mentioned above. Others put them in the engine getting air off the vents in the tail like Steve said for more direct air flow.

You can also put it inside the chassis where the rear seats used to be, and attach a small electric fan to it. Then you switch on the fan at the same time you switch on the pump.

The other place is all the way up in the left fender as kind of a mirror image of the factory fender mounted engine cooler on the right of an air cooled car.

No matter what you do make sure you have a temp guage. You want to be able to monitor the gearbox temps. In a sprint you might not even need to turn the cooler on, but in an enduro you'll want it for sure.
GT- I have an-8 fittings in the box already, I can see putting the pump in the cabin where the rear seats used to be, but I have carrera coolers in both front fenders already for engine cooling. Temp gauge is on my must do list. Not anxious to introduce more heat into cabin.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Here are a few pictures of mine, I used the heating duct and frame rails to run the -8 lines all the way to the front. I take oil from the drain plug and return directly over the differential. MoTeC controls the gearbox cooler to keep the temps at about 200f using a temp sensor in the side of the case.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Our car had torsion bars on it too, the pump was clamped to the torsion bar tube on the right hand side near the transmission mount. Sorry no pics but it's pretty straight forward. An experienced shop like Supertec would know all the right clamps and hardware to use for an clean install, as well as the correct size pump, cooler, and plumbing. I think Wevo may sell a complete kit too.

As far as the location of the cooler, now that I have more room I will probably end up turning the heat exchanger 90 degrees and ducting some fresh air to it through a NACA duct in the quarter window or a scoop somewhere eventually just because it makes more sense in theory. In my experience the cooler isn't really needed for normal sprint racing anyway, even in the hot SoCal tracks we race at. We decided to add to cooler because the trans was locking up when hot, but that only happened when we had 2 drivers sharing the car on 90-100 degree summer days where the car would be run hard for an hour, rest 20-30 minutes, then run for another hour, etc all day. If you aren't doing enduros or sharing the car in hot weather you may not need the cooler which would save you some $$ and weight.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Cory, it looks I'll be sharing the car with the wifey at some events this year and It got balky on me at Watkins Glen later in the day when it was just me driving. I think the 50/80 LSD contributes to the heat build up
Old 01-12-2011, 02:30 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

The LSD, especially if it is one of ours, will add 20-30 degrees to the temps of the gearbox.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Yes it is and it works like a champ.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the data I posted above and see how quickly the gearbox temp rises. That was from WGI, so it took about 15 minutes to reach 200F. This is my 964RSR 6speed and a PMNA 4 plate differential. Even running sprint races 30min or longer, you'll find the gearbox temps are well over 240F. My cooler may be a little large, however, it gets dirty air from the oil cooler outlet.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Geoffrey, I have a second carrera engine oil cooler in that location already, but I could put in the center location of the front bumper as that space is available. Long lines, but doable.

Quick Reply: G50 oil cooler install?