Sponsored by:

ethanol in fuel will degrade your fuel cell

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 09:54 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ethanol in fuel will degrade your fuel cell

Kept forgetting to post this, got the verdict a month ago. My 993 cup developed a bad miss last time out. Verdict was that the cell foam had begun to degrade/dissolve into a crumbly mess, seizing up the fuel pumps. The shop's theory (Dawes) was that someone had used pump gas regularly in it's history.
Apparently earlier cell foam was not alcohol resistant.

Thought I'd pass it on since many running stock classes are likely using pump gas at least from time to time.

Another reason to hate ethanol. I've already had to rebuild mechanical fuel pumps and some fuel lines in some vintage cars. Now this.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

You should plan on reconditioning fuel cells at a minimum every 5 years, sometimes every 3. Although ethanol may accelerate the degradation it occurs even just using race fuel over time.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:28 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

this winter I pumped out all the fuel from my 73 to keep the cell dry

but not sure if that's good for he carbs, never had carbs on a racecar before.

Any suggestions or not to worry??
Old 01-02-2011, 12:47 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

The GA team I worked with briefly had a lot of trouble with ethanol. It destroyed the foam, the fuel bladders and softened fuel lines. I think that was the first year Sunoco was using it in their race fuels, and lots of folks were having trouble. Didn't take long at all for stuff to get ruined. I hate the stuff.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:01 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

If you run on pump gas you may run into this at some point, here in the SW we get stuck with up to 10% every winter due to EPA sillyness...i made the mistake of fueling up one winter and letting the car sit till spring, not good on parts...if you run in areas where its a problem you can run the methanol resistant foam (for drag cars/boats) little more pricey but will eliminate the potential problem.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 836 Posts

Even Owl Bore....er....Al Gore...had finally admitted that corn-based ethanol in gasoline is a moronic idea impelemented solely to suck up to the powerful corn farm lobby. But like most retarded things implemented by monolithic oxygen-thieving bureaucracies, it will take an incredible effort to undo it.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 01-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience back from 2002-

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...know-long.html
Old 01-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by J richard
If you run on pump gas you may run into this at some point, here in the SW we get stuck with up to 10% every winter due to EPA sillyness...i made the mistake of fueling up one winter and letting the car sit till spring, not good on parts...if you run in areas where its a problem you can run the methanol resistant foam (for drag cars/boats) little more pricey but will eliminate the potential problem.
Great tip, Thanks!
G
Old 01-02-2011, 02:35 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

E10 or E15 wont present much of a problem until it sits for some period of time where the Ethanol will separate from the gasoline and sink to the bottom. And it will begin to rot the bottom of the cell.

The DP cars had this problem at first but now must pump out when not in use.

We've found the FT-5 spec fuel cell material is the most durable. FT-3 and FT-3.5 not so much.

Quick Reply: ethanol in fuel will degrade your fuel cell