Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:18 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Adult booster seat?

Hey all,

Hoping someone here can help.

My wife announced a few months ago that she would like to do DE this coming year. All fine and dandy but I am now scrambling to prep the car to make sure it'll hold up.

One problem I have yet to figure out how to rectify - the height difference between my wife and I. I'm 6'2. She's 5'2. With the stock seats, I didn't fit in the car with my helmet on unless I opened the sunroof. To solve this, I pulled the stock seats in favor of a set of Recaro Speed (formerly SRD) seats. Now, I fit perfectly. My wife, however, can't see over the steering wheel.

We solved this for Autocross by literally taking a cushion off of our living room couch and putting it on the seat in the car so when she drives she can see. While this works fine for Autocross (where we just use the stock 3pt belts) - I don't imagine this will be looked upon favorably when it comes to DE. One just for "rig" factor and two, the cushion is large enough that it covers the sub belt hole in the Recaro.

Does anybody make a booster seat of sorts with a hole in it for a sub belt?

A friend of mine has Racetech fixed-back seats in his car - and they came with an additional lower cushion (complete with sub-belt hole). When he and his wife share the car for events, she just drops the cushion in before she drives. However - this is a unique piece to their seat. I'm hoping to find a more universal fit one that will fit into the bottom of the Recaro Speed/SRD.

Any ideas? If I can't find something I guess my wife and I will just bust out the sewing machine and make something. But I'd rather avoid the raised eyebrows from the DE instructors by having her sitting on something that looks hacked.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:32 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

I am not sure if it will fit but you can always borrow the cushion out of the passenger seat from my car. By the way, this thread begs to be maded fun of and I am having trouble not doing it...
Old 12-29-2010, 01:38 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by certz
I am not sure if it will fit but you can always borrow the cushion out of the passenger seat from my car. By the way, this thread begs to be maded fun of and I am having trouble not doing it...
WTF are you doing reading Rennlist while on vacation in Italy?

Go eat some spaghetti or something.

Oh. And thanks for the offer of letting me borrow your other cushion. Might take you up on that.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:42 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by certz
By the way, this thread begs to be maded fun of and I am having trouble not doing it...
I haven't even made it to the track yet and already I'm getting **** about it.

The abuse Chicago region people have to take from the instructors... sheesh.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It probably won't be cheap, but you do see ALMS and others use seat inserts during driver changes that are moulded to the driver to make up for a height/weight difference.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=4525

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/doc...ocID=TECH00005
Old 12-29-2010, 03:14 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Hmmm. Ok.

Maybe I'll email Ruther and see if he has a vendor that can do something like this. ($$$cringe$$$)
Old 12-29-2010, 03:23 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the cushion is JC's car works , Im sure NStar can order that same cushion for you. As long as the belts still work and the cushion wont push her off the seat or interfere with anything I would think it would be kosher. Might want to ask Todd though.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:28 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Just shot an email to Ruther. We'll see what he says. I imagine if he can just order another Racetech cushion (and he deems it "safe") he'll suggest it.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got one of these seats in my formula car: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecID=1038

They could probably be used to make an insert like the ALMS guys use, but be warned: they're crazy messy when you make them. Plan on throwing anything you're wearing away, but it would be hard to keep the rest of your car interior clean when you do it.

If nothing else, if she can see at all over the steering wheel, it might not be a bad thing if she's sitting that low - it will force her to look ahead
Old 12-29-2010, 03:44 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I wonder about these homemade insert kits. Seems like their intended purpose is more to fill in the side bolsters and make the seat fit snug. If I fill a bag with hardening goo, and then have my wife sit on it - won't all the goo just squish around and out from under her? I need something that'll lift her UP, not just make the side bolsters grab her more firmly.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:45 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Scootin159
If nothing else, if she can see at all over the steering wheel, it might not be a bad thing if she's sitting that low - it will force her to look ahead
LOL.

The top of the steering wheel is about her eye level when she sits in the driver's seat. She can barely peer over the door panel. (I have the seat mounted to the floor.) She needs a booster
Old 12-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I wonder about these homemade insert kits. Seems like their intended purpose is more to fill in the side bolsters and make the seat fit snug. If I fill a bag with hardening goo, and then have my wife sit on it - won't all the goo just squish around and out from under her? I need something that'll lift her UP, not just make the side bolsters grab her more firmly.
No doubt. You would need to have something to lift her up. Maybe put a foam block into the bag that she would sit on, and let the rest form around it.

Be patient, we're working on your solution!
Old 12-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Apex Rex
Racer

When I had one of my friends use my 968 for a couple of DE's, he went to Wal-Mart and found a cushion that fit perfectly in my Kirkey Intermediate to boost him up about 3/4". Our height difference wasn't as big as yours, but the cushion gave my friend just the boost he needed. It came with those little friction dots on it too so it never moved.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

You need to buy one of these and some of these and use one of these
Old 12-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Or check out a bead seat instead of a foam seat. The beads will hold her up and not squish out when you make the seat.

Quick Reply: Adult booster seat?