Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:39 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,117 Posts
Default Seems like a no brainer. Two international races for Austin

Austin F1 track denies MotoGP discussions

“MotoGP would be great for Texas and the fans but I haven't had any discussions with him [Ezpeleta] about that"
Whilst enthusiastic about the idea, representatives of the new F1 track being built in Austin, Texas claim to be unaware of any discussions about hosting a MotoGP event.

During a press conference at this week's Ducati launch, Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta was quoted as saying early discussions had begun with the US circuit, which is due to join the F1 calendar in 2012.

“MotoGP would be great for Texas and the fans but I haven't had any discussions with him [Ezpeleta] about that,” U.S. Grand Prix promoter Tavo Hellmund (pictured with Conor Daly) told a report by John Maher on Statesman.com. “Everything is F1.”

Investor and land owner Bobby Epstein added, “A MotoGP championship race would be amazing for the fans and the economy. But I don't know of any conversations.”

Two MotoGP rounds are already held in the US, at Laguna Seca and Indianapolis, although Indianapolis signed only a one-year contract extension for 2011.

1993 500cc world champion Kevin Schwantz is a consultant for the new Austin venue.

India, which is due to host its first F1 event this year, was the other circuit mentioned by Ezpeleta as a potential - and at this stage more likely - new MotoGP venue.

Quick Reply: Permits approved this week. Ground breaking for F1 track in Austin begins