Sponsored by:

Leh Keen's Sebring Video...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:27 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by neilwight
thanks for the posting. first time ive seen that.
i need to go work on my footwork. here was me thinking ive managed to improve it this year and that just makes me feel like a leaden footed oaf.
curious to read the comments ref the using of every gear on the way down too. this was always how i had been told to do it rather than skip cogs out.

just to digress a little but do i take it that most jump right to the gear they need or in the case of a big shift down, say 5th to 2nd hit 3rd and then 2nd a miss out 4th etc?
Personally, yes. I've often gone from 5th to 3rd to 2nd. Just a matter of matching your revs correctly. Also there might be something to the n/a vs turbo cars. Perhaps with higher c/r it's harder to do and just not a wise option? I remember seeing racers going from 5th straight to 2nd also...but I don't think there's an absolute. I'd quite clearly defer to the people that appear in this thread.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:56 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I'm in awe by how easy they make driving on the edge look. There are moments in either video where lesser mortals would have hesitated or reacted a milli-second too late (if at all) and the results would have been significanly different.

Remember the thread a week or so ago about bending the car into a turn and carrying more mid-entry speed? I think it's fun to re-think about what Larry H. and Chris Cervelli were talking about and then watch Leh and Seth's videos again. Fun stuff.....

Oh and just for the bleep of it, here's Cervelli (another gifted driver) bending his way around Texas World Speedway (another bumpy track) a few years ago in his 993RSR....

[/url]

Yjup, all those guys are rolling the car in many of the corners. By the way, TWS is really not bumpy, especially compared with Sebring. It has gotten slightly bumpy in some small areas since Chris' video was made, due to 2 years of historic drought followed by a year of floods....but it is not bumpy as tracks go.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 12-31-2010, 01:47 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
By the way, TWS is really not bumpy, especially compared with Sebring. It has gotten slightly bumpy in some small areas since Chris' video was made, due to 2 years of historic drought followed by a year of floods....but it is not bumpy as tracks go.

Well it was bumpy enough to make Rob's Spec Box I was racing swap ends while driving in a straight line when I bumped over that other road that ran across the track....
Old 12-31-2010, 03:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Well it was bumpy enough to make Rob's Spec Box I was racing swap ends while driving in a straight line when I bumped over that other road that ran across the track....
Hmm. I have only seen that happen when there is too much throttle with wheels not straight and/or the left rear tire goes slightly off track at track out & hits the serrated yellow curbing there. It is very rare and, no disrespect intended, always caused by driver error.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:53 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One day I will have to make a trip out to TWS and have Dave show me the ropes
Old 12-31-2010, 07:00 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jenk12m
I hope you do. It's a great, and underrated track. Fast, with a variety of turns, and at least a little elevation change. Come on down, and I'll serve you up a Martini when the track goes cold.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:04 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Hmm. I have only seen that happen when there is too much throttle with wheels not straight and/or the left rear tire goes slightly off track at track out & hits the serrated yellow curbing there. It is very rare and, no disrespect intended, always caused by driver error.

Who knows, it happened so fast and I was totally unprepared for it since I was driving in a straight line. Perhaps I shifted over the top and the drive wheel caught, or maybe it was just all that cold rain. There was standing water on the track in places and I went sideways into a lake which probably saved me from the tire wall above.

I'd like a rematch someday ....
Old 12-31-2010, 08:43 PM
jenk12m
Banned

i'll be looking forward to that martini
Old 12-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jenk12m

Anytime, Mike!! I think you'd really like TWS.

JR, it was wet? Ah...now I understand. Very touchy transition there under throttle in the wet. Back in 2004 there was one of the worst wrecks I have ever seen causd by water in that section, combined with low temperatures + a 700HP 930-style single turbo racecar + full slicks. Any folks from Texas who recall the Andre wreck will know what I am talking about. Ironically, I have driven that same car (rebuilt) at TWS, but thankfuully it was dry.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:28 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

JR, it was wet? Ah...now I understand. Very touchy transition there under throttle in the wet. Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Dave that was 2 years ago this March at the PCA race. It was 3 days of rain and freezing temps. I thought I met you there....
Old 12-31-2010, 10:23 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Dave that was 2 years ago this March at the PCA race. It was 3 days of rain and freezing temps. I thought I met you there....
Pretty sure you did, and I know I met you that weekend. It was my rookie race. I love the rain, though a little warmer would be better!
Old 01-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

Anytime, Mike!! I think you'd really like TWS.

JR, it was wet? Ah...now I understand. Very touchy transition there under throttle in the wet. Back in 2004 there was one of the worst wrecks I have ever seen causd by water in that section, combined with low temperatures + a 700HP 930-style single turbo racecar + full slicks. Any folks from Texas who recall the Andre wreck will know what I am talking about. Ironically, I have driven that same car (rebuilt) at TWS, but thankfuully it was dry.
I watched that wreck unfold right in front of me. It was sickening. By far, the worst thing I have ever seen on the racetrack.

Chris
Old 01-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
I watched that wreck unfold right in front of me. It was sickening. By far, the worst thing I have ever seen on the racetrack.

Chris

Yup. He was very, very lucky. Those of us not on track that session sort of knew he was gonna go off somewhere, given the cold & wet, and how hard he was pushing in the first laps of that 8 AM session. But I figured he'd go off in 1 or 2, not in 3.

That car--at least in its current configuration--is pretty awesome, by the way. Tough to enjoy in a DE, but still....very nice car.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Thanks guys. I will see about getting some video up of the new M3 after the test days this weekend at Daytona.

As for Leh and I moving our hands a lot in driving at Sebring please don't confuse this with a way to drive a car fast. Sebring is a bumpy course and we were driving cars that have really stiff suspensions (full solid mounts all around with 1000lb plus springs, stiff sway bars, etc). Driving a car fast is not about making a lot of movements with the wheel like is seen in these footages. it is cool to watch because the car is sliding a lot but it is usually not fast. Hopefully with the new paving at Daytona I can show you guys some of this next week. We will see what I can get.

Also I go down through all the gears just like Leh was doing when I am in a car with a h-pattern gearbox. The reason for this is be easier on the synchros in the box plus it helps to make sure you don't miss a gear on the way down.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

probably the most watchable incar ive ever seen. Still cool after all these years. I just love the 5 downshifts at the beginning of the race. (:50 on video) thats going down all 6 gears! I think the most I can ever do is 4, but thats rare. Got to love the close ratio gears!

Quick Reply: Leh Keen's Sebring Video...