Sponsored by:

SA 2010 helmet recs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Default SA 2010 helmet recs?

Need a new helmet for spring, and looking for recommendations. On the premise that all the SA2010 rated helmets are comparably safe, what would you recommend assuming:

1. Will need HANS anchors installed.
2. Not looking to spend a fortune.
3. Only for DE, so weight is not a huge consideration.
4. Full face w/ shield.
5. Will need a large eyeport to fit prescription glasses.
6. Washable liner would be nice.
7. Don't care for fancy - just good quality.
8. Oh, and I have a Fat Head...

Thanks for any recommendations.

Best,

Matt
Old 12-27-2010, 06:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,631 Likes on 758 Posts

I'm looking also..
Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Fit, fit and fit.

You need to try on as many different brands as possible, since you might have an Arai or Bell or OMP or Stand21 shaped head.

If it doesn't fit properly, it won't do you any good, at any price.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Simpson fits me - but that's me. 2010 in stock at Rallysport.ca
Also has the full line of Bell also 2010. Why full face? I hate them in a closed car. Too damn hot and communication is a problem as in "frmph mrmph frawl" "what"?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Yup, very sage advice. I purchased my prior helmet (HJC) by mail order, relying only on the manufactuers measurement/fitment chart.

I lucked out, and it fit. But I was fortunate.

Insert "That's 'cause you have a Korean-style head" joke here...
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bob - they're out west, right?

Would like to try on a couple of brands locally if possible, since I don't know what fits me best - besides HJC, that is!

Just figured a full face will be most flexible in the long-term depending what I want to do. And safer, though I have no intention of verifying that personally.

Best,

Matt

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Simpson fits me - but that's me. 2010 in stock at Rallysport.ca
Also has the full line of Bell also 2010. Why full face? I hate them in a closed car. Too damn hot and communication is a problem as in "frmph mrmph frawl" "what"?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Rallysport is in Calgary - Shawn Bishop. Nice guy. Locally I am not sure where you can try on different helmets. CHAG has Stand21 ($$$$$) who will custom make one for a perfect fit. ICAR sells helmets, Stilo I think also $$$$. Not sure who else has SA helmets. Lots of motorcycle places of course for SM 2010.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Maybe I'll try on some of the more available (SM) helmet brands for fit, then order SA remotely.

Thanks Bob.

Matt
Old 12-27-2010, 09:19 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Just bought a Simpson Devill Ray CF...I know you said weight was not an issue but....It can be a drain on you in a DE as well....And weight is not what you want on your head in the event of an accident. I've had many helmets, Bell, Sparco, Biefe, etc. and this one feels and fits the best so far.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:32 PM
DC5Chick06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered this helmet for the boyfriend for Christmas. I was super surprised how light it was compared to my SA2005 GForce.

Here's the spec list,
The Bell Sport (SA2010) Auto Racing Helmet Features:
  • Shield: 281/3MM SRV
  • Colors: Gloss White, Gloss Black & Gloss Orange
  • SRV-2 Pivot Kit
  • Standard Eyeport
  • Sizes: S to XL
  • Pre-Drilled for Hans Device Hardware

It is also prepped if you use tear-offs. We were all (the boyfriend, my father, and myself) very pleased with this helmet ... I'm kinda jealous ... maybe I should have kept it for myself, and let him keep wearing mine with the pink Hibiscus on it
Old 12-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I have 2 of the Stand 21 FIA 8860. One Carbon and one Silver. They are the best in my opinion. They also fit the best from all I tried. They can customize the fit which is very nice,pricing is very reasonable when compared with other FIA 8860 helmets.

http://www.google.com/search?q=fia+8...ed=0CHIQrQQwCg

FIA 8860 is the ultimate standard and is approved for anyone seeking 2010 rules compliance in any series.

http://www.stand21.fr/casques/ivos%2...ivos-AF-2.html
Old 12-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

Matt:
You mention you have an HJC currently. I am guessing that it is an SA2005, in which case you don't need to replace it unless you want to, until 2015. Look inside the helmet and fold the liner back near the crown of the helmet. You will see a shiny sticker that will have your helmet's SA rating.

As others have said, if you would like to try other brands, if possible find a local shop that carries motorsports helmets that you can try on. They all fit a little different. As far as my head goes I currently have a Bell Vortex. Bell, Arai, HJC, fit my head. Simpson and Sparco do not fit so well. All our heads are a little different so when picking a helmet, buy the one that fits the best. You don't an uncomfortable helmet.

Here's some info on the new HJC AR10. These have removable, washable liners like you mentioned you were looking for:

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/1-Dr...-RACING-HELMET

If considering a Bell, the SA2010 M4 is a good value as well.

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/1-Dr...-SA2010-HELMET

But, before you get started, check the SA rating on your current helmet. If it's an SA2005, you don't need to replace it for another 5 years.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,541 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
I have 2 of the Stand 21 FIA 8860. One Carbon and one Silver. They are the best in my opinion. They also fit the best from all I tried. They can customize the fit which is very nice,pricing is very reasonable when compared with other FIA 8860 helmets.

http://www.google.com/search?q=fia+8...ed=0CHIQrQQwCg

FIA 8860 is the ultimate standard and is approved for anyone seeking 2010 rules compliance in any series.

http://www.stand21.fr/casques/ivos%2...ivos-AF-2.html
I have one of their SA2000 F21 helmetts, and will be replacing it with the same early in 2011. Agree about fit & liightness!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Agree with Mark on both brands. If you need an extended size, the M4 is available in larger sizes as well (up to XXX-large).

http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/prod-2113.htm

It is good to try them on first and compare. If you go to the manufacturer's website, they usually list dealers by state so you can see if there's anyone near you.

Otherwise, we normally recommend wearing the helmet for 20 minutes or so to test it out if you mail order. If you start getting a headache or pressure points, consider another size or contact the business to confirm sizing. Some brands fit better in the forehead than others (if you head is more oval than round front to back), others offer different size cheek pads, etc.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 12-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Matt:
You mention you have an HJC currently. I am guessing that it is an SA2005, in which case you don't need to replace it unless you want to, until 2015. Look inside the helmet and fold the liner back near the crown of the helmet. You will see a shiny sticker that will have your helmet's SA rating.

As others have said, if you would like to try other brands, if possible find a local shop that carries motorsports helmets that you can try on. They all fit a little different. As far as my head goes I currently have a Bell Vortex. Bell, Arai, HJC, fit my head. Simpson and Sparco do not fit so well. All our heads are a little different so when picking a helmet, buy the one that fits the best. You don't an uncomfortable helmet.

Here's some info on the new HJC AR10. These have removable, washable liners like you mentioned you were looking for:

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/1-Dr...-RACING-HELMET

If considering a Bell, the SA2010 M4 is a good value as well.

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/1-Dr...-SA2010-HELMET

But, before you get started, check the SA rating on your current helmet. If it's an SA2005, you don't need to replace it for another 5 years.
Originally Posted by ApexPerformance
Agree with Mark on both brands. If you need an extended size, the M4 is available in larger sizes as well (up to XXX-large).

http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/prod-2113.htm

It is good to try them on first and compare. If you go to the manufacturer's website, they usually list dealers by state so you can see if there's anyone near you.

Otherwise, we normally recommend wearing the helmet for 20 minutes or so to test it out if you mail order. If you start getting a headache or pressure points, consider another size or contact the business to confirm sizing. Some brands fit better in the forehead than others (if you head is more oval than round front to back), others offer different size cheek pads, etc.
Thanks Mark. And Linda (I assume!).

Yup, my old one is a 2000 (M), so definitely need a new one for spring. I'll be checking in with you both for options soon.

Thanks and Best,

Matt

Quick Reply: SA 2010 helmet recs?