Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Face Shield or Sunglasses?
Face Shield
57.45%
Sunglasses or Clear Safety Glasses
42.55%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Face Shield or Sunglasses?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Apex Rex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Also, what's wrong with wearing contact lenses for all you guys with prescription specs? Then with a tinted shield you've got the best of both worlds.
I wear sunglasses behind a closed clear shield with my contact lenses. After getting smacked in the face by a rubber marble I always wear my shield closed even with the sunglasses under it.

My new helmet came to me with a tinted shield so I'll give that a try now, since a lot of people I know rave about the tinted shields. Plus it looks awesome with the dark shield and black helmet.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

This thread got me wondering whether or not F1 drivers (and others) wear contacts or glasses. The best answer I found was on Yahoo answers so take it a face value!

Aside from Bourdais and Jacques V., I remember a driver in the early 70s, Andrea de Adamich from Italy with his large black frames. He drove for Ferrari, McLaren-Alfa, March and Surtees from 1968 to 1973.

Keke Rosberg wasn't wearing eyeglasses during the times he was racing in F1.

More recently, Ralf Schumacher wore contact lenses. Robet Kubica has been wearing both prescription eyeglasses or contacts. Timo Glock wears contacts.

There is another current driver who may jump to F1 next year, Roldan Rodriguez. He wears eyeglasses.

Some of the reasons drivers opt for glasses instead of contacts are: The helmet air intake dries out the contacts (unless the intakes are positioned specifically to avoid the problem), and the massive lateral G forces tend to move the contacts from their predisposed location.

In NASCAR and Indy series, it is more common to see drivers wearing either contacts or glasses. Some have had Lasik (laser) surgery lately to correct their visual problems. But sometimes Lasik may not be the best or the most feasible solution.

P.S. I forgot to mention that Giancarlo Fisichella has been wearing contacts for many years. And going back to the past, the late Riccardo Paletti wore glasses.
I think it is interesting to think that very high G forces could dislodge a contact! Yikes.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:14 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've only used my helmet once, but it was for four hours in an off road race. It needed to be full face with forced air hook-up (BR-1), which I'm glad I have now for when I start doing DE's.
I just used sunglasses under a clear shield, but the arms being pressed into the side of my head became uncomfortable by the fourth hour. The shields are cheap enough and easy to change out, so I plan on getting a couple of different tinted ones to meet various lighting conditions.

As far as the open or shut debate. The face shield had to be fully shut to keep dust and rocks out, and the truck had a filtered and air conditioned forced air system, so it kept the air circulation moving in the desired path. I'll cobble together an air system for the car. A forced air helmet with the shield shut and air being blown in, should be more comfortable than a standard helmet with the shield slightly open.

One thing I remember when pulling up to the starting line, the driver told me: "If a rock is kicked up and coming toward your head, try to move your head if you can. But whatever you do, do not put your hand up to block it. You'll break your hand. Let the helmet and face shield take the hit, that's what its designed for."
Old 12-26-2010, 06:06 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
If I drove a 944 I would wear this -

Just because old 911s don't go fast enough to catch fire doesn't mean you have to be disparaging. Jealousy is such a curse.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:10 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Face shield, here is why:
Attached Images   
Old 12-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Sunglasses for prescription and sun control, visor for protection. I run mine slightly open and ready to flip down in case of an incident (which I hope I'm conscious to be able to flip it closed).
Old 12-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Face shield, here is why:
Deer?
Old 12-27-2010, 01:36 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Deer?
Yes, a pregnant doe (twins) tried to vault the car between turns 2 and 3 at Summit Point.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:59 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Visor = protection; glasses = better vision.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stupid question but I see that, for example, Bell helmets can come with a "Light Smoke" or "Dark Smoke" shield. Which one is the equivalent to ordinary sunglasses?
Old 12-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Glen
I am dumbfounded by the votes for visor in light of the precedent/evidence....I mean You think You are hot/uncomfortable, try a fire, You are dead...

Bad stuff happens so quickly, why not always stack the odds in Your favor every way You can?
YOu have to keep in mind that there are a variety of users in this forum. Some are doing HPDEs in blue jeans and t-shirts, in the family Ford Pinto. For that person, the added safety of a closed (vs open) visor is trivial.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

One question I will always have is why PCA does not allow me to use the window net during the test day? I always used my suit during DE's.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:31 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Sebring two weeks ago. It was like in slow motion. I saw the rock come off the tire in front of me. It hit the side mirror, hung an immediate left, and nailed me square between the eyes. Bloody results.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:06 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Wear sunglasses under the shield. Visor just doesnt seem to work that well in fires.....
Exactly what I do.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 12-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by MikeJim
Sebring two weeks ago. It was like in slow motion. I saw the rock come off the tire in front of me. It hit the side mirror, hung an immediate left, and nailed me square between the eyes. Bloody results.
Wow. Coulda been worse though, right?

Quick Reply: Face Shield or Sunglasses?