Sponsored by:

AIM Smartycam Wide Angles Lens

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:36 PM
observer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Yeah, the mount setup that way will really give you some serious vibration. Running the arm horizontally like that will usually make the vibration much worse.

On the Renault is that a CF intake (or is the bodywork CF)? If so that is probably part of the GPS reception problem. The GPS doesn't see through the CF and you're taking away 1/3 to 1/2 the satellites that the camera could use and as you go around the course you'll be blocking the ones you have locked onto and will start the searching process all over again.
All the panels are carbon fibre except the roll hoop/intake which is steel.

Not sure of what other ways to mount the cam, I did try with out the cradle and got serious vibrations.

If I was to run the arm, verticle would that reduce vibration?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah that CF is hurting you in the reception issue with the old style. In the video with the red/white car the receiver is in a good place where you wouldn't have that issue. Since you now have the updated version I wouldn't try mounting the receiver on the side of the engine cover/roll hoop.

Vertical would be the best especially with the weight of the SmartyCam. A bullet might be able to pull it off like that but like you mentioned earlier I'd work on a top of the rollhoop mount.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:27 PM
observer
Intermediate

Though the red/white car has a gps receiver, we only hooked up the Smarty Cam stand alone. As it also has a Evo 3 logger but the pro, and we couldnt get the Smarty Cam connected via the Can cable.

I plan on mounting the cam on top of the hoop next time and see how that goes.

Do you have any details on the Smarty Cam GP version?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by observer
Though the red/white car has a gps receiver, we only hooked up the Smarty Cam stand alone. As it also has a Evo 3 logger but the pro, and we couldnt get the Smarty Cam connected via the Can cable.

I plan on mounting the cam on top of the hoop next time and see how that goes.

Do you have any details on the Smarty Cam GP version?
I haven't had one in my hands yet. While I don't think it's going to be a big deal for the tin top guys I think it will be a huge plus for people with the open wheel platforms. In the SRF I have lots of mounting areas and room so I can use teh big beefy I/O Port mounts but with the situation you are in, the aero bullet mount would be a nice upgrade in my opinion.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:58 PM
observer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jordanAiM
SmartyCam does show lap times in the video. Make sure you all have the latest version of SmartyManager. We have incorporated GPSManager in SmartyManager. It is now a button labeled "Tracks". Simply connect SmartyCam to you lap top and launch SmartyManager to control all of the GPS functions including coordinates and track maps.

If anyone has questions about AiM products please don't hesitate to call either of our offices:

VA (540) 342-9681
CA (951) 674-9090

And if you have SmartyCam questions call either office and ask them for my number. I don't work in the offices and I just don't want to post my cell in public.

Lastly, with all of you AiM products make sure you have the latest firmware and software installed.
Jordan, I have read one of your posts on the Lotus Sport forum, you mentioned that the wave effect was fixed by playing with the shutter speed.. I assume the was done through a firmware update?. If you see the video of the red and white car I have posted you can see the wave effect is visible at the start of the video. This has the 01.00.42 firmware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV5O8ztKKsA

Also the level of service from Aim in the UK is pretty poor!

Quick Reply: AIM Smartycam Wide Angles Lens