Sponsored by:

AIM Smartycam Wide Angles Lens

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 04:08 PM
observer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIM Smartycam Wide Angles Lens

I notice that AIM made a few changes to their Smartycam spec, with the introduction of the extenal gps receiver option as well as a wide angle lens. Is there a way to update the cam for wide angle? I guess is simply case of fitting a wider angle lens? But would AIM supply the spare part?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 132 Posts

Here's info on the SmartyCam. http://www.smartycam.com/on-board-ca...-smartycam.htm

You should be able to purchase the wide angle lens from an AIM dealer in the UK. There are two listed on their dealer page here: http://www.aimsports.com/contact/distributors.html

Thanks,
Old 12-20-2010, 06:39 PM
observer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I should have mentioned I already have a smartycam which I bought from the US earlier this year, my is the older version with single output socket on the back and a 67deg lens, not the wide angle.

I have spoken to the UK dealers they dont supply the lens are they easy to change over by opening the unit?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 132 Posts

Observer:
I talked with our AIM rep today and he said you should be able to send yours in to a U.K. dealer and exchange it for an updated version. That's what they are doing here in the U.S.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:50 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Smarty Cam Zoom

Hi Observer

I noticed that the latest release of Smarty Manager (may have been there before but I missed it) has the option to zoom electronically. I have not tried it yet. Maybe this will help.

Cheers
Attached Images  
Old 12-25-2010, 04:23 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Observer

OK I was wrong. I went to the shop and tried changing the settings. It does not change the recorded image. Not sure why they have the option for zoom in the config area, I'll investigate.

I would contact your AIM rep and see if they can upgrade your camera since you have the pre external antenna version.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:06 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep any authorized AiM dealer can help you. Also AiM is releasing a version of the Smarty with a bullet camera so customers will have a choice of form factors.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:09 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey Guys -- regarding this wide angle lens, what's the thoughts of using it in 911? Looking at the smarty cam site, it recommends the standard lens for touring cars. Why would that be? I could see if it was really wide, but it really doesn't look that different...

Also, does the software have steering wheel option to show steering wheel turning based on steering wheel angle data.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Joe, the problem with many of the wideangle setups in a touring car is that you run into issues with the huge variation in light between teh outside and the inside of the car. One will be over/underexposed while the other is correct.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

The standard lens is plenty wide, the "wide angle" is for open cockpit cars or motorcycles.. Jerry - the reason AIM put useless stuff in the software is because that's what they do..
Old 12-26-2010, 09:00 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

JoeMag

If you are using the SC with AIM dash the steering pot data is available, however there is no steering wheel graphic like Motec uses. You could trick it and use the "Generic Bar" in the SC Manager. I'd try clutch position or something like that as the reference, using steering pot data. Then config your steering pot to be in the middle of the bar while straight ahead and adjust the low and high figures to show actual steering changes on the video. I'd probably try +/- 10 degrees as zero and 100% to see if that works for you. Steering pots usually have a lot of jagged movement so not sure it will be effective, but worth a try.
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2010, 09:19 AM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks Jerry... I don't have smarty cam yet. Probably will get in the spring. My steering pos'n does have some noise, but not too bad (attached is MidO, first turn is end of back stretch right hander). I'm running MoTeC string pot. AiM needs to get the steering wheel graphic.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JoeMag; 12-23-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:23 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

I like the way you connected the pot. I had not thought of doing it there, and your trace is not too bad. Interesting spike at 75. Is that really a big steerring correction?
Old 12-28-2010, 11:12 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Gents,

2 things:

1.) We struggled a lot this year with the AIM GPS stuff UNTIL the units were revised with the external GPS input for the Smarty Cam. AIM was great. I complained and whined, etc. and they had 3 engineers from Italy in our paddock in the middle of the summer and BOOM. The fix solved many GPS issues. As we all know, when you don't get lap times, it's frustrating. I can't stress enough how much the external GPS input helps.

2.) Attached is some in-car of a non-wide angle Smarty Cam setup in the Cayman. Joe Cooley is spot on; the wide angle is hard for sports cars because of the varying levels of light. The existing Smarty Cam software is great for spot focus and cleaning up a lot of that. As you can see, this frame width is pretty decent and the camera can still be mounted more forward or backward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNFjiU7V_TA
Old 12-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
I like the way you connected the pot. I had not thought of doing it there, and your trace is not too bad. Interesting spike at 75. Is that really a big steerring correction?
That's similar to where mine is attached Jerry! I wrapped the area in electrical tape to eliminate any edges that could cut the string (again).

Last edited by Gary R.; 12-28-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: AIM Smartycam Wide Angles Lens