Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spec Box (or other Porsche) rental, Buttonwillow Jan. 29-30?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:08 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Spec Box (or other Porsche) rental, Buttonwillow Jan. 29-30?

Business takes me to LA first week in February, 2011. I see that Speed Ventures has a DE at Buttonwillow January 29-30. I would like to get in some track time, if I can line up a car. Based on my experience with other rentals, I would like to drive a P-car (familiar user interface), so I can spend my time concentrating on the track, not fighting with an unfamiliar car. Anyone have a lead on a car? Any idea what a SoCal price should be? Thanks!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:12 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I might be able to get you in a 944 spec car. Tim Comeau in San Diego rents race ready 944 spec cars.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Porsche Ownes Club (POC) has their Performance Driving Series and intro clinic that same weekend at Streets of Willow Springs (tighter and shorter than BW).

I am sure that one of the POC members could provide a rental that weekend for the streets. I suggest you contact Nick Richards at GSR Autosport (www.gsrautosport.com) - nick@gsrautosport.com.

GSR usually has a couple of Boxster Spec cars for rent. Not sure if they will rent for the BW weekend, but it won't hurt to check.

Cheers,
Old 12-20-2010, 07:09 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
I might be able to get you in a 944 spec car....
Thanks, I am going to chase cars with engines behind the driver first (For more experienced drivers - is a 944 driven backwards about the same as a 911?)

Originally Posted by Krokodil
Porsche Ownes Club (POC) has their Performance Driving Series and intro clinic that same weekend at Streets of Willow Springs (tighter and shorter than BW)....
Thanks, any idea what the format for this event is? The Buttonwillow event is classic DE - 4 run groups, point bys, about 90 minutes of track time per day. Willow Springs / Streets is definitely on the list to drive, but I want to be able to run continuous laps for a while to work on line / speed.....
Old 12-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by facelvega
Thanks, any idea what the format for this event is? The Buttonwillow event is classic DE - 4 run groups, point bys, about 90 minutes of track time per day. Willow Springs / Streets is definitely on the list to drive, but I want to be able to run continuous laps for a while to work on line / speed.....
The Saturday format is a clinic (walks, class, skidpad) in the morning and lapping in the afternoon.

The Sunday format is 5 run sessions of 5 run groups. Point by passing in the straights in all but the Red run group (POC race licensed drivers only) where open passing is OK. I believe the first session is 20 minutes and all others are 25 minutes (IIRC), so 120 minutes of track time if you stay to the end.

All sessions are continuous lapping and AMB transponder timed, with sessions 2 - 4 counting toward your fast time of the day and class awards.

This event is at the Streets of Willow (SoW) not Big Willow (same location, different track). SoW is a great, tight 1.8 mile road course with on and off camber sections and nice elevation change. Wonderful in a BSR or Cayman. Check it out on google maps (satellite).

Check out www.porscheclub.com for more information. Registration will probably be up just after the first of the year. You can also PM for assistance.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Spec Box (or other Porsche) rental, Buttonwillow Jan. 29-30?