Sponsored by:

Sebring Lap Coached by Chris Hall

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 02:18 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
How close do you get to the Apex (cone) after the bridge when you are tracking out?
I would say that, on a good lap where I've gotten my entry right and I'm close to my max speed at mid-corner, there is a bit of fight between the bridge and that cone to get on the gas while fighting push. I always tell myself that I want the car as straight as possible as soon as possible as that's a long straight. Now, you can do that real early by scrubbing speed so that you're really straight mid-corner but that's not fast (see this topic on the other thread). Alternatively, you go in hard, keep up as much speed as possible while pulling the car tighter so that at the point when you're putting in throttle, you can do so linearly without backing out. I have found that the closer I am to that cone, the more I can stay in the throttle and thus not compromise my exit. As soon as I'm under the bridge, my eyes are up and focused on the bridge at the beginning of the front straight. That's my track out target. When I do this right (and to answer your question), I'm about a car-width from the cone.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

Congrats on your advancement in lap time. You know you guys have been talking a lot about T17 and the bump right before the drive-over bridge. Here is a second opinion from Seth Thomas when he coached me about a year ago. He likes and suggests hitting that bump b/c it helps rotate the car. it was our goal to have the car rotate and be on full throttle before or at that bridge. Here is a link to a lap with Seth. You can skip to the 2:06 mark, near the end, to see T17 and the bump.

http://vimeo.com/11081816

It's just another point of view that I thought I'd throw into the mix.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Brinkley
Mike,

Congrats on your advancement in lap time. You know you guys have been talking a lot about T17 and the bump right before the drive-over bridge. Here is a second opinion from Seth Thomas when he coached me about a year ago. He likes and suggests hitting that bump b/c it helps rotate the car. it was our goal to have the car rotate and be on full throttle before or at that bridge. Here is a link to a lap with Seth. You can skip to the 2:06 mark, near the end, to see T17 and the bump.

http://vimeo.com/11081816

It's just another point of view that I thought I'd throw into the mix.

Ding Ding Ding!!! WINNER!!!!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 12-18-2010, 04:41 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Very cool! Chris is a great guy (wked with him and them at the PSDS) - easy going personable guy that can communicate. One on one must have been fantastic, and it shows !

One of the best things about have a coach is when they go out in your car with your set up and just destroy your lap times, in my case at least. You fool yourself that your getting, if not the limits, at least reasonably close and then..... . Eye opener for sure.

But, I think one of the most underrated/least discussed aspects is that the Pro-rides re-calibrate your thinking - almost unconsciously the next time out I will drive smoother and much faster. Hard to explain but its like your mind is now accustomed to the speed, g-forces, sounds, etc., and you just do it. I can totally understand Bob's post in the 'early apex' thread re 'you have to experience it to really understand the method' (paraphrasing) as it first takes acclimation of the mind before the body will do .. esp in motorsport.

Invaluable experience.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:00 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Love the discussion on what is the "Ideal" line.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

That's a nice BDay gift from your honey and clearly it was worth it.
I would love to make the trek and drive there some day.
Happy BDay!
Old 12-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, I think that you need to do some serious work on your audio. I love the way your car shifts and I JUST CAN'T HEAR IT!! Brinkley's audio is much better.

BTW, nice driving, keep it up.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:40 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brinkley
Mike,

Congrats on your advancement in lap time. You know you guys have been talking a lot about T17 and the bump right before the drive-over bridge. Here is a second opinion from Seth Thomas when he coached me about a year ago. He likes and suggests hitting that bump b/c it helps rotate the car. it was our goal to have the car rotate and be on full throttle before or at that bridge.
Well, you gotta like that lap! 3-5 was good, 7 was nice, 10 was REALLY good. That's the line I was describing in 17. Nice and close on the back side of the corner and pointed to the left side of the bridge. Really nice!

Only one question. What kind of gearing do you have in the car? Is it stock?
Old 12-19-2010, 01:41 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Mike, I think that you need to do some serious work on your audio. I love the way your car shifts and I JUST CAN'T HEAR IT!! Brinkley's audio is much better.

BTW, nice driving, keep it up.
The Race Keeper was not mine...Chris my coach brought his over and hooked it up beofre the 1st session. He second video with the helmet cam is mine and still not great audio. My car has Tubi mufflers which are rather quiet at the track...odd thing about Tubi is they are lound from around 2500-4000rpm and then get quiet...I can;t stand that because you've got to hear the qucik and perfect rev matches this car does. LOL
Old 12-19-2010, 01:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Well, you gotta like that lap! 3-5 was good, 7 was nice, 10 was REALLY good. That's the line I was describing in 17. Nice and close on the back side of the corner and pointed to the left side of the bridge. Really nice!

Only one question. What kind of gearing do you have in the car? Is it stock?
Brinkley's car is far from stock...it's gutted with I believe a 3.8L, suspension work, huge wing, ect. really super cool car....nothing like any Boxster you'd think of.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PedroNole, You were questioning the gearing, The box is the original Boxster S 6 speed (stock gears) with a Guards Transmission LSD.

MDrums, the motor is a 3.6L, Its Kevin that has the 3.8L

Quick Reply: Sebring Lap Coached by Chris Hall