Sponsored by:

Iracing car mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:17 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Iracing car mods

Is there a way to modify the horsepower on a car in IRacing??

im trying to find a way to get a car which has the characteristics of a Boxster in terms of weight and horsepower. The closest i see is that Mazda Cup but its shy about 25 hp though weight is pretty close.

not that big of a deal, but figured id try.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably need to be a bit of a programmer. There's always Forza 3 or Gran Turismo 5. They offer the Boxster and a handful of US tracks.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Veer12
Banned

Thumbs down

Sound Good!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:07 PM
GaryM05
Advanced

No, there is no way to modify the horsepower on the iRacing cars. There are a few cars that might come fairly close to the Boxster, but nothing that's dead-on right now.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:41 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
Is there a way to modify the horsepower on a car in IRacing??

im trying to find a way to get a car which has the characteristics of a Boxster in terms of weight and horsepower. The closest i see is that Mazda Cup but its shy about 25 hp though weight is pretty close.

not that big of a deal, but figured id try.
what difference would the hp of the car make? I love iracing and use sim racing to keep me sharp but its still not the same as being in the real car.

Use it for concentration, learning the track, and keeping your instincts up while racing with others on the track. I think if you try to mimic it to your boxster it may have more of a negative affect, but that is just my .02.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:06 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ajcjr
what difference would the hp of the car make? I love iracing and use sim racing to keep me sharp but its still not the same as being in the real car.

Use it for concentration, learning the track, and keeping your instincts up while racing with others on the track. I think if you try to mimic it to your boxster it may have more of a negative affect, but that is just my .02.
while your response didnt really answer my question if it was possible to modify a car....the simple response your response is that a 178 hp miata cup car handles differently than a 230 hp 2005 boxster. the brake zones are different. they trail brake differently, and the look and feel of the track as it comes at you, at the speed at which if comes at you is entirely different.
your brake markers are different etc.

in a 300hp iracing car, id be braking outside the 2marker into the chicane at daytona. in the miata, its more like 1.5ish.

i look at the iracing as a preparatory tool. and yeah, i agree its not as realistic, obviously as the track, but you can for certain get the timing down and can memorize visual cues for turn in and braking, etc. and those are very much speed and braking dependent.

or not.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

GaryM05 answered you, no modification besides what is available in setup. I would say try some different cars, the best you can hope for is "close" even if the Boxster was modeled. I think memorizing braking points in iRacing to use in real life is not going to work regardless of how well they model the car and close is good enough.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't worry too much about the speed of the car and braking points. I have an SRF and it's different enough that those aren't too great. However the line, sight picture and gear choices are dead on and that's all I care about. I imagine you should be able to get those from the MX-5 pretty well. Not sure what your car turns on VIR full but the MX5 cup can rattle off a low 2:14 high 2:13 in real life.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:49 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Don't worry too much about the speed of the car and braking points. I have an SRF and it's different enough that those aren't too great. However the line, sight picture and gear choices are dead on and that's all I care about. I imagine you should be able to get those from the MX-5 pretty well. Not sure what your car turns on VIR full but the MX5 cup can rattle off a low 2:14 high 2:13 in real life.
you sort of hit on the bigger issue. for example at Daytona, the grand am car will turn 2:10ish. on iracing, its like 2:18, 19, 2:20.
thats a fair different tempo.

thx for all the thoughts.
later and have a good holiday.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Which car are you talking about when you mention the GrandAm car?
Old 12-17-2010, 09:00 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Which car are you talking about when you mention the GrandAm car?
we're running 986/987 boxsters in the ST class in grand am conti this year.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

You're talking the MX-5 vs an ST Boxster. Got it.

Maybe run the Mustang Challenge car instead of the MX-5. Anyway you cut it, you'll still be better for it with the 'comfort' of running a track you've been around a LOT.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:07 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

You're talking the MX-5 vs an ST Boxster. Got it.

Maybe run the Mustang Challenge car instead of the MX-5. Anyway you cut it, you'll still be better for it with the 'comfort' of running a track you've been around a LOT.
100% agree. love me some iracing. every time ive rolled off the trailer to a new circuit with simply IRacing time, ive been so comfortable and within 1 or 2 sessions been up to or near full tempo. the timing thing i think should be fairly realistic if the hp, weights are abou tthe same.

i really like iracing. i wish it ahd a few things:
1. the ability to edit and/or create a car
2. a porsche. thing dont got no love for the german cars
3. virtual racing. sometimes i dont have the patience to wait around for the actual racing, nor want all the structure of an actual race. would be nice to race against virtual race cars. even better, select a button that gives me the ability to follow a top driver on theoretically perfect or near ideal laps, kind of thing. that would be slick.

maybe they have all this and im too lazy to read the help files.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

As for Porsche it's the other way around. Porsche don't got no love for iRacing. They won't let iRacing scan a GT3 Cup or the like.

Definitely would love to have the 'follow the leader' with some virtual hotshoe laps. Although I've done that enough in regular races that it just makes me sad about how fast some people are online.

Boxsters with Deman?
Old 12-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Well, IIRC #2 is simply because Electronic Arts, another software company, bought the exclusive rights to use the Porsche quite a while back. It's my understanding that this agreement is ending soon and iRacing fully intends on adding the 911.

Quick Reply: Iracing car mods