Sponsored by:

SUV for Towing

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 04:07 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Sean

Yeah I know it just seemed to me that GM had their head in the feed more than others.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:38 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 244 Posts

Can't say that I have compared and contrasted all of the options mentioned but will put a plug in for the Armada. I have been towing with mine since 05 and love it. Factory tow package with air suspension is a must and it does uses premium fuel. I've heard some folks use regular, but the manual say premium and I stick to it.

Just helped a buddy move his 50-something Packard last weekend, good lord that thing was huge. Still pulled it like nothing there (open trailer)...
Old 12-17-2010, 03:21 AM
Kenneth Greenfield
Intermediate

Default TOW VEHICLE

Hi There,

While there has been some talk in this thread about the Porsche Cayenne, I would like to add a bit about it. I had an '09 Cayenne with the V-6. Towed a 28' trailer with a 3,000 lbs. car, associated spares, and a golf cart with no problem whatever.

While there has been a lot said abut MB's I had a 350 and it did not hold a candle to the Cayenne. The Cayenne is one of the most underrated SUV's on the market. It is only five seats and does require premium but I loved it to death as it was agile for 5,000 lbs. and a joy to drive in all conditions towing or not. The newer models have shed about 400 lbs which will help and they even have a hybrid model that will get 25 MPG on the highway.

I graduated to a 48' trailer recently and bought a Ford F-350 diesel. Great truck for heavier loads. Not needing the Cayenne for towing any longer I traded this week for a 2011 Panamera.

While this has nothing to do with this thread and a lot of the Porsche faithful hate it (as they do/did the Cayenne) it is a wonderful car and like the Cayenne it allows a Porsche enthusiast to drive with a comfortable car when you want more than two seats. The Panamera in my opinion is a far better car than an "S" class MB or a seven series BMW.

That is all off subject but please consider the Cayenne. I believe it will do all that you need and provide you with a super vehicle when not towing.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:35 AM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenneth Greenfield
Hi There,

While there has been some talk in this thread about the Porsche Cayenne, I would like to add a bit about it. I had an '09 Cayenne with the V-6. Towed a 28' trailer with a 3,000 lbs. car, associated spares, and a golf cart with no problem whatever.

While there has been a lot said abut MB's I had a 350 and it did not hold a candle to the Cayenne. The Cayenne is one of the most underrated SUV's on the market. It is only five seats and does require premium but I loved it to death as it was agile for 5,000 lbs. and a joy to drive in all conditions towing or not. The newer models have shed about 400 lbs which will help and they even have a hybrid model that will get 25 MPG on the highway.

I graduated to a 48' trailer recently and bought a Ford F-350 diesel. Great truck for heavier loads. Not needing the Cayenne for towing any longer I traded this week for a 2011 Panamera.

While this has nothing to do with this thread and a lot of the Porsche faithful hate it (as they do/did the Cayenne) it is a wonderful car and like the Cayenne it allows a Porsche enthusiast to drive with a comfortable car when you want more than two seats. The Panamera in my opinion is a far better car than an "S" class MB or a seven series BMW.

That is all off subject but please consider the Cayenne. I believe it will do all that you need and provide you with a super vehicle when not towing.
What type of 28' trailer? Did you use sway bars, weight distrubition hitch? Just wondering because i towed a 24' Haulmark with a 1500 Yukon XL and it towed fine but its also longer than the Cayenne but i would rather drive the Cayenne daily.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2010, 10:49 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenneth Greenfield
Hi There,

While there has been some talk in this thread about the Porsche Cayenne, I would like to add a bit about it. I had an '09 Cayenne with the V-6. Towed a 28' trailer with a 3,000 lbs. car, associated spares, and a golf cart with no problem whatever..
I don't see how that is possible.

28' trailer is going to be 3500lbs minimum + 3000lbs car = 6500lbs

Then add in 1000lbs golf cart + 200lbs for tires (minimum) and 200lbs for other grear = 7900lbs.

That is alot of weight and length for a cayenne of any engine size. That seems like mess waiting to happen.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd rather be driving a Cayenne than my ML320 which doesn't handle all that sharply...comfortable but definitely not in the Cayenne's league as far as handling. One of the problems here in Canada is that a comparable Cayenne is over $30,000 more than the ML (new) and the Cayennes depreciate faster than condoms. The ML's diesel is also a huge plus as it gets spectacular fuel economy and no arguing with 400 lb/ft of torque. Not great throttle response but at least your not dashing from gas station to gas station.
The SUVs make great day to day drivers especially in winter climates and for the maybe 5% of the time I spend towing I'm not willing to drive a huge heffalump pickup truck...and don't want to buy one and have it sit for 95% of the time. No question that towing with a smaller SUV is a compromise...but it does work.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Marks951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A durango is a good option as long as it has the 5.7 hemi, they can be found with rear air, 3rd row seat, dvd, and navigation pretty cheap.

The Jeep Cherokee is also in the same category but doesn't have the third row, but does have AWD.

If you'd consider the MB or AUDi you should look at an Explorer, their tow capacity is close, but they can be found with AWD, the 4.6 V8, navigation, rear air, 3rd row seat, and DVD pretty reasonable. It's not as big as the Expedition, but the 330 other days of the year when it's not towing it is great around town.

If it's a dedicated tow vehicle, then step up to a truck or an Excursion.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kush07
Toyota sequoia. Tows almost 10,000 lbs. Three rows. Third row is legitimately comfortable for adults and folds flat at the push of a button. Ton of space for gear with the third row down. Big, yes, but makes plenty of NYC trips.
According to http://www.toyota.com/sequoia/specs.html it has a towing capacity of 6,900.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:42 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
According to http://www.toyota.com/sequoia/specs.html it has a towing capacity of 6,900.
Toyota re-rated the sequoia based on a new SAE towing standard. They are the first auto maker to do that. But also remember the tow rating is
lower with the base V8 as compared to the 5.7L.

The 4.6L = 6900lbs an 5.7L = 7400. I think it used to be 10k in 2008-2010.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:39 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just went through this. YUKON DENALI XL is the winner for me. I love it! With the trailer you tow, you wont event feel it back there. I love my truck and I've only had it 2 days!
Old 12-18-2010, 12:59 AM
jittsl
Racer

If you can get away with 5 seats then you can't go past the cayenne for towing an open trailer. Failing that my best bud has a Q7 with the diesel and it does a wonderful job of fitting lots of people and towing his 996 on aluminum trailer. People who recommend American trucks have never done thousand mile days in German comfort.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,608 Likes on 2,304 Posts

^ that's what i thougt. i hated american cars.
then i bought a new cayenne gts and a new GMC 2500 duramax slt. towing or not, i like the gmc a lot more than pepper. but that's me. certainly better than my bmw's.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:41 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JimmiLew
Just went through this. YUKON DENALI XL is the winner for me. I love it! With the trailer you tow, you wont event feel it back there. I love my truck and I've only had it 2 days!
heehee. you actually got an suv. i have the TRUCK.
i really love it. so much so, i want a dually now.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:23 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,186 Likes on 1,876 Posts

I would never tow a car with an open trailer let alone an enclosed with the the MB ML series. That is not made for that kind of weight, wheel base is too short and I'd worry about the rear wagging the dog.

FWIW, I'd love to get a diesel SUV, but can't seem to find a good reason to part with my 2000 Yukon XL. Almost 11 years old, 100,000 miles, room for everyone in the family and nice leather interior. Just towed car for 6 hours yesterday in rain and traffic without stopping. VERY COMFORTABLE.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:33 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ second that. unfortunately the big suv's now dont come in diesels ugh.

Quick Reply: SUV for Towing