Sponsored by:

SUV for Towing

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 03:34 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Biggest engine does not mean necessarily better. The 6.0 in the 2500 model is more suited for heavy duty towing on a regular basis IMO.Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Must be what GM thought as well, Weird that they don't put the HP and torque figures on the GMC website like they do for the 5.3 and 6.0. I have two 6.2s in my boat and in that application, sustained high RPMs, they are fantastic.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:20 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What happened to GM was not a bankruptcy in accordance with U.S. bankruptcy law. Unsecured creditors (the UAW) were given aproximately 40% of the company while secured creditors who had real ownership/property rights (bond holders) received nothing. The machinations did not end there, as General Motors tried to downsize their operation and leave their downtown office space on the riverfront to move to an existing facitilty that houses their engineering and operations the were stopped as a favor to the mayor of the city of Detroit. The hilarious part is that GM has not changed and did not shed the burdens that it might have under a legal bankruptcy. GM has become highly politiczed and many americans will never buy one again, myself included. If you think that GM is going to show a profit to the Government you are obviously completely unaware of the facts.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:27 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
...GM has become highly politiczed and many americans will never buy one again, myself included. ...
I will only buy a GM vehicle that can tow. And then it will because a) the only 2500 SUV is the GM suburban b) the 2500 durmax/allison combo is darn good.

beyond that why bother.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:34 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

What happened to GM was not a bankruptcy in accordance with U.S. bankruptcy law. Unsecured creditors (the UAW) were given aproximately 40% of the company while secured creditors who had real ownership/property rights (bond holders) received nothing. The machinations did not end there, as General Motors tried to downsize their operation and leave their downtown office space on the riverfront to move to an existing facitilty that houses their engineering and operations the were stopped as a favor to the mayor of the city of Detroit. The hilarious part is that GM has not changed and did not shed the burdens that it might have under a legal bankruptcy. GM has become highly politiczed and many americans will never buy one again, myself included. If you think that GM is going to show a profit to the Government you are obviously completely unaware of the facts.
Sounds like someone around here got stuck holding worthless GM bonds. And what major business in America is not highly politicized? I still love Chevys and apple pie, feel free to buy all of the ugly Fords you want.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:25 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While this is spot on and absolutely correct, I went and bought a GM vehicle anyways (for the first time in my life, I usualy buy Ford SUVs). I did not let my political views sway my objectivity in selecting a SUV to tow my box trailer with and haul my family around. After carefully reviewing my short list, the GMC Yukon Denali XL was the CLEAR winner. It has all the power, space, bells & whistles, OnStar, and towing capacity I need. Plus, I really wanted to buy American.

Do I hate sending money to Union coffers? Absolutely! But, objecively, this product just beat the competition hands down. And isnt competition excactly what capitalism is all about? The best truck won for me!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:36 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Part of the problem is that a diesel 3/4 toon Suburban wouuld sticker at 50k or more. The market for a 50k Suburban, when oil is high & thus the economy is low, is very small.

My 2500 8.1L suburban was near 55k before T&L in 2003! I need a new vehicle to replace my tired SUV. But hey we are all racers running P's no less and burning $1500 set of tires if we want to win so even 65K on the best tow vehicle would probably fly. Guys with horses spend what we spend on our cars btw and they would love to tow horses around with a diesel. If GM did the diesel I bet it would be surprised at the sales. Who would the competition be? And just for the record two tow trucks one heavy and one light with the same tow capacity the heavy tow vehcile tows better, easier, and safer. I also would be very leary of towing with short wheelbase if longer exists.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Kenneth Greenfield
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

The 28' was a Pace American. I did use both sway bars and weight distribution hitch. The weight of the rig was pretty close to the factory stated limit. That was with a 3,000 lbs Boxster "S". I now use a 48' trailer to tow two 914-6's, golf cart, etc. Too much for the Cayenne so I have an F-350 with diesel and it tows just fine.

Loved the Cayenne and for most people towing 5,000-6,000 lbs. it will be more than adequate and that is with a V-6 not a V-8.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Kenneth Greenfield
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe,

I beg to differ. It towed just fine and I had no issues. With sway bars on the hitch and proper setup it did the job.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Biggest engine does not mean necessarily better. The 6.0 in the 2500 model is more suited for heavy duty towing on a regular basis IMO.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Any comments from someone towing with one of these?

I'm wrestling with what to do for my next vehicle. I really like my 2005 F-250 SuperDuty (6.0 Diesel) but there are a not of times that I could really use the interior setup of a Suburban.

My trailer is approx 7500-8000 pounds when fully loaded.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 01-10-2011, 08:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,054 Likes on 1,791 Posts

Originally Posted by jonmacs22
One option to consider if this is going to be a tow vehicle and kid mobile, pick up a used 2500 Suburban, beat the snot out of it and call it a day.

You can find great condition 2006 models that are rated to tow 10k lbs and about $20k asking price.
Heck, you can find 2007 (the latest generation) 2500 for $23K-$25K. I know, I've had several and just bought my second new one.

You can talk all you want about Mercedes GL/Porsche Cayenne/NiTo pickups but if you want a truck to tow with secure interior and 9200 lbs no questions asked tow capacity, the 6.0 2500 Suburban is the daddy! Torsion bars and leaf springs make for a much more stable towing platform.

My trade will be at Bill Black Chevrolet in Greensboro in about seven weeks...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-10-2011, 08:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rick
Any comments from someone towing with one of these?

I'm wrestling with what to do for my next vehicle. I really like my 2005 F-250 SuperDuty (6.0 Diesel) but there are a not of times that I could really use the interior setup of a Suburban.

My trailer is approx 7500-8000 pounds when fully loaded.

Thanks,

Rick
I've owned three 2500 Suburbans. 1982 with the 454, 1992 with the 454 and 2007 I bought new with the 6.0 (only motor available). I've put nearly a quarter million miles, much of it towing a tall 24' box at 7K weight, over the last two and a half decades and wouldn't consider anything else. A pickup is too light in the back (even DRW) and it's wasted space. Only problems I've had are trans and TC issues, covered under warranty.

In 2007, I spec'd a new 2500 4WD LT3 (DVD/Leather/Nav/highest spec possible) and have really enjoyed it. Now, with 97K miles, it's time for a new one. I get 10-12 in town, 15-17 on the highway and put tires on every 40K.

Yes, I have a Featherlite 32 with an F-350 for when I want to take two cars, but I drive the Suburban every day and use it as my coaching office at the track.

Fold down the second seat, set up the laptop and the monitor and work with my client in the third row. Shaded, climate controlled and comfortable. It's awesome. Heck, VR probably does the same!

I would not venture to tow near as much with a 1500 LT or LTZ. If you decide on a 2500 Suburban, there are very good incentives going on and you want an LT with the Sunroof/Entertainment/Destination package for the kids.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Almost all gas Suburbans (1500 or 2500) sticker over $50k and you would think demand would be down with gas over $3 but I could not find any 2010s left and most dealers willing to take only the $2000 GM rebate off sticker on 2011s. Finally got a good deal at Sport Chevrolet in Silver Spring, sticker $50,070 for a stripped 2500 LT, and they took off about 12% to $44,300.
You've got that right! I've been looking for six weeks! No more 2010's and very few 2011's in the stripped LT spec I want (Luxury package ONLY). I got near that kind of deal at Bill Black in Greensboro, NC so I feel lucky.

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
I got $5,500 for my 2001 Suburban 2500 with dents, rust, broken A/C and leaky exhaust manifolds on a trade in for a new one.
I got $21,500 for my 2007 LT3 2500 Suburban (high miles, 97K) that was extra clean Kelly black book with no issues in trade for a new one. They had a place to go with it, so it must me in demand.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
If GM would put a diesel in a burb I'd be first in line!
They talked about a DM/Allison combination at one time, but it will take a platform change to do it due to the larger tunnel required for the Allison.

Agree that would be the deal!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:53 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Can't beat this setup. Audi Q7 TDI with air suspension. Comes wired from the factory for the brake controller, automatically turns off side assist, auto leveling, turns off rear sensors, camera works for easy hookups, etc. etc. I get 22+ mpg and the diesel torque makes the trailer/car a non-event. Just my opinion.

Mike
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2011, 12:47 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
Can't beat this setup. Audi Q7 TDI with air suspension. Comes wired from the factory for the brake controller, automatically turns off side assist, auto leveling, turns off rear sensors, camera works for easy hookups, etc. etc. I get 22+ mpg and the diesel torque makes the trailer/car a non-event. Just my opinion.

Mike
22+ towing a trailer or hwy, no trailer?

Quick Reply: SUV for Towing